General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I close to being ready? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-12 8:37 AM

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: Am I close to being ready?
I'm *starting* to think I actually might survive my first sprint triathlon at the Buckner Mission Man in two weeks. Yesterday I ran 5.6 K in the 98 degree heat around the Charlotte airport - a really bad idea, but I was happy I did it. I came home and swam in our pool using a resistance band for 14 minutes, then hopped on the bike for 11 miles. A few months ago it would be all I could do to do any *one* of those things in one day, but to have done all three in a day was fairly encouraging. Granted, I didn't string them together consecutively..I had about 20 minutes between the swim and bike, but I was encouraged that I was approaching the full distances for all events at the Buckner Sprint Tri. I also FELT good and knew I could have gone a lot further on the bike and swim..so again, encouraging.

The next two weeks I hope to concentrate on putting two events together quickly (bricks?) and practice the transitions. So far I've lost 13 pounds in the past couple months and am finally under 200 pounds for the first time in about 6 years! My vow is to never see above 200 again. My target is around 185 (I'm 6' 2").

I'm still pretty nervous about this whole event though. I just don't want to get in anyone's way and really don't want to embarrass myself. Finishing will be an accomplishment..lol..

Anyway - just thought I'd post an update. I'll take any suggestions on first-tri hints and tips...(particularly if they are specific to Buckner). Is anyone else going to be there?

BeachAV8R

2015-07-13 2:30 PM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Am I close to being ready?
I'd love to join you but won't be able to. Don't worry about getting in anyone's way- there WILL be someone more clueless than you. Its a nice race- not too crowded so you really won't bother anyone. Be prepared for some heat though and save a little something for the run- two loops on those little trails can get rough if you are already toast. I remember thinking very clearly "I dont ever want to exercise again" on lap 2 of the run (it was my first triathlon as well)! For the next couple of weeks, try get used to the heat- sounds like you are doing that. YEah, practice transitions and think through what you are going to put in transition (less is more!). Seriously, don't put endless junk there. Its a sprint. You don't need a lot of "stuff" other than the essentials. They have aid stations on the run so you can get water. Think about silly things like "am I going to wear socks on the bike and run" and ask away.
2015-07-13 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
You can definitely do it, way to gooooo, wooohooooo!!!

My advice - don't push too hard on the bike. Save some for the run. And have fun!!!!
2015-07-13 7:27 PM

User image

, North Carolina
its a good race. Like the other two responses.....enjoy it. The nerves will fade once you start going. Agree that the run is tough. A couple of hills on the trail can be challenging. Have you practiced any in the open water? Buckner Mission Man is an OWS, so just make sure you are comfortable there. Dont worry about being in anyone's way. Just start the swim on the back right and let all the knees and elbows go out before you. No need to get involved in that to save a few seconds. Being two weeks out, I would venture to say your fitness level is pretty much where it is going to be for the race, so just focus on getting some good stretching in, some shorter runs/bikes and just stay loose. Being your first race, make sure you eat something the night before that you know your body can digest. Run through your transitions a couple times over the next couple weeks, and just be deliberate about what youre doing in transition. Dont want a DQ for not putting your helmet on or something stupid.
Again, have fun.

2015-07-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by louiskie
I'd love to join you but won't be able to. Don't worry about getting in anyone's way- there WILL be someone more clueless than you. Its a nice race- not too crowded so you really won't bother anyone. Be prepared for some heat though and save a little something for the run- two loops on those little trails can get rough if you are already toast. I remember thinking very clearly "I dont ever want to exercise again" on lap 2 of the run (it was my first triathlon as well)! For the next couple of weeks, try get used to the heat- sounds like you are doing that. YEah, practice transitions and think through what you are going to put in transition (less is more!). Seriously, don't put endless junk there. Its a sprint. You don't need a lot of "stuff" other than the essentials. They have aid stations on the run so you can get water. Think about silly things like "am I going to wear socks on the bike and run" and ask away.

Thanks for all the tips. I actually feel like I'm about 90% ready and think that the nervousness and being amped up a bit will bridge the other 10%.. The main thing I want to concentrate on, particularly on the swim, is not getting caught up in trying to keep pace with those around me. I just want to do what I've been doing and hopefully stick to that plan. And like you said, it being a sprint, I'm only putting one water bottle on the bike and that's it..

I haven't laid eyes on the Buckner course yet - do people wear sunglasses on the run or is it in the trees?
Originally posted by triblogcarol
You can definitely do it, way to gooooo, wooohooooo!!! My advice - don't push too hard on the bike. Save some for the run. And have fun!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I've got my eye on the prize after this first tri (Mexican food & a margarita..lol..)
Originally posted by Wthore
its a good race. Like the other two responses.....enjoy it. The nerves will fade once you start going. Agree that the run is tough. A couple of hills on the trail can be challenging. Have you practiced any in the open water? Buckner Mission Man is an OWS, so just make sure you are comfortable there. Dont worry about being in anyone's way. Just start the swim on the back right and let all the knees and elbows go out before you. No need to get involved in that to save a few seconds. Being two weeks out, I would venture to say your fitness level is pretty much where it is going to be for the race, so just focus on getting some good stretching in, some shorter runs/bikes and just stay loose. Being your first race, make sure you eat something the night before that you know your body can digest. Run through your transitions a couple times over the next couple weeks, and just be deliberate about what youre doing in transition. Dont want a DQ for not putting your helmet on or something stupid.
Again, have fun.

Thanks for the tip about the nerves. I just hope I can sleep the night before. Regarding open water - yes, I'm comfortable in open water. I'm an avid windsurfer and snorkeling fiend..so water is not a problem. I did do an illicit open water swim on a lake here in Kings Mountain a couple weeks ago at 6:30am. Nobody bothered me about it, but when I got home I did look up the city ordinances and it is illegal to swim in the lakes here. Man, things have changed from when I was growing up.

Good tip on starting at the back right. You addressed one of the questions I had - what do I do for the 48 hours prior to the tri? I figured some reduced level swimming, running, and biking (maybe half the distances?) and then the day off prior?

This week I'm going to practice my transitions in the backyard. I have a swimming pool so I can go right from tethered swimming to hopping on the bike. As a pilot for a career, I'm used to learning and doing things in a very specific order and getting the memory items to happen in the right order, so I plan to approach it that way, almost like a mental checklist.

Any advice on where to rack my bike as a newbie to stay out of people's way and not aggravate the experienced participants?

Sorry for all the questions - just really super excited to be doing this and can't hardly believe it's happening very soon. I know this stuff is passe for some of you by now..but this is a really neat moment for me in my life. Dropping 15 pounds and getting into better shape is something that will affect my whole life and is such an overall positive that I'm thankful to have been inspired into doing this by seeing those other triathletes biking past McDonalds last year.

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R 2015-07-14 10:16 AM
2015-07-14 1:22 PM
in reply to: #5128180

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Quick note: the run is about 0.5 or 0.75 miles in the sun on the road, then mainly shaded in the woods, then repeat that. Another fun thing to do is go and read old race reports from the race. There is a search function somewhere that can get you to them. Loads of good info in there.

2015-07-14 8:17 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Everyone has different routines. As for me, the day before the race, I might just go and run a few miles, just at a really relaxed pace, and stretch out to stay loose. You probably won't be able to sleep the night before, so if you don't sleep well, dont sweat it. You will probably be thinking about everything that you need to pack in your bag, did you forget anything, yada yada yada....then, did you set your alarm. I'd say make a list of what you know you need to take, pack it and check it off. Lists help me to not worry too much about whether I missed something. Then, just set two alarms, and you should be good.
As for racking your bike....I dont remember if this race has a specific spot for your bike (your race number), or whether it will be a range of numbers and you can rack your bike anywhere on the rack that your number is in. For example, if your race number is 102, there may be a rack that is for racers 100-110, and you can rack your bike anywhere on that rack. I'd say not worry too much about getting in peoples way. There will probably be some racers that are super serious about it, but they will most likely be gone before you get to your bike.

Again, have fun out there. Its the journey!
2015-07-15 2:04 AM
in reply to: Wthore

User image

Originally posted by Wthore
There will probably be some racers that are super serious about it, but they will most likely be gone before you get to your bike.

They may actually be HOME before I get to my bike...LOL..

2015-07-15 7:23 PM

User image

So I put my tri-bike in the shop yesterday to get a tune-up and make sure all the components are looking OK (the bike doctor said all appeared pretty good with it). I get it back tomorrow, but tonight I wanted to practice my swim - bike transition. So I hopped in our pool and swam tethered for 15 minutes, hopped out, and went through the motions of the transition. With my tri-bike in the shop, I substituted my mountain bike - and man, that thing is hard to pedal on the same road course I pedal my tri-bike on. LOL. And it doesn't help that it doesn't have clip-in pedals... But it was good practice.

And today I celebrated a major milestone - the first time I've been under 200 pounds in five years! My hope and desire is to never see > 200 again ever!

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/200.jpg

BeachAV8R
2015-07-15 10:21 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, congrats on getting lean and fit, and good luck! Sounds like you are on spot with all your training!
2015-07-17 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Congrats on the weight loss! You're ready. I've see you post on here leading up to this event and I'm sure you're going to get out there and rock it. As others have said, have fun, race your race, and thank the volunteers!

2015-07-17 3:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by d00d

Congrats on the weight loss! You're ready. I've see you post on here leading up to this event and I'm sure you're going to get out there and rock it. As others have said, have fun, race your race, and thank the volunteers!

Thanks Carol and d00d. I'm really, really looking forward to it. I'd say I'm 80% excited, 20% nervous...at least a week out. Next Friday I'll probably be 80% nervous, 20% nauseous.

I picked up my bike out of the shop today (glad to be off that mountain bike!). The gears definitely sound smoother - but I didn't really notice a huge difference in ride or anything. I think you'd have to be a professional biker to really catch all the intricacies of bike personalities I guess.

Today I did 12 miles in Kings Mountain National Military Park, which is only about five miles from my house. Maybe next year I'll be able to ride the Over the Mountain if I continue training through the winter (I plan to). What a beautiful rolling road though the park. And the speed limit varies between 25 and 35 - so the very few vehicles that are traveling through there are not zipping along. Had a bit of a scare when zipping down one of the hills though - was in the aero position and startled either a groundhog or a squirrel and he darted out in front of me, then quickly changed his mind and went back into the woods. Scared the daylights out of me because there was no time to react and get up on the handlebars and hit the brakes.

Me:

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/BIKE/BIKE-001.jpg

My Routie app data...that climb at 8 miles was a bit demoralizing. I had to stop on the climb, but only because this was my first time riding this road and I had no idea I was so close to the top. Next time I won't have to stop.

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/BIKE/BIKE-002.jpg

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/BIKE/BIKE-003.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement and all the tips. I did have one more question - and I think I have it figured out, but wanted to be sure. I was looking at pictures from last year's Mission Man tri and was specifically checking out the swim course. It looks like it goes out, goes left, then comes back in. My question is..I see the orange mid-marker buoy on the way out, then yellow buoys marking the corners - is it swimmers discretion which side of the mid-marker buoy you pass on - because it looks from the photos that people pass that buoy on either side, but all of them go around the corner buoys. (?)

Photo of what I'm talking about: http://www.mudspikeftp.com/BIKE/BIKE-004.JPG

Regards,
BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R 2015-07-17 3:37 PM
2015-07-17 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC

Oh, I hate those squirrels playing daredevil games. I see that alot, and thankfully never got into my spokes. (knocking on wood)

In answer to this question: "My question is..I see the orange mid-marker buoy on the way out, then yellow buoys marking the corners - is it swimmers discretion which side of the mid-marker buoy you pass on - because it looks from the photos that people pass that buoy on either side, but all of them go around the corner buoys. (?) "

You're correct: Generally the midpoint buoys you can go either side of. They'll spell that out in the pre-race meeting on site.

Good luck!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I close to being ready? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

No Set-Up Tri's Closed Yet?

Started by Patrick E
Views: 1272 Posts: 7

2011-01-27 6:09 PM bgraboski

Triple-T North Carolina - AM : Official Thread

Started by Superk75
Views: 3855 Posts: 25

2010-10-11 6:02 PM tricrazy

Any Early Saturday AM Charlotte Rides?

Started by Patrick E
Views: 1362 Posts: 5

2010-06-09 9:35 AM Wubbs

Any Club Worx members? Swim to bike brick Sat am?

Started by 2blackdogs
Views: 763 Posts: 1

2009-08-11 11:35 AM 2blackdogs

umstead run Sun. AM

Started by spot
Views: 870 Posts: 1

2007-07-27 7:49 AM spot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.