General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-07-15 2:39 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Subject: RE: Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs
http://www.outsideonline.com/1908791/i-couldnt-be-more-positive

People who say dopers are "wasting their time/money" are only kidding themselves. I've wasted thousands of hours of my life and spent who knows how much getting kind of faster naturally, most of the outside world would probably consider a lot of training a waste too. I drink a protein shake after swimming because I think it helps me recover and me get faster, that wasn't natural 20 years ago, neither were disk rims. The back slapping for "all natural progress" are kidding themselves.

2015-07-15 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by 3mar OK, so damage control: how much does it actually help these guys? Will PEDs get a 1:30 sprinter to the point of 1:08ish where he could start winning races? Or are we talking the guy coming in top ten dropping 5 minutes to get 1st? That's the counter argument you hear in support of PEDs, is that it won't make you or I Lance Armstrong. But I am curious how much it actually helps.

Here's an interesting article where the writer takes PEDs

http://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebookpost

2015-07-15 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

OK, so damage control: how much does it actually help these guys? Will PEDs get a 1:30 sprinter to the point of 1:08ish where he could start winning races? Or are we talking the guy coming in top ten dropping 5 minutes to get 1st? That's the counter argument you hear in support of PEDs, is that it won't make you or I Lance Armstrong. But I am curious how much it actually helps.

Watch this.

Start at min 19 if you are short on time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a61rS4jN3As
2015-07-15 3:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chris948 http://www.outsideonline.com/1908791/i-couldnt-be-more-positivePeople who say dopers are "wasting their time/money" are only kidding themselves. I've wasted thousands of hours of my life and spent who knows how much getting kind of faster naturally, most of the outside world would probably consider a lot of training a waste too. I drink a protein shake after swimming because I think it helps me recover and me get faster, that wasn't natural 20 years ago, neither were disk rims. The back slapping for "all natural progress" are kidding themselves.

I'm not really tracking you here.  Are you comparing a protein drink, or disc rims, or any number of things that are not banned, to HGH, or EPO, or even Testosterone with regard to gaining an advantage.  Because if you are, you are way off the mark.  What we are talking about are substances that are banned and provide an unbelievable advantage when taken. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-15 3:59 PM
2015-07-15 7:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by chris948 http://www.outsideonline.com/1908791/i-couldnt-be-more-positivePeople who say dopers are "wasting their time/money" are only kidding themselves. I've wasted thousands of hours of my life and spent who knows how much getting kind of faster naturally, most of the outside world would probably consider a lot of training a waste too. I drink a protein shake after swimming because I think it helps me recover and me get faster, that wasn't natural 20 years ago, neither were disk rims. The back slapping for "all natural progress" are kidding themselves.

I'm not really tracking you here.  Are you comparing a protein drink, or disc rims, or any number of things that are not banned, to HGH, or EPO, or even Testosterone with regard to gaining an advantage.  Because if you are, you are way off the mark.  What we are talking about are substances that are banned and provide an unbelievable advantage when taken. 

Not to mention cause a significant health risk.
2015-07-15 8:37 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by 3mar

OK, so damage control: how much does it actually help these guys? Will PEDs get a 1:30 sprinter to the point of 1:08ish where he could start winning races? Or are we talking the guy coming in top ten dropping 5 minutes to get 1st? That's the counter argument you hear in support of PEDs, is that it won't make you or I Lance Armstrong. But I am curious how much it actually helps.

Watch this.

Start at min 19 if you are short on time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a61rS4jN3As

Thanks - hadn't seen that before.

Shane

2015-07-15 10:39 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Interesting question Jason. First I would have to question the premise. Do the top 5% or 10% of AG finishers in top races actually frequent this site? Are they regular contributors? Or, if their ego drives them to take PEDs, does that preclude them from participating with mere mortals who would frequent a site called BEGINNER Triathlete?

This is the first and only triathlon site I came across / am on it daily. I credit much of my improvement in the last 2 years to advice I have read on this site. To assume that all people who have made vast improvements in short periods of time is foolish and irresponsible. My drive to improve is my internal ego and always trying to do better than I did before. Last year I did a large race and was 15+ minutes behind the winner. This year I was 15 seconds behind the winner. Was I using PEDs? Heck no. Did I bust my but training? You bet. I can promise you I will eventually win a race. Not to prove to anyone else that I can do it, but to prove it to myself.

I can also assure you PEDS had no part in it nor will have any part of future results. I do know that it was a result of more (and more focused) training and drive. My point is don't assume that every huge jump in performance is a result of PEDs. Merely hinting such a statement has the ability to damage someone's reputation regardless of its validity.

I'm not saying it's not an issue because I do not know. I'm just saying don't assume every athlete who improves dramatically all of a sudden is using PEDs. It's a dangerous stance to have.
2015-07-16 7:06 AM
in reply to: nfp105

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by nfp105
Interesting question Jason. First I would have to question the premise. Do the top 5% or 10% of AG finishers in top races actually frequent this site? Are they regular contributors? Or, if their ego drives them to take PEDs, does that preclude them from participating with mere mortals who would frequent a site called BEGINNER Triathlete?
This is the first and only triathlon site I came across / am on it daily. I credit much of my improvement in the last 2 years to advice I have read on this site. To assume that all people who have made vast improvements in short periods of time is foolish and irresponsible. My drive to improve is my internal ego and always trying to do better than I did before. Last year I did a large race and was 15+ minutes behind the winner. This year I was 15 seconds behind the winner. Was I using PEDs? Heck no. Did I bust my but training? You bet. I can promise you I will eventually win a race. Not to prove to anyone else that I can do it, but to prove it to myself. I can also assure you PEDS had no part in it nor will have any part of future results. I do know that it was a result of more (and more focused) training and drive. My point is don't assume that every huge jump in performance is a result of PEDs. Merely hinting such a statement has the ability to damage someone's reputation regardless of its validity. I'm not saying it's not an issue because I do not know. I'm just saying don't assume every athlete who improves dramatically all of a sudden is using PEDs. It's a dangerous stance to have.

New athletes making big gains isn't something that makes anyone think PED's.  That is expected.  Its the guy who has been putting up consistent fast-ish times and it changes.  MAybe he has been racing around 2:10 for olympics for 5 years, then one year he suddenly is rolling out 1:55's and crushing everyone.  That makes you think PED's.  Especially when he has 15-20 years on me and isn't getting any younger.

2015-07-16 10:46 AM
in reply to: nfp105

User image

Originally posted by nfp105
I'm not saying it's not an issue because I do not know. I'm just saying don't assume every athlete who improves dramatically all of a sudden is using PEDs. It's a dangerous stance to have.

I don't think any one said that.

As the above poster said, pretty much everyone makes large beginner gains. Those are completely normal and no one is doubting that.
2015-07-16 11:12 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dmiller5

MAybe he has been racing around 2:10 for olympics for 5 years, then one year he suddenly is rolling out 1:55's and crushing everyone.  That makes you think PED's.  Especially when he has 15-20 years on me and isn't getting any younger.

Some of us old guys have not had much time to train because of children. As our children get driver's licenses and start moving out we have more time and can see some big gains again just because we can train more.

Although I would understand being suspicious in those circumstances
2015-07-16 12:54 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by dmiller5   MAybe he has been racing around 2:10 for olympics for 5 years, then one year he suddenly is rolling out 1:55's and crushing everyone.  That makes you think PED's.  Especially when he has 15-20 years on me and isn't getting any younger.
Some of us old guys have not had much time to train because of children. As our children get driver's licenses and start moving out we have more time and can see some big gains again just because we can train more. Although I would understand being suspicious in those circumstances

The old guys that don't have time to train aren't putting down 2:10s consistently for years and then suddenly dropping 15 minutes because their kid got a license.  my point was a pattern of results followed by a sudden jump to super super pointy end is the only time I really get suspicious.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

car vs ped (me) Pages: 1 2

Started by rspencer
Views: 3101 Posts: 48

2008-05-31 5:44 PM nxm165