General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP Stability Running shoes & knee pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-13 1:39 PM

Subject: HELP Stability Running shoes & knee pain
So I have run on and off for several years and always been in a neutral shoe, because I didn't really know there were other options to be honest. But I've been training for a triathlon and this time I went to a running store and they analyzed my footprint and watched me walk around and told me I needed a stability shoe. It felt great in the store and when I ran a mile to just try it out it felt good too. Before this point I was running about 15-20 miles a week, but I started out with a shorter (4 mile) run and my feet got achy and the outside of my knees and ankles started hurting. I wasn't sure if it was because I needed to adjust to a more stable shoe, or if it was the wrong shoe. I ran another 4 miles a couple days later and it felt better but still not amazing, so today I tried out a longer run (7 miles) and the last mile my knees started hurting so bad and now both my knees and ankles hurt and I feel like I can barely walk, stairs kill. I'm thinking that I need to switch back to a neutral shoes, but not being an expert in running shoes I want another opinion.

2015-07-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: klnottingham

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: HELP Stability Running shoes & knee pain
Which stability shoe did you get ?

I would say if you have run in neutral shoes for years, then your anatomy is geared for that, not stability type shoes. Did you have knee pain before ? (hip / foot ?)

So if you really do need support, then it will take a fair amount of time before your body is used to it. I wouldn't switch cold turkey, gradually.

Also get a professional opinion on this (as a blanket statement).

I had bad knee problems before I switched to stability and by gradually using stability shoes and inserts (such as SuperFeet), my knee problems went away. In your case, sounds like you didn't have knee problems, and now you do. So, that is of concern.

2015-07-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: #5128484

Subject: RE: HELP Stability Running shoes & knee pain
you do not need a stabilizing shoe. I have found myself go down this road and fell for the advice by the employee making little more than minimum wage. my knees hurt, my hips hurt, everything hurts so much to the physical therapist and the first question was, why are you running in stability shoes if you can run in neutral shoes with no pain? I switch back to the Neutral shoes and have run several more marathons without any of the pain running just 4 miles in the stability shoes. So I say the same to you, if you ran 15 to 20 miles a week before and had no problems, you don't need to stabilize. What kind of certifications do you suppose the person at the running store has? I'd say nothing more than wearing a T-shirt with the name of the running store on it. listen to your body.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP Stability Running shoes & knee pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

stability shoe vs neutral shoe

Started by npenner02
Views: 3024 Posts: 7

2012-08-17 3:01 PM berndog

Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2800 Posts: 10

2011-11-17 11:53 AM natethomas2000

stability shoes = knee pain???

Started by Dave 2.0
Views: 6987 Posts: 12

2011-08-02 11:58 AM cialome

Big guys+light shoe=Knee Pain?

Started by enduropro
Views: 938 Posts: 7

2011-03-09 8:03 AM enduropro

Running shoes and knee pain

Started by tri_again
Views: 570 Posts: 5

2004-09-30 3:29 PM satchmo72
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : July 28, 2011
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!
date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Stability Ball Hand Opposite Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.