General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Sammamish swim training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-14 10:25 PM

Subject: Lake Sammamish swim training
I completed my first triathlon this past weekend and realized swimming is my weakest sport, especially in open water. I live near Lake Sammamish, does anyone recommend any safe swimming areas for training?

I would also appreciate any advice in swim training in a lake. Costant swimming, intervals?

Thanks!

2015-07-15 3:31 PM
in reply to: davide1985

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish swim training
The most popular spot for triathletes on Lk Samm is Idylwood park. In the summer you can find athletes there most morning swimming the buoys. If you get there before the lifeguards arrive you'll generally have no problem swimming the buoys there. If the guards are there you'll have to swim in the roped off area near the dock. It's not bad but gets a bit weed-y towards the south end.

If you're close to the Sammamish plateau, there are pretty regular swims at both Pine and Beaver lake. There's a facebook page (something like pine beaver lake open water swim group...) where people post group swims. For the most part you can find folks at these lakes daily too. I prefer these lakes over Lk. Samm as there are no motorized boats allowed, and you have the lake pretty much to yourselves in the mornings.

Your best bet to improve your OWS abilities is to do more of it. Intervals etc. will improve your overall swimming ability, but there are a few things you can only experience in a lake (swells for example). Keep at it, it gets easier!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Sammamish swim training Rss Feed