General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Oly Questions..i know yall have answers Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-15 1:15 PM

Subject: Oly Questions..i know yall have answers
I've completed 2 sprint distance tris but it has been awhile. I'm registered for an Olympic distance in September (Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA). I very much still consider myself a newbie.

I was able finish the sprints with a few open water swims. The bike and runs were typical distances for me.
But the Oly distance has me thinking of questions about the swim and where to even start getting ready for it.

Is a wetsuit needed? (I hope not)
Suggestions for goggles. I've never had any that worked particularity well.
I've just been jumping in and trying my best to freestyle as long as I could. Any suggestions on using a kick board?
Does anyone know the cut off time for the swim? I can't really find that information.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks!

2015-07-15 4:55 PM
in reply to: JCR

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Oly Questions..i know yall have answers

Welcome to BT and congrats on having 2 sprints in the bag. As far as a wetsuit, I'm not sure what lake temps are like in September in Georgia, but I'd wager that you'd be fine without one. Anything above 65-70ish and you'll be comfortable. A wetsuit will make you faster and you'll obviously be warmer, but it's not required. According to USAT rules, you can use a wetsuit up to and including 78 degrees. You can also wear one between 78 and 84 degrees but you wouldn't be eligible for age group awards.

As far as goggles you really just have to keep trying different pairs. Go to a sporting goods store and try em before you buy em. The quick test is to put them on your face without putting the strap behind your head. If the suction keeps them on your eye sockets, they're water tight. Everyone has differently shaped faces, and I have a pretty serious beak, so I've eventually found that speedo vanquishers fit me the best.

Cut off times vary by the race, but you can most likely expect something along the lines of an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes.

Best of luck!

2015-07-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: JCR

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Oly Questions..i know yall have answers
If the water is not too cold I tend to forego the wetsuit. But I do like to swim.

The advice above on goggles is spot on. I was having a terrible time finding ones that wouldn't leak. I have a wide face. My wife says I am a fat head, I prefer large brain. I ended up with Aqua Sphere Vista and Kayenne. They are bigger than most but I can wear them forever without any leaks or needing to adjust them.

Good luck on your Oly, you'll do great.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Oly Questions..i know yall have answers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hey Yall from North Carolina

Started by Tucker_lr
Views: 1030 Posts: 8

2010-10-16 5:05 PM wolfpackmike

howdy yall

Started by darb85
Views: 663 Posts: 2

2009-10-06 4:36 PM kaiserman19

Howdy yall

Started by CoastTrash
Views: 712 Posts: 6

2008-12-22 10:20 PM Plainsman AU

Hey 'yall from the Emerald City!

Started by LindsayRay
Views: 999 Posts: 8

2008-03-06 7:09 PM Scone_Mason

Hey Yall

Started by JC-CU
Views: 649 Posts: 2

2005-04-23 9:25 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).