General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Throw in towel for ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-18 2:10 PM

User image

Subject: Throw in towel for ironman?
Sort of a rant/whine...sort of a question thread.

Well I'm less than 2 months out for my IM and I am NOT trained for it. I don't know why but this year has been horrible with me trying to stay motivated. I got injured in April and couldn't run for a month. I did a 1/2 marathon and that took me out for another month. I could run but wow was I slower. I've had a bunch of stress at work and worked late, missing many workouts from it, and recently I just got a new job. I'm trying to stay strong but I don't know if I can do it this year. I'd feel horrible but my mental motivation just is not there this year. The only reason I'm still somewhat trying is that I had over 40 people gives me cards when I left my job saying how I inspired them (mostly career wise) and one guy had a 1-on-1 5 minute deal with me telling how I changed his life and he cares about his career now and lost over 70 pounds in the past year because I inspired him. Hearing that gave me a huge boost but attempting to run outside in the 90's is killing me. I try to stay positive but I fall apart for some reason.

I could try to do the IM but it would not be a good experience. I'd probably finish 2-3 hours later than last year based on how many workouts I skipped and how much slower I am this year. I thought about eating the cost and signing up for a 1/2 the same month, as that's way more doable. Thoughts?

2015-07-18 2:47 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Throw in towel for ironman?

You know i you can finish since you've done it before, but sounds like you also know that you'll be miserable.  If you're racing for fun then personally I would do the race where I thought I would have the most fun.  Not sure if a 26.2 mile death march is your idea of fun (my ultrarunning friends would disagree however )

2015-07-18 3:28 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I've been in your shoes before, and I know how much it sucks. I was signed up for IM Lanzarote and was totally stoked for it, got half way through my training and then work started demanding 12 hour days 7 days a week for months. It broke my heart, but I had to be an adult and tell myself that if I wasn't feeling prepared, then it wouldn't be worth it to attempt an IM. I wanted to go in feeling good about it. I'm not sure the extent of your injury, but does it sound like you'd be risking even more damage by adding more miles on now? By the way congrats on being such an inspiration to your co-workers. Causing someone to lose 70 lbs!? Very very cool and I bet that was a huge confidence boost.

2015-07-18 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Which IM is this ?

How is your running now ? are you healed from the injury ?

Where is your biking at ?

You've done that distance before so you know what you're in for.

Personally I wouldn't go for it, but if you are willing to take a DNF if and when things get ugly, then that's your call.
2015-07-18 4:54 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

This is IMWI. My longest bike is 3.5-4 hours so far (eeks!). I'm planning to do 112 miles tomorrow with the Iron Cowboy (guy doing 50 Ironmans in 50 days). I'm pretty sure I can knock that out since he's only going 16-18 mph with lots of breaks at stores for refills. My injury is fine now. I can run short distances just fine but anything longer than 8 miles and it gets really hard. I think this has a lot of do with the heat but not all of it for sure. My HR is also way higher than it used to be at a slower pace. My bike fitness was insane in April since I did nothing but swim and bike since I couldn't run. It's fallen a lot the past 2 months though. I used to feel unstopable doing workouts with this insane determination. Now...not so much. Maybe I can get some inspiration tomorrow. Between that and an Oly I have next week, I think I should be able to know in a week how I'll fare. My new job is a contractor (read: paid by the hour), so they will try to keep me at 40 hours/week. That will help but I still go home and spend 2-3 hours learning to catch up on missing knowledge after work...at least right now.
2015-07-18 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Well some of what you are experiencing, I can relate. Motivation has been more difficult for me too, I guess too many other things popping up all the time.

My runs have suffered. I got a weird heel injury in 2011, and luckily it's good now, but my running isn't as strong endurance wise. I take walk breaks every 4miles or so, but I can do the distance.

I'd say my biking is ok but nothing great, as I feel slower there as well.

As in your case, feel it out, maybe you can pull this one off. I'd just reset any expectations to "finish" and anything better is gravy.

best of luck !

2015-07-19 6:05 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
If I was in your shoes I would probably do the 70.3.
2015-07-19 1:50 PM

User image

I say do it.  Throw out all time goals and just do it for fun, just enjoy doing it.

If you are anything like me you won't regret a poor time when you go into it knowing you are under-trained, but you will regret quitting without even trying.

Also think about the people you inspire: Are they inspired by someone that quits when things get a little hard?  Think about the people that inspire you, presumably the Iron Cowboy, he definitely doesn't quit when things get tough.

In the big picture, time results don't matter: finishing (or at least trying your best) vs. quitting does.     ...but that's just my opinion.

2015-07-19 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
From what I gather it is simple, you have forgotten the reason WHY you want to do Ironman.

FInd your WHY and everything will come back.

I highly suggest reading Simon Sinek's book "Start with Why" it will help you research your answer.

Also don't think about what you have lost in terms of fitness/time that just breads doubt. Focus on what you have and build off that, that builds motivation.

PM ME is you have any questions, lets chat.

BTW I live right off the IMWI bike course if you in the area, let me know.

Edited by bcagle25 2015-07-19 5:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Throw in towel for ironman? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Murphy's Law week of training: At what point do you just throw in the towel?

Started by Miles around Midtown
Views: 1215 Posts: 14

2014-03-28 2:54 PM meggfishy

Thinking of throwing in the towel w/ 2 months to go from an HIM

Started by juxin
Views: 1756 Posts: 21

2011-06-13 7:05 PM DanielG

At what point do I just throw in the towel? Injury related frustration...

Started by Mike_D
Views: 2247 Posts: 23

2011-04-04 7:26 PM sbr7

A craptacular afternoon where I feel like throwing in the towel

Started by cmbcwb3
Views: 1018 Posts: 15

2007-03-13 8:58 AM CoachH

What color is your towel?

Started by rookie44
Views: 694 Posts: 13

2004-09-12 6:41 PM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.