General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Time to tri!? (completely lost newbie) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-19 4:57 PM

Subject: Time to tri!? (completely lost newbie)
Hello all!

After watching today's incredible Ironman UK in Bolton, and after a few months of toying with the idea (but not actually doing anything about it), I've decided I would like to complete an Ironman 70.3.

I am new to almost every aspect of the sport. I was a member of my uni cycling club, dabbling with both mtn biking and road biking, and currently have a 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 road bike, which is used shamefully little. The other two aspects are completely new to me, in that the last time I ran was two years ago during a Tough Mudder event, and the last time I swam properly was probably when I was in primary school. I'm being completely honest here - I am horrendously unfit. I managed to run 10 minutes from where the car was parked this morning to the swimming start line to watch the first athletes get in the water, and I was out of puff.

It seems like a very daunting and complex tri-world out there, with so much advice, and a very friendly crowd, but I just have absolutely no idea where to start! I've looked at some training plans, but they are all max 20 weeks. I couldn't seem to find a full years training plan for a Ironman 70.3, but perhaps that is because you don't need it? (but I have a feeling I probably do need it, judging by my levels of fitness...)

Anyway, I'm looking to do this whilst working full time, which I know is completely feasible, but as a result I would like to follow some kind of structured training plan, to keep me motivated. Is the best way to do this just to start running, swimming and biking 5/6 days a week until I can get to the level of fitness required for one of the 20 week training plans, and pick it up from there? If anyone has any specific recommendations, then a point in the right direction would be great - there seem to be so many out there!

Any advice much, much appreciated. I'm 23, female, unfit but really, really up for the challenge. I'm going to keep up-to-date on here and reading what everyone else has to say on other threads, so I can hopefully absorb some of the knowledge, but I guess the main thing is to just to get out and get going!?!?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by em3814 2015-07-19 4:59 PM

2015-07-20 1:15 AM
in reply to: em3814

User image

Subject: RE: Time to tri!? (completely lost newbie)
Hi. I'm new to tri too (although I've been cycling for a couple of years). The best advice I picked up, was to join a local Tri club and train and learn from others.
Once you have a base level of fitness look at the GoTri website. They run small events for those interested in multi sports.

Ive put 6months of work in and just completed my first sprint.

Don't rush. Those competing over the weekend have probably put in hours of training with a good deal of race experience.

Most of all enjoy and have fun. It's an amazing community to be part of. Good luck.
2015-07-20 2:40 AM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Welcome to BT you have picked a great place to start.

I would suggest that you look at the free plans here on this site. Start with a beginner sprint plan or a couch to sprint plan that will layout some training for the first 12 weeks. this will get you fit enough to complete a Sprint Triathlon around the distance of a 750m swim, 20k bike ride and 5k run.

If you can I would suggest that you get some swimming lessons as this is by far the most technical of the 3 elements of triathlon and if you can start out right with your stroke it will save you a lot of pain later.

Good luck and enjoy the journey
2015-07-20 12:18 PM
in reply to: #5129730

Congratulations on overcoming the biggest obstacle...choosing to do it! You can do it! Maybe attempt smaller distance tri's to get acclimated to all the sports. I too have aspirations at the larger distances and was fairly new to all the sports. I've chosen to do a few Sprint Triathlons and an Olympic or two before heading into the much longer ones. Just a thought. Pulling for you and would love to know how you progress.
2015-07-20 4:41 PM
in reply to: RyanEpps

Thank you all for your kind advice and words of encouragement! very excited to get into it now. Will start slow, get onto one of the free training plans (although I am yet to find one for a complete beginner like myself haha, but I will keep trawling!), and will get out whilst the weather remains good! I can't imagine what it will be like in the depths of winter, but will cross that bridge when I come to it....

Many thanks again, all. x
2015-07-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: em3814

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT and the multisport world.  

Most training plans are 20 weeks long but think of all this as a lifestyle rather than a single-race focus.  

Start riding your bicycle.  Commuting, riding around the neighborhood, leisurely rides where you can soak up the sun, fresh air, and scenery.  Look around and maybe you can find some local organized rides.  

Start walking/jogging/running.  Build slowly and enjoy the time you are moving.  

Start swimming.  Swimming is a lot more technique, so invest in some lessons.  

You'll want to get to where you're doing something most days of the week, whether its' a swim, a bike ride, or a run.  Even 30 minute workouts add up to 3.5 hours in a week when you do them every day.  

Look at the HIM training plan.  What would you need to do to be ready to start that training plan 20 weeks before your race?  Start working towards that now.  Search for a local club and start hanging around with new "psycho friends" (as my running partner used to call my triathlon/ultra buddies).  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Time to tri!? (completely lost newbie) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Long time Athlete 1st Time Tri-Athlete

Started by mbacia
Views: 776 Posts: 5

2012-01-31 3:39 PM mbacia

long time athlete - first time tri

Started by ryanknapp
Views: 1065 Posts: 7

2010-03-03 1:10 PM hockeyhands

completely lost, but determined

Started by Kulprit
Views: 897 Posts: 3

2009-06-18 11:39 AM Kulprit

Newbie to Tri and newbie to Portland OR

Started by semiller
Views: 1093 Posts: 3

2006-09-07 11:36 PM lostviking

newbie look'n for some target times?!?!?!?!?!

Started by TDUB
Views: 714 Posts: 7

2006-01-24 6:33 AM smokeater1833
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : July 28, 2011
author : jobaxas
comments : 5
I walk over to get my timing chip removed – uh oh, it’s not there! The moral of checking that your timing band is attached firmly.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.