Warren Loranger Englewood Family YMCA
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 12s
Overall Rank = 103/170
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Awake at 5:15. 1/2 a bagel and water in, dressed and loaded and out the door by 5:45. Arrived and checked in by 6:00 (you have to love a local race). Transition setup went pretty quick. Shoes on peddles, rug down and socks rolled down and ready. All in all, I'm feeling
pretty good with this, it is all standard stuff at this point. Training through the last 3 weeks had been primarily running, with a bit of swimming and bike thrown in when possible due to weather and focus.
Event warmup:

Used the facilities, wandered around bumping my gums. Listened to the surf rolling in and began to get concerned, hoped that the swim would be canned due to rip currents. We went out to the beach and such was not the case. As TW said on Facebook, the Gulf was angry. But it wasn't called off, so it was now time to prep mentally and adjust expectations, which were admittedly low to begin with. Swung the arms about, trying to loosen up and visualize the swim and the race in general.
Swim
  • 09m 57s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lesson #1 was right at the beginning. I have it in my head that I am slow (which I am). This then gives me the idea that I need to seed myself back a bit. The result is now I am behind slower swimmers that think they are Mark Friggin' Spitz. And I end up not able to get around the 3 of them swimming with one another. So, by the time we hit the first buoy, I have used more energy and gone further than I need too. Add in my limited swim abilities and it made for a rough day in rough water. On the plus side is that I finished in bad conditions in a minute less than last year, so something went right. That something was focus, from what I could tell. Another note is that I did see Kenny the lifeguard heading over on the paddle board to someone behind me that was struggling. I heard later that a couple of people were pulled from the water.
What would you do differently?:

Seeding. Oh yeah, learning to swim would help, but if you've read one of my reports before, you know how well I have NOT learned that lesson.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

This was a pretty good tran 1 time. The run into transition is a bit of a distance. Glasses, helmet on quick. Feet cleaned a bit on the rug went not as quick as I have in the past. Stumbled through getting socks on, then out to the line. Shoes on the bike are a big plus, except...
I got to the line and my arms felt like jello from fighting the water. So, I climbed on and rode off instead of the postman start that I have practiced. I feared my arms. Got shoes on and up to speed a bit slower than I'd have liked, but not bad.

Work on the mount. Overall, this was still good and I can see 30 easy seconds to be gained with a bit of practice. Lesson #2 learned.
Bike
  • 37m 54s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I had crashed out on this course 2 years ago on the bike in somewhat these same conditions, so I went into it careful. This was part of my expectation adjustment that I had done earlier. The bike went well once I got into my shoes. BTA bottle is a God send, as it keeps the water right in your face. I just kept sippin'. Out of aero at Middle Beach, there is sand/mud/puddles there. Then it was up to the turnaround, where I yelled "Hey" to Sue and Tattoo Frank who always work that part of the course, and got back up to speed quickly. The next adjustment came when I hit the Gel and it was not going down. I wrapped it tight and dropped it back in the bento and kept going. I figured that I was not racing long and I'd evidently had all the salt my body could take ;) so I just kept sippin' on water. I stayed on it to the end, pulled my feet out of the shoes about .25 out from dismount and kept spinning to the end. Rolling dismount went pretty well, except for the fact that this year the mount and dismount lines were not the same. WTF. Every year prior there is one line, this year dismount is 10 feet in front of the mount line. So I overshot it by 10 ft, but I looked good doing it.

Push a little more, but all in all, I am happy with the bike. PJ (my Jamis tri bike) is comfortable as can be and lets me "stay low and just go". Oh yeah, course recon would be suggested as well. Lesson #3.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Rolled in after dismount moving pretty well. Helmet strap undone on the way in. Racked bike, no problem, dropped helmet, grabbed shoes for run. Slipped on right foot and stumbled. "CRAP, get it together!" Fixed it, then on to the left shoe next. SSDS (Same Sh!t, Different Shoe) "Come ON, get it together!" Finally on, grabbed the visor and belt and off I went.

Not stumble?!?! I've done this T1 in 45 seconds, so I know it can go better, but, Meh, it isn't going to be the difference between a podium spot or not.
Run
  • 34m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Every year I walk parts of this. It has been my nemesis since I started doing races at this race 4 years ago. I have walked in every race since then and that was about to change. My entire focus for the past 3 weeks has been these 3.1 miles. And it worked. I finally had a run that points me in the right direction and gives me hope that improvement is in sight. It is all mental at this point in a race and I was able to keep focus and keep moving in the right direction. No matter who passed me, and trust me there were a number of folks who did, I just kept plodding forward. Lesson #4 was learned and it is the biggest take away. Keep focus, keep YOUR race in mind, and keep going!

Go faster?!? At this point, that is all, but I am truly pleased with this run, no matter how slow it was.
Post race
Warm down:

Wander over to the sprinkler tent and drink a bopttle of water. Walk around a bit more, than pack it up and head for the house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics. Ability. Training. Form. You can choose any or all of these and be on target, but none of it mattered. I PR'd the course, and learned many valuable lessons that I hope to put into play at Venice in September. The biggest part of this was what I hope is a mental breakthrough. I'm finally starting to get comfortable with some of this, after 4 years.

Event comments:

It seems that Mike the RD is getting his sh!t together. This year was better than last from an organizational standpoint. I'd love to know the reason behind the dismount and mount line thing, but that is the way it is. So, know the course and race the course, ie Lesson #3.

Last updated: 2015-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:57 | 400 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 0/170
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out to the buoy, right turn 90* and swim parellel to shore past buoies #2 and #3. Turn right again at buoy #4 and head into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:54 | 13 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on Manasota Beach Rd. North along the beach and through the $$$ houses, turn around just before the turn for the bridge, and return.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:08 | 03.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Course: A quick little out and back on Beach Rd, then south down Manasota Key Rd to the loop and back to the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-07-20 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: Englewood YMCA Triathlon

2015-07-20 12:26 PM
in reply to: #5129891

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Englewood YMCA Triathlon

Woo hoo!  It sounds like you had fun!  I love that you called out people at the bike turnaround and it's awesome that your run focus is paying off!  Great effort, both physically and mentally :-D  Way to go!

2015-07-20 12:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

SO much good in this report it has me smiling for you!!  Course PR - bam!  Great bike - bam!  Getting the run you've been striving for - bam!  The swim does sound brutal, good job getting through it safely.  And the seeding thing: well, maybe someday you'll learn   Great work, Chris!

2015-07-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Rad! A course PR!

You've got a bit of a list of limiters but the good news is many of them are things you can control. No sense even thinking about the others It looks as though you have some great momentum going forward.

2015-07-20 1:41 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Great job on battling those run demons! Awesome race overall! 

2015-07-20 2:58 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

The gulf is not supposed to be angry - stupid gulf!!  Despite your list of limiters, there was a whole lot of good in this race -course PR, beating a challenging swim, a great bike and a break through run!!  All in all, I'd call that a successful race!

2015-07-20 3:57 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Nice job, congrats!
Sounds like a rough swim, but you managed it well, and that's a great bike time. Lots of good lessons, and a job well done.
2015-07-20 8:20 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Good lessons learned and a good PR    Nice work!

2015-07-21 7:03 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks everyone, it really was a good race.

2015-07-21 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Nice race!  I especially admire your focus and determination on the run.  I've walked part of the run at this race every year - going to use your example as an inspiration to conquer it next year!

The guy that got in trouble on the swim was swimming with three of his buddies.  He started yelling and none of his buddies seemed to know what to do.  I stopped long enough to wave for a lifeguard and then took off again as soon as the guard got there.   Don't know what happened to them after that.

You didn't crash this year, so didn't get to pass you on the bike  

Again, congrats.

Mark

2015-07-21 8:44 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Awesome job Chris! Way to beat down the run demons! WOOT!

2015-07-21 1:54 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Nice race!  I especially admire your focus and determination on the run.  I've walked part of the run at this race every year - going to use your example as an inspiration to conquer it next year!

The guy that got in trouble on the swim was swimming with three of his buddies.  He started yelling and none of his buddies seemed to know what to do.  I stopped long enough to wave for a lifeguard and then took off again as soon as the guard got there.   Don't know what happened to them after that.

You didn't crash this year, so didn't get to pass you on the bike  

Again, congrats.

Mark

Mark, I didn't know you were there, I would have looked for you.  If no one else said it, I will thank you for stopping. Having had people quietly zip past me while I lay crumpled on the bike course a couple years ago was a good eye opener for me.  We're all in this together.  I have an in with some of the lifeguards, so I'll find out what the scoop is eventually.  I hope everyone was OK.

2015-07-21 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Course PR, good swim in spite of an angry gulf, a good bike (on which you kept the rubber side down AND looked good on the dismount ) and running the run.  Sounds like a successful day to me!!!

2015-07-25 7:47 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Just look at you go!!  Yeah, there were a few bumps, but hey, you had fun and looked good doing it.  That's really what it's all about, hey?  WOOOOT for the PR!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Englewood YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Englewood YMCA Triathlon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1564 Posts: 2

2010-07-17 9:07 PM shellabree

Englewood YMCA Triathlon

Started by Karibu
Views: 1874 Posts: 6

2010-07-18 1:52 AM TriAya

Englewood YMCA Triathlon

Started by shellabree
Views: 1929 Posts: 5

2010-07-20 12:07 PM fireman70

Englewood YMCA Triathlon

Started by jimmy raybon
Views: 1399 Posts: 3

2010-07-17 4:58 PM shellabree

Englewood YMCA Triathlon

Started by PollyG
Views: 1647 Posts: 5

2010-07-17 8:14 PM Karibu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.