General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I went to my bike fitting today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-20 3:29 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: So I went to my bike fitting today...
Yeah, I know - one week out from my first tri - why am I just now doing it? Well, I just never got around to it. But I finally did right my wrong..

Short story is - I bought my bike back in the beginning of the year from CraigsList, and found a bike who's rider was nearly the same exact body build as mine (except he was in shape..lol..). I'm 6' 2" - and at that point was at around 220 lbs. (now 197). So the bike felt good right off the bat and I just got on it and rode it. But I had read that I really should go get the bike "fit" to me..but I just kept putting it off.

So today I went to South Main Cycles in Belmont, NC and spent an awesome two hours with Steve there and can't tell you how much I learned - it was fantastic. I don't know *anything* about road biking other than that I'm a huge fan of the Tour and watch it every year..so the only things I know I picked up from that. Steve put my bike on a trainer that is setup in front of a flat screen, hooked up to a computer that runs a program that varies the intensity of the ride with accompanying video on the TV (it is really cool). A data set at the bottom shows RPM, speed, watts, grade, averages, mileage, etc.. Within just a couple minutes Steve made the observation that I was a "masher" and not a "spinner". I had no idea what those terms meant, but he suggested that for better endurance, I might try to pick up my tempo (I was down around 50-60) up to 80 or 90. I also was having a tendency to stay in the smaller front ring and the higher back gears, which puts an angular strain on the chain. My Quintana Roo bike (like most TT type bikes I guess) are designed to spend a lot of time on the big ring up front. Sure enough, once he pointed it out, I could tell how much smoother the chain sounded and felt.

I had been under the impression this would be some measurements of me on and off the bike - and it was - but he really worked me (relatively speaking). I'm a novice, in training tri(er?) with my first sprint this weekend, so I'm still working on my fitness. I'd guess I did about 15 miles at the fit session, with grades up to 13%, so I was sweating really good. I know that's not much mileage for most here..but for me, that's some work (I counted it as my ride today..lol..). He took a ton of measurements on and off the bike and really spent a lot of time explaining the physiology of why the adjustments should help. In the end, we lowered my saddle a few centimeters. He said he wouldn't normally drop it so much so quickly, but the amount I ride and the time I've been riding (only a few months) means I probably didn't develop too bad of habits. Dropping the seat gave me a better ankle to knee angle at the bottom of my pedal stroke - prior to the drop I was extending my leg quite straight and he said that could be problematic for my knees over the long haul.

He also mentioned the whole "scraping the mud" part of the cycling stroke that I guess a lot of novices like me forget about..that you can actually pull backwards at the bottom (resulting in a push almost naturally with your other foot) before transitioning to the upstroke pull and you can eek out a bit of extra smoothness there. I had never thought of it honestly. (That's why he's a professional bike fitter..and I'm not..) He also took measurements of my arms and elbows and tilted my handlebars forward a few degrees based on my stated position preference at this point. I told him I'm pretty much a rookie, just want to survive while I build into this triathlon sport, and he agreed. I pretty much spend 90% of my time on the upper bars by the brakes and only rarely drop into the aero position at this point, so he made the comfort adjustments based on my predominant position at this point. He said if I start to get into longer tris at some point, the aero position will be good for efficiency, and getting a break because that is much of what the bike portion is about for some riders.

Anyway - I was really impressed with Steve's thoroughness, his ability to explain things, and his ability to seamlessly weave tips and suggestions in with the why's of what he was doing. I wish I'd gotten the fitting done months ago - but I feel great that I'm better set up on my bike now. Last week the same shop did a total tune-up on the bike and I'm just really impressed with their whole operation. I'll definitely be going back.

Any-who - just thought I'd share my bike fitting story. Sorry if it's a TL;DR...

Me at the fitting: http://www.mudspikeftp.com/BIKE/BIKE-005.jpg- (yeah - I know..hairy legs, I haven't totally committed to the cycling tribe..lol..)

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R 2015-07-20 3:34 PM

2015-07-23 8:44 PM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: So I went to my bike fitting today...
Hey, wow, nice story (except, ya, shoulda done it sooner, but you will be fine!) good luck at your upcoming race!!!
2015-07-23 9:57 PM
in reply to: triblogcarol

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: RE: So I went to my bike fitting today...
Thank you so much for the support.

Went for a short 6 mile bike tonight just to keep loose - and will probably do a short run and bike tomorrow in preparation for the Saturday sprint. I'm sooooo excited. I can't wait..!

I will post an after action report..complete with screw ups.. LOL

BeachAV8R
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I went to my bike fitting today... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sorry ... Another bike fit calculator post

Started by Dorm57
Views: 1378 Posts: 2

2011-07-23 6:51 PM chichitao

bike fitting

Started by mramazon0822
Views: 1398 Posts: 6

2010-03-16 4:14 PM ellasdad

Charlotte Bike Fitting

Started by bzep
Views: 3735 Posts: 12

2010-02-24 4:21 PM freer

Bike fitting / sizing

Started by karstens11
Views: 1303 Posts: 8

2009-08-12 7:58 PM keyone

bike store -> saddle fitting

Started by keyone
Views: 1870 Posts: 6

2009-02-27 11:57 AM Bigfuzzydoug
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : March 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Our regular USAT coach chat with lots of tips including discussions on Computrainers, bike fitting and position, triathlon and marathon training, Tim DeBoom lunges and nutrition.

date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team