General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I know if I'm ready for a 70.3? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-21 5:46 PM

User image

Subject: How do I know if I'm ready for a 70.3?
Just started getting into racing this year and had my first sprint last weekend. Honestly now I'm hooked and playing with the idea of signing up for a half ironman next summer. How do I know if this is a realistic goal for me? Anyone who would like to share their experiences in regards to this. In what shape should I be in about a year before racing if I am going to be able to complete this race?

2015-07-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: TriCDA

, Idaho
Subject: RE: How do I know if I'm ready for a 70.3?
This is a realistic goal. Look at multiple training plans for a beginner or intermediate at the 70.3 distance. Can you handle the first week of workouts. If the answer is yes, you'll be ready to train when it is time. If the answer is no, get training through the winter so you're ready to attack the plan when it is time.

You can complete a full distance if you stick to a training plan.
2015-07-21 6:20 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Hard to answer without knowing more about you. Fitness level and background. I took the slower route. Did sprints the first year, international distance second year and did HIM the third year. Just did two IM races in my fifth year of racing. Looking back, I am glad I took this route. I am sure others may have took a more direct route but I liked my approach. Never felt overwhelmed.

Agree that the BT plans are a great source to help you reach goal.
2015-07-21 7:38 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Thank you, that's very encouraging!
2015-07-21 11:03 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'd say doable for sure. But I'd get a few more races under your belt before the HIM attempt. Try an OLY next. That will give you a little more kick in the shins, and the swim is close to what the HIM is.

It's a great feeling to be stoked to do more tri's, just plan on working yourself up to the distance methodically and carefully (with a plan) so you (a) don't get hurt, and (b) you have a good idea of what you are doing

2015-07-21 11:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think I was involved in tri three years before I did my first 70.3. I'd done several sprints and Olys, and I think a duathlon that was about 50% longer than Oly distance. I felt I was ready to train for it when none of the legs by themselves really intimidated me, but putting them all together did! (Actually, I have a run and swim background so those weren't really the issue, but the bike, and following the bike with that long a run, was.) I think if you can complete an Olympic tri, and maybe a stand-alone half marathon, and finish vertically with a smile, you would be ready to train for a 70.3.

2015-07-22 7:19 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I did my one and only HIM the second season of triathlon.  

It will sound flippant, but you probably won't "know" until you get to the finish line.  It's a new endeavor and even following a training plan, we humans are prone to imagining all kinds of ill-prepardness and reasons for not finishing.  This is true for a sprint, OLY, HIM, and IM.  

The better question might be:  Am I ready to commit to a HIM training plan and the impact that has on my life?  

If you can answer YES and you can articulate (for yourself) the reasons for doing a HIM, then sign up and train!  You'll have an amazing journey.  

2015-07-22 8:45 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by McFuzz

The better question might be:  Am I ready to commit to a HIM training plan and the impact that has on my life?  

If you can answer YES and you can articulate (for yourself) the reasons for doing a HIM, then sign up and train!  You'll have an amazing journey.  

+1 to the above statement. Training for a 70.3 can take a chunk of time out of your day. I'm a teacher so I have summers off so fitting in training is usually pretty easy for me. Although when school starts back it always reminds me the sacrifices I have to make each day to fit in training.
2015-07-22 10:26 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Originally posted by EKH

+1 to the above statement. Training for a 70.3 can take a chunk of time out of your day.

+2

For me it's the bike that's the biggest impediment. I have run marathons, and I love swimming (although I am slow) and know that 2K swimming wouldn't be a problem. But training for 3+ hour bike rides would be a big commitment for me as I already like the weekends for my long runs.

Take a look at a typical training plan (like the free ones on this site) to see what kind of time commitment is involved and think about whether that's what you want to be doing.
2015-07-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Really appreciate the inputs. I think that I decided to stick with Olympic and sprints for another year and then see. I don't want to "barely" survive either, I want it to be a good experience and you are making good points in regards to how much time this will take compared to just preparing for shorter races. Thanks again!
2015-07-22 11:16 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Originally posted by EKH

+1 to the above statement. Training for a 70.3 can take a chunk of time out of your day.

+2

For me it's the bike that's the biggest impediment. I have run marathons, and I love swimming (although I am slow) and know that 2K swimming wouldn't be a problem. But training for 3+ hour bike rides would be a big commitment for me as I already like the weekends for my long runs.

Take a look at a typical training plan (like the free ones on this site) to see what kind of time commitment is involved and think about whether that's what you want to be doing.

+3 My big thing in all this is that I have to love the training. The race is such a small percentage of the total time. I'm wrapping up my first year of doing these things. Its been great for me. I did a couple sprints last fall. Then this spring I did two Olys. I did another Oly a week ago as part of my training for my first HIM this fall. So I've ratched up the distance fairly fast but mostly because I've seen good gains in training and I like the longer races better. So far my HIM training is going well but I'm starting to dislike it mainly because it is really taking away from other things (work and family things). I still want to do the race because I want to finish what I set out to do and I think I can handle a couple more months of the additional stress on life. But going forward I really plan on focusing on sprints and olys just because the training requirements for HIM don't bode well with the rest of my life demands. I'm saying this before having done the race. Even if I have a great race I have no intentions of doing it again because the training has become a drag.

Like the other two here said, do it as long as you enjoy the process. Eventually you'll find the distance that suits you best.

2015-07-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Gatornate
Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by EKH

+2 For me it's the bike that's the biggest impediment. I have run marathons, and I love swimming (although I am slow) and know that 2K swimming wouldn't be a problem. But training for 3+ hour bike rides would be a big commitment for me as I already like the weekends for my long runs. Take a look at a typical training plan (like the free ones on this site) to see what kind of time commitment is involved and think about whether that's what you want to be doing.
+3 My big thing in all this is that I have to love the training. The race is such a small percentage of the total time. I'm wrapping up my first year of doing these things. Its been great for me. I did a couple sprints last fall. Then this spring I did two Olys. I did another Oly a week ago as part of my training for my first HIM this fall. So I've ratched up the distance fairly fast but mostly because I've seen good gains in training and I like the longer races better. So far my HIM training is going well but I'm starting to dislike it mainly because it is really taking away from other things (work and family things). I still want to do the race because I want to finish what I set out to do and I think I can handle a couple more months of the additional stress on life. But going forward I really plan on focusing on sprints and olys just because the training requirements for HIM don't bode well with the rest of my life demands. I'm saying this before having done the race. Even if I have a great race I have no intentions of doing it again because the training has become a drag. Like the other two here said, do it as long as you enjoy the process. Eventually you'll find the distance that suits you best.

+4

My response was going to be "You'll know you're ready when you can complete the training"

2015-07-22 9:01 PM

It's a journey and a lifestyle. . . no need to rush up the distances. . . have fun. Personally, I love the Olympic distance, it's the right blend of speed and endurance for my tastes.

2015-07-23 1:40 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204

It's a journey and a lifestyle. . . no need to rush up the distances. . . have fun. Personally, I love the Olympic distance, it's the right blend of speed and endurance for my tastes.

It is most certainly a lifestyle change.
I 'signed up' in January this year. My training intensity and volume gradually increased. I added swimming and running to cycling ang gym sessions.I changed my diet and level of wine consumption.
I'm feeling and looking fitter (even got a compliment from Mrs Shakeybear last week )

I've broadened my social circle. I have the love and support of family.

What's not cool about that.

I have my second sprint in September and I'm making plans for next year. But taking it nice and steady. I hope to be here for a long time.

Enjoy the journey
2015-07-23 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I find there isn't too much difference in time demands from training seriously for sprint or Olympic distance.....until the weekends. Workday workouts are still mostly in the 60-75 minute range most days. It's the long runs and especially the long rides and bricks that really tend to eat into one's time. Getting ready for, doing, and then cleaning up, eating, and recovering from a key workout like a three or four hour ride and 30-60 minute brick run pretty much eats up a morning and part of an afternoon. For those with families, this can be a real consideration. In my case (single), it's usually the way I'd like to spend part of my weekend (unless the weather's really bad), but I do online coursework in addition to a full-time teaching and coaching job, so with HIM training it often seems like my only "free time" is spent training--everything else is work, coursework, basic maintenance of body and house, or sleep. No matter how much you like to train (and I really like to train!) that can get a bit obnoxious after a while. The shorter races leave me a bit more down time to have a life outside of work and tri.

If your job or family situation leaves you blocks of time that are less busy than others, then strategically choosing your HIM to take advantage of that is a good idea. (For example, choosing a late summer HIM for teachers, or scheduling the race after a typically slower period at work.)
2015-07-23 2:29 PM

User image

Ha ha, I am two weeks out from my first and I still don't know if I'm ready.

This is my sixth season in the sport, I've done many sprints and one ten-leg endurance race last summer that took about 5.5 hours, so I felt ready to try something long-course.

I will echo what the others have said - if you can do the first week of a training plan then you will have no problem making it through. I remember when 30k rides were kicking my butt and now I can do the 90k distance pretty easily. I'm still slow but at least I don't feel like I am going to die at the end of it! You really will adapt to the workload.

This is a good year for me to try something like this because I just had a milestone birthday. That was the driver. Other than that though, it's the wrong season of my life to be doing long course races. I have a youngish family and I find with the longer weekend workouts, I am resenting the time away from home, even though I have family support. So for me it will probably be one and done, or at the very least, a long while before the next one.

But if I'd never tried it, I would always be wondering. If nothing else, at least I will have the monkey off my back.

2015-07-23 2:40 PM
in reply to: carriecook

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by carriecook Ha ha, I am two weeks out from my first and I still don't know if I'm ready. This is my sixth season in the sport, I've done many sprints and one ten-leg endurance race last summer that took about 5.5 hours, so I felt ready to try something long-course. I will echo what the others have said - if you can do the first week of a training plan then you will have no problem making it through. I remember when 30k rides were kicking my butt and now I can do the 90k distance pretty easily. I'm still slow but at least I don't feel like I am going to die at the end of it! You really will adapt to the workload. This is a good year for me to try something like this because I just had a milestone birthday. That was the driver. Other than that though, it's the wrong season of my life to be doing long course races. I have a youngish family and I find with the longer weekend workouts, I am resenting the time away from home, even though I have family support. So for me it will probably be one and done, or at the very least, a long while before the next one. But if I'd never tried it, I would always be wondering. If nothing else, at least I will have the monkey off my back.

You bring up a really good point about doing it while you are interested and motivated.  If it is something you'll always want to do and have a reasonable amount of time and support then it's worth trying. You'll never know if you don't give it a go!

The year that I did my full IM really wasn't the greatest - my sister was getting married a few weeks before the race and my mom ended up being diagnosed with cancer and going through chemotherapy but aside from the fact I had signed up in the previous year I really wanted to do it. And i knew there is really no such time as 'a perfect' time.   I am really still so thrilled that i did it. It will be a 'one and done' for a while now since life has moved on. 

Life happens and you'll make time to do what you want. 

As for whether or not you 'physically' can - with a year, and some dedication most people can. Though, your circumstances are your own. 

2015-07-24 10:49 AM

User image

Groton, New York
I think anything is doable within a year depending on how much pain you are willing to endure and how "ugly" you want the race to be. I've had constant issues with ITB and of course I'm stupid, so I push myself too much and manage to injure myself each year simply because I try to advance too quickly.

My first year I did a Sprint in the Spring and my "big" race for my first year was an Oly distance tri. Worked out fine.

Last year (second year) - did the same Sprint again, also did the same Oly again (improved time drastically) and did my first Marathon.

The marathon busted up my legs. I had not built up enough over the year and my longest run was only 11 miles going into the Marathon though I ran 5 to 6 days a week (BarryP running approach, which is probably how I survived it). I was fine until about mile 20 and then my ITB flared up on both sides and the last 6 miles was a struggle to finish. Finished in 3:45.

This year I got a slow start on my run training, basically starting from scratch again. I was intent on getting my first 70.3 under my belt this year though. I got a lot of swimming in so my swim has been the strongest yet but I also did not get a lot of mileage in on the bike. Only about 30-40 minutes two or three times a week. My longest rides were in the 30+ miles. I rode the 70.3 bike course once two weeks before the race which was the longest ride I did. My longest run was 6 miles, which I did a couple of times. The race was actually pretty good until about mile 6 of the run. Left ITB flared up and I got some of the worst cramps in my legs I've ever experienced. 3 miles left of the race and it was a constant jog/cramp/walk/jog/cramp/walk process until the finish. Pretty ugly. Still....I managed to actually come in under 6 hours which was my goal. 5:52:45.

So, I think I am seeing a pattern. Need to build up the bike a bit more, but need to seriously work on building up my run mileage.

My ultimate goal was to do two more 70.3 races next year and sign up for IMLP for 2017. Now I am thinking I may focus on 70.3 for two or three more years before stepping up to a full IM. IMLP was my ultimate goal, but I'd like to finish a 70.3 and do it looking good (rather than near death half way through the run). In fact, I have adjusted my goals. I'm thinking if I build up properly and put it all together in a good way I think I should be able to push that 5 hour mark. Breaking 5 hours would be awesome (for me).
2015-07-24 11:07 AM

Originally posted by TriCDA

Really appreciate the inputs. I think that I decided to stick with Olympic and sprints for another year and then see. I don't want to "barely" survive either, I want it to be a good experience and you are making good points in regards to how much time this will take compared to just preparing for shorter races. Thanks again!

There is a difference in training for a HIM if you want to be competitive or if you just want to finish strong and have a good day out. If you want to be competitive, then the time commitment and intensity of your training is likely be (much) greater than if you just want to finish strong.

If your goal is to finish strong and have a good day out, then registering for a HIM next year is completely doable. If you work on your base and keep it strong over the winter, and then next spring you increase your yardage//mileage in your final push towards a HIM, then I think you should be more than fine. And in this way, it won't impact your family time too much either.

I'm definitely a finish strong/good day out type and based on my experience, I know you can finish a HIM on 5-7 hours per week of training.

In any case, good luck.
2015-07-24 3:54 PM

IMO, if you can 'race' an Olympic distance event, meaning you're not just shooting to finish on your feet, but actually aiming to improve your time and training for that, you can handle a HIM.

The caveat is that you ideally should to do more than a few longish bikes and runs (like 2.5-3hr range) for a HIM, whereas you don't need to go that long in training for the Oly.

Once the endurance is in place, it's really a matter of pacing in terms of difference between successfully finishing a HIM vs an Oly. So if you had fun at your Oly and weren't death marching in the last few miles, you very likely can start training for the HIM no problemo right now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I know if I'm ready for a 70.3? Rss Feed