Other Resources The Political Joe » School me on Hilary Clinton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-08-27 9:39 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Subject: RE: School me on Hilary Clinton
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Sorry, but other than being a laundry list of recent major news stories, I don't see how any of the things you listed demonstrate that Social Media is lessening the reach of big money in politics. Social media exists, obviously, and it's changing the way people view the news and communicate with each other, but I don't see how it's limited the ability of guys like Soros and the Koch brothers and other big donors from hijackiing the political process. The sad thing is, social media probably has made people more aware of how much money runs politics, but it just serves to illustrate how powerless the average person is to do anything about it.

If anything, your example of the Tea Party is representative of the opposite. Here you had a grass-roots political movement that was dedicated to smaller government and fiscal conservatism above all else-- something that lots of people on both sides of the aisle could identify with, including even, famously, the de facto leaders of an Occupy Wall Street group. Unfortunatley, it wasn't long befor the right-wing conservative establishment overrran the party with their hard-line social conservative platform, with well-funded crackpots like Michelle Bachmann becoming the face of the party . If there's a separation between the TP and the GOP as a whole anymore, it's invisible to most people.

Back to the free speech thing-- I guess it comes down to the question of, is a corporation or a lobbyiing firm entitled to the same freedom of speech as an individual? Philosophically, I would say no. Sadly, the ship has finally sailed, I think, on the "corporations are not people" argument, but I don't think that the Founding Fathers would say that protecting the right of a billion-dollar multinational company to skew the political process in its own favor is what they had in mind when they made freedom of speech a cornerstone of our democracy.

The foundation of any corporation, lobbying group, union, special interest, and billion dollar multi-national are individual people. We do differ in that you believe that rights are gained and lost depending on who you are associated with, and I don't. I is just a fundamental difference is our political philosophy and we aren't going to convince each other otherwise. I would think the founding fathers would agree that the rights are inalienable regardless of ones current status.

Again, if "Big Money" had the influence in politics that you claim, a Clinton/Bush general election would be a foregone conclusion. But as we see with Trump, Carson, and Sanders that is clearly not the case.

2015-08-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Sorry, but other than being a laundry list of recent major news stories, I don't see how any of the things you listed demonstrate that Social Media is lessening the reach of big money in politics. Social media exists, obviously, and it's changing the way people view the news and communicate with each other, but I don't see how it's limited the ability of guys like Soros and the Koch brothers and other big donors from hijackiing the political process. The sad thing is, social media probably has made people more aware of how much money runs politics, but it just serves to illustrate how powerless the average person is to do anything about it. If anything, your example of the Tea Party is representative of the opposite. Here you had a grass-roots political movement that was dedicated to smaller government and fiscal conservatism above all else-- something that lots of people on both sides of the aisle could identify with, including even, famously, the de facto leaders of an Occupy Wall Street group. Unfortunatley, it wasn't long befor the right-wing conservative establishment overrran the party with their hard-line social conservative platform, with well-funded crackpots like Michelle Bachmann becoming the face of the party . If there's a separation between the TP and the GOP as a whole anymore, it's invisible to most people. Back to the free speech thing-- I guess it comes down to the question of, is a corporation or a lobbyiing firm entitled to the same freedom of speech as an individual? Philosophically, I would say no. Sadly, the ship has finally sailed, I think, on the "corporations are not people" argument, but I don't think that the Founding Fathers would say that protecting the right of a billion-dollar multinational company to skew the political process in its own favor is what they had in mind when they made freedom of speech a cornerstone of our democracy.
The foundation of any corporation, lobbying group, union, special interest, and billion dollar multi-national are individual people. We do differ in that you believe that rights are gained and lost depending on who you are associated with, and I don't. I is just a fundamental difference is our political philosophy and we aren't going to convince each other otherwise. I would think the founding fathers would agree that the rights are inalienable regardless of ones current status. Again, if "Big Money" had the influence in politics that you claim, a Clinton/Bush general election would be a foregone conclusion. But as we see with Trump, Carson, and Sanders that is clearly not the case.

I think Trump and Carson are great examples of social media influence.  Facebook, twitter, youtube, instagram are all free and extremely powerful.  Obviously Trump has a ton of money, but neither of them are spending a penny on advertising because they can get their message out to just as many people for free.  The big special interest folks dump money into campaigns so they can spend money on advertising, but thew advertising world has changed significantly over the past decade.

I totally get where Jackemy1 is coming from and agree that we have to allow the big dollars, but I still don't like it.  I also think that due to the social media climate the power of the big dollar in politics has been diminished.   Bush can spend $100M on an add campaign running it on every station in the country and Trump can send out a quick tweet to a youtube for free to successfully rebut it.  10 years ago, the defending candidate would have to have the $ to counter big dollar ads with their own big dollar ads.  If they didn't have the money then they didn't compete.

2015-08-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Sorry, but other than being a laundry list of recent major news stories, I don't see how any of the things you listed demonstrate that Social Media is lessening the reach of big money in politics. Social media exists, obviously, and it's changing the way people view the news and communicate with each other, but I don't see how it's limited the ability of guys like Soros and the Koch brothers and other big donors from hijackiing the political process. The sad thing is, social media probably has made people more aware of how much money runs politics, but it just serves to illustrate how powerless the average person is to do anything about it. If anything, your example of the Tea Party is representative of the opposite. Here you had a grass-roots political movement that was dedicated to smaller government and fiscal conservatism above all else-- something that lots of people on both sides of the aisle could identify with, including even, famously, the de facto leaders of an Occupy Wall Street group. Unfortunatley, it wasn't long befor the right-wing conservative establishment overrran the party with their hard-line social conservative platform, with well-funded crackpots like Michelle Bachmann becoming the face of the party . If there's a separation between the TP and the GOP as a whole anymore, it's invisible to most people. Back to the free speech thing-- I guess it comes down to the question of, is a corporation or a lobbyiing firm entitled to the same freedom of speech as an individual? Philosophically, I would say no. Sadly, the ship has finally sailed, I think, on the "corporations are not people" argument, but I don't think that the Founding Fathers would say that protecting the right of a billion-dollar multinational company to skew the political process in its own favor is what they had in mind when they made freedom of speech a cornerstone of our democracy.
The foundation of any corporation, lobbying group, union, special interest, and billion dollar multi-national are individual people. We do differ in that you believe that rights are gained and lost depending on who you are associated with, and I don't. I is just a fundamental difference is our political philosophy and we aren't going to convince each other otherwise. I would think the founding fathers would agree that the rights are inalienable regardless of ones current status. Again, if "Big Money" had the influence in politics that you claim, a Clinton/Bush general election would be a foregone conclusion. But as we see with Trump, Carson, and Sanders that is clearly not the case.

I think Trump and Carson are great examples of social media influence.  Facebook, twitter, youtube, instagram are all free and extremely powerful.  Obviously Trump has a ton of money, but neither of them are spending a penny on advertising because they can get their message out to just as many people for free.  The big special interest folks dump money into campaigns so they can spend money on advertising, but thew advertising world has changed significantly over the past decade.

I totally get where Jackemy1 is coming from and agree that we have to allow the big dollars, but I still don't like it.  I also think that due to the social media climate the power of the big dollar in politics has been diminished.   Bush can spend $100M on an add campaign running it on every station in the country and Trump can send out a quick tweet to a youtube for free to successfully rebut it.  10 years ago, the defending candidate would have to have the $ to counter big dollar ads with their own big dollar ads.  If they didn't have the money then they didn't compete.

Twitter is the home of the illiterate, gullible, and dumb.....and if you use it and one of those traits does not describe you, stand by.....you'll inherit at least one just by going there and using it as a source of information. 

Now, get off my lawn.

2015-08-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Twitter is the home of the illiterate, gullible, and dumb.....and if you use it and one of those traits does not describe you, stand by.....you'll inherit at least one just by going there and using it as a source of information. 

Now, get off my lawn.

I use twitter...  what are you trying to say?  lol

2015-08-27 12:11 PM

User image

Pro

Now, get off my lawn.

I use twitter...  what are you trying to say?  lol

I think it's fine for play......but it's now morphed into what many consider a "news source".  That' some of the dumbest crap in the history of dumb crap. 

For the record...I don't think you're dumb, and you're certainly not illiterate.....so.........  

2015-08-27 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Sorry, but other than being a laundry list of recent major news stories, I don't see how any of the things you listed demonstrate that Social Media is lessening the reach of big money in politics. Social media exists, obviously, and it's changing the way people view the news and communicate with each other, but I don't see how it's limited the ability of guys like Soros and the Koch brothers and other big donors from hijackiing the political process. The sad thing is, social media probably has made people more aware of how much money runs politics, but it just serves to illustrate how powerless the average person is to do anything about it.

If anything, your example of the Tea Party is representative of the opposite. Here you had a grass-roots political movement that was dedicated to smaller government and fiscal conservatism above all else-- something that lots of people on both sides of the aisle could identify with, including even, famously, the de facto leaders of an Occupy Wall Street group. Unfortunatley, it wasn't long befor the right-wing conservative establishment overrran the party with their hard-line social conservative platform, with well-funded crackpots like Michelle Bachmann becoming the face of the party . If there's a separation between the TP and the GOP as a whole anymore, it's invisible to most people.

Back to the free speech thing-- I guess it comes down to the question of, is a corporation or a lobbyiing firm entitled to the same freedom of speech as an individual? Philosophically, I would say no. Sadly, the ship has finally sailed, I think, on the "corporations are not people" argument, but I don't think that the Founding Fathers would say that protecting the right of a billion-dollar multinational company to skew the political process in its own favor is what they had in mind when they made freedom of speech a cornerstone of our democracy.

The foundation of any corporation, lobbying group, union, special interest, and billion dollar multi-national are individual people. We do differ in that you believe that rights are gained and lost depending on who you are associated with, and I don't. I is just a fundamental difference is our political philosophy and we aren't going to convince each other otherwise. I would think the founding fathers would agree that the rights are inalienable regardless of ones current status.

Again, if "Big Money" had the influence in politics that you claim, a Clinton/Bush general election would be a foregone conclusion. But as we see with Trump, Carson, and Sanders that is clearly not the case.

All fair points. For the record, I'm not at all convinced that we still won't end up with a Clinton/Bush general election.

2015-08-28 7:38 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

All fair points. For the record, I'm not at all convinced that we still won't end up with a Clinton/Bush general election.

I am becoming less convinced. I think about a year ago I commented here that the big establishment GOP money, who sat out Romney and McCain, was testing the waters with Bush and that he would eventually enter the race and win the nomination. Now that I've listen to Bush, I've changed my opinion that no amount of money can get that guy elected. He is by far, the worst of the three Bushes.

I do think the political climate has changed tremendously and this election has an extremely anti-establishment feel and I am all for it.

I also think Clinton is in big trouble and I would take the long odds right now that she doesn't win the nomination. For what purpose does Biden have to be thinking to jumping into the race now other than the establishment Democrats know they have a dog as a candidate? It is a very tell tale sign that the smart money is hedging their bets.

2015-08-28 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I am becoming less convinced. I think about a year ago I commented here that the big establishment GOP money, who sat out Romney and McCain, was testing the waters with Bush and that he would eventually enter the race and win the nomination. Now that I've listen to Bush, I've changed my opinion that no amount of money can get that guy elected. He is by far, the worst of the three Bushes. I do think the political climate has changed tremendously and this election has an extremely anti-establishment feel and I am all for it. I also think Clinton is in big trouble and I would take the long odds right now that she doesn't win the nomination. For what purpose does Biden have to be thinking to jumping into the race now other than the establishment Democrats know they have a dog as a candidate? It is a very tell tale sign that the smart money is hedging their bets.

The country is always anti-establishment a year before an election. There's nothing at stake so we can vent about what a horrible job Washington is doing. It's why Ron Paul was able to poll so well in 2007 and 2011. But once the primaries start nearing, the attitude will change from who do we really like to who has the best chance to beat our opponent. And once that happens, people like Trump, Carson, and Sanders will all fade away and we'll be left with Bush/Clinton or some other rank and file Rep/Dem candidates.

That's why a third party candidate will never have a chance. The two parties have bamboozled the country in to embracing the whole 'us against them' mentality. I really thought Libertarians had a chance in 2012 to make a dent in the election (not win, but get enough votes to receive campaign financing for 2016). But in the end, people from both sides who supported libertarian ideas were too afraid of throwing their vote away, so they voted against the guy they hated.

2015-08-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Tejas
Jackemy has brought Biden testing the waters. Anyone here believe we might hear from Kerry? He's shot himself in the foot a lot fewer times than Biden and he's probably the more intelligent of the two.
2015-08-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: #5130397

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO
Bad analogy on Kerry...because of he shot himself in the foot, would he try to get a Purple Heart? We might see the swift vets return
2015-08-28 3:23 PM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by bsjracing Bad analogy on Kerry...because of he shot himself in the foot, would he try to get a Purple Heart? We might see the swift vets return

that's bad... OK, I laughed, but it's still bad.  lol

Could you imagine another Kerry Bush election... 

2015-08-28 3:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by bsjracing Bad analogy on Kerry...because of he shot himself in the foot, would he try to get a Purple Heart? We might see the swift vets return

that's bad... OK, I laughed, but it's still bad.  lol

Could you imagine another Kerry Bush election...   

edit... woops, posted the hanging chad guy, but that was bush/gore.  oops, i must be getting old

Edited by tuwood 2015-08-28 3:26 PM
2015-08-28 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

I know it was bad...but it was low hanging fruit....it was too easy

2015-09-30 4:44 PM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2015-09-30 5:22 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

I came to this thread to post the same thing.  Yes- Kevin McCarthy (the GOPs next Speaker), has admitted what we all already knew.  That the Benghazi hearings were all about just tarnishing the image of Clinton.  It's simply a smear campaign at taxpayer expense.  

When I've brought up stuff like this in the past on other political forums, my right wing counterparts basically said, 'yup, that's fair game'.  We're in control and we get to use the government any way we want."  Basically, I got nobody on the right to admit that this was in any way immoral or inappropriate.  That it's just all part of the political game.

Just wondering- are my conservative friends here OK with using the power of a majority in congress, to use the legislative body they control to intentionally smear a political candidate?  There have already been seven investigations, 13 hearings, 50 briefings, and 25,000 pages of documents have been released on the subject.  After the initial investigations resulted in a clear report with a couple dozen actions, all of which Clinton accepted, this has been nothing but a politically motivated smear.  It serves absolutely no purpose other than to generate negative sounding press against an opponent.

Go ahead.  Please share your morality with us.

2015-09-30 5:31 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by morey000

I came to this thread to post the same thing.  Yes- Kevin McCarthy (the GOPs next Speaker), has admitted what we all already knew.  That the Benghazi hearings were all about just tarnishing the image of Clinton.  It's simply a smear campaign at taxpayer expense.  

When I've brought up stuff like this in the past on other political forums, my right wing counterparts basically said, 'yup, that's fair game'.  We're in control and we get to use the government any way we want."  Basically, I got nobody on the right to admit that this was in any way immoral or inappropriate.  That it's just all part of the political game.

Just wondering- are my conservative friends here OK with using the power of a majority in congress, to use the legislative body they control to intentionally smear a political candidate?  There have already been seven investigations, 13 hearings, 50 briefings, and 25,000 pages of documents have been released on the subject.  After the initial investigations resulted in a clear report with a couple dozen actions, all of which Clinton accepted, this has been nothing but a politically motivated smear.  It serves absolutely no purpose other than to generate negative sounding press against an opponent.

Go ahead.  Please share your morality with us.

Not sure if it's a moral thing, but I think the Republicans have beat the Benghazi horse so much that it makes them look stupid at this point.  So, no I don't think it's appropriate.  There's not a person who doesn't know already that we screwed up in Benghazi by not recognizing the security threat that there was.  We also didn't do very well responding during the events that led to the ambassadors death.  The administration did it's best to try and spin the story which backfired on them somewhat.  End of discussion.

I completely agree that the Republicans are trying to continue the witch hunt for political reasons at this point.  I also feel that it's so obvious that it's backfiring on them from a political standpoint.

On a positive note, I will say that I'd rather the lawmakers were doing this than passing more bills to spend more money we don't have on stupid stuff.  So there is a silver lining.  

2015-09-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

I got nobody on the right to admit that this was in any way immoral or inappropriate.  

You know, once somebody on either side of the isle starts talking about "inappropriate and immoral" I just quit listening.  Neither side has a corner on that market.

Seriously, that's just lame.   Point out that it's wrong and move on without the commentary about what anyone needs to consider immoral or inappropriate.....that's the exact point where stupid starts.

2015-09-30 5:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I got nobody on the right to admit that this was in any way immoral or inappropriate.  

You know, once somebody on either side of the isle starts talking about "inappropriate and immoral" I just quit listening.  Neither side has a corner on that market.

Seriously, that's just lame.   Point out that it's wrong and move on without the commentary about what anyone needs to consider immoral or inappropriate.....that's the exact point where stupid starts.

bullchit LB.  The conservatives make a huge (or as trump says YUUUUUGE) deal out of crap, when they are exposed to have wasted tax dollars on furthering their own political ends, we get to call them the eff out.  When you run on a platform of so called fiscal responsibility, you should be HARSHLY criticized and dragged through the trail of BS that you've left when you do this.

2015-09-30 5:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

You're missing my point.  Tell me out what you think is right or wrong and save me from the "moral good people".....that's a forking joke. I'll take the information and evaluate it for myself.  Make no mistake, both sides are just as guilty.  I'm not taking sides......because like I said, once someone starts trying to stand on a platform or morality and appropriateness I just start laughing and stop listening.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-30 6:02 PM
2015-09-30 6:38 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

bullchit LB.  The conservatives make a huge (or as trump says YUUUUUGE) deal out of crap, when they are exposed to have wasted tax dollars on furthering their own political ends, we get to call them the eff out.  When you run on a platform of so called fiscal responsibility, you should be HARSHLY criticized and dragged through the trail of BS that you've left when you do this.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » School me on Hilary Clinton Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Pages: 1 2 3

Started by switch
Views: 4331 Posts: 56

2014-03-25 2:28 PM Aarondb4

School me on religious arguments please... Pages: 1 2

Started by So Fresh So Clean
Views: 5194 Posts: 47

2014-01-17 3:14 PM tuwood

Religion in schools again Pages: 1 2

Started by tuwood
Views: 3174 Posts: 26

2013-09-13 10:56 AM tuwood

Prayer in School Pages: 1 2

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 4199 Posts: 39

2013-08-09 12:22 PM tuwood

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1633 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
comments : 0
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.