General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ready for an oly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-22 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: Ready for an oly?
I'm worried whether I can finish an oly on 8/23.

I ran 5 miles today, biked 20 miles slowly but fairly easily and went from swimming 8 laps at a time to a record 46 laps. All painfully slow, but I'm used to struggling in last place in sprints.

New season, I'm down 40 lbs (I'm 5'1") and while not consistent, my training has been better than past years. I'm feeling really good about my sprint 8/31, so I've made progress, just not sure about the oly. If I was sure I'd be able to finish I'd go for the struggle, as I've said I'm used to being last, just thought I'd be better now. Don't like the idea of dragging myself across the line or worst fear is not finishing.

I've wanted to do this for a few years and this is the closest I've gotten. I can kick myself for not being more consistent the last few months, but that's pointless (for now, I will remember this feeling next year!)

Can I do this? Should I go for it?

Mitzi

2015-07-23 8:18 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Ready for an oly?

I took a look at your logs and if it were me I wouldn't attempt an Oly based on the volume of training that you have done.

You might be able to drag yourself to the finish, but it would be a long, hard day.

I suggest that you take a look at the free Oly training plans here on BT to get an idea of what you should be doing to reasonably prepare.  

There will be other races.  I would hate for a bad experience to discourage you.

Good luck,

Mark

2015-07-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I took a look at your logs and if it were me I wouldn't attempt an Oly based on the volume of training that you have done.

You might be able to drag yourself to the finish, but it would be a long, hard day.

I suggest that you take a look at the free Oly training plans here on BT to get an idea of what you should be doing to reasonably prepare.  

There will be other races.  I would hate for a bad experience to discourage you.

Good luck,

Mark

If your training logs are up to date, I have to agree with Mark.

You are in for a lot of suffering, as you have not put in enough volume to get through an OLY.
2015-08-23 2:48 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Well I was going to follow your advice, but just couldn't get myself to drop to a sprint or not show up. I just felt that I committed to it, so I kept at it. Just finished my first oly.
I brought up the rear, though my bike was 75 percentile, run was a little better - did it in 1:07, not good, but I didn't walk.
The swim was awful - it took my 55 mins., was last out of water. Don't get it, I swim but almost go backward. People doing the doggie paddle passed me. Have got to take swim lessons.

It hurt and I'm not proud of being at the bottom, but I did it. Now to kill it in 2016!

Mitzi
2015-08-23 2:53 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Congratulations! Now that you know what to expect, you'll be able to plan your training for next year. I agree with you...Get some swimming lessons! They were absolutely the best investment I've made in my triathlon experience.
2015-08-24 6:06 AM
in reply to: martymo

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm not familiar enough with the site to know how to view others' training logs (and I don't keep mine, here)......but, isn't the only real question...."Can you complete the swim"?

If you biked 20 mi, and ran 5 just recently..........I don't think 24 and 6.2 is a total stretch.

You just wouldn't be "racing".

2015-08-24 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Well I was going to follow your advice, but just couldn't get myself to drop to a sprint or not show up. I just felt that I committed to it, so I kept at it. Just finished my first oly. I brought up the rear, though my bike was 75 percentile, run was a little better - did it in 1:07, not good, but I didn't walk. The swim was awful - it took my 55 mins., was last out of water. Don't get it, I swim but almost go backward. People doing the doggie paddle passed me. Have got to take swim lessons. It hurt and I'm not proud of being at the bottom, but I did it. Now to kill it in 2016! Mitzi

Congrats on toughing it out to the end.

Races can be great learning experiences.  It sounds like you've identified what you need to work on, particularly the swim.  Good luck with your training going forward.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ready for an oly? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I ready for an Oly?

Started by ultramomma
Views: 802 Posts: 7

2010-09-05 5:54 PM ultramomma

How do I know if I am I ready for an Oly? Pages: 1 2

Started by kevinkeel
Views: 4627 Posts: 35

2010-07-29 12:25 PM CRunner10

am i ready for an oly?

Started by wabash
Views: 884 Posts: 12

2009-08-04 7:23 AM wabash

Am I ready for an Oly?

Started by Hazelmn
Views: 826 Posts: 11

2007-07-23 6:52 PM Donto

Am I ready for Oly distance?

Started by jessicadawn
Views: 1312 Posts: 18

2007-07-03 4:34 PM jackjack
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I'm not sure if one of these models is better, both are from 2009 aluminum/carbon combinations. I realize this is a difficult question but any thoughts as which bike is better for a woman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?