General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweat test Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-22 11:07 PM

Subject: Sweat test
This morning I performed a sweat test. I lost 5 lbs on a 60 mintue run. I ran a slower pace as I just completed a 70.3.

Was looking for advice about fueling as I'm prone to cramping.

Any idea or help would be greatly appreciated.

2015-07-23 7:16 AM
in reply to: CMR242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sweat test

Did you take any fluids on the run?  Read this: http://www.beverageinstitute.org/article/how-to-calculate-your-swea...

2015-07-23 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by CMR242

Was looking for advice about fueling as I'm prone to cramping.

Any idea or help would be greatly appreciated.

As was posted in the HIM thread, your issue almost certainly lies in pacing for your fitness and conditions.

Shane
2015-07-23 1:07 PM
in reply to: #5130521

Shane

I have a hard time thinking my pace was the problem as I was under my bike time trail numbers.

I drank approximately 20oz of fluids per hour on the bike with tailwind mixed in with it. Then another 16 oz water bottle. It was hot and humid last Sunday. How much fluid should I be taking. I feel like I'm not high enough with the ratio of sweat coming out of me.
2015-07-23 1:22 PM

User image

Exton, PA

Shane

I have a hard time thinking my pace was the problem as I was under my bike time trail numbers.

I drank approximately 20oz of fluids per hour on the bike with tailwind mixed in with it. Then another 16 oz water bottle. It was hot and humid last Sunday. How much fluid should I be taking. I feel like I'm not high enough with the ratio of sweat coming out of me.

How hot was it outside? this is a factor in taking in fluids.

What you have stated is not excessive amounts of fluid. For my IM last month on a day that was 75-83° I drank 24 oz of Gatorade every 45 minutes, and was prepared to drink more if it was hotter.
2015-07-23 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Shane

How did you pace? HR, power, RPE, combo?

Also, depending on the swim, 30-50 minutes of swimming prior to a 56 mile ride is going to have an impact.

Shane

2015-07-23 3:41 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Durham, North Carolina
AWESOME ENDURANCE

WWW.AWESOMEENDURANCE.COM

SWEAT TEST

WEIGH YOURSELF NAKED PRE RIDE OR RUN-EMPTY BLADDER PRIOR

WEIGH YOURSELF AFTERWARD NAKED

SUBTRACT THOSE NUMBERS AND CONVERT TO OUNCES

TOTAL THE OUNCES OF FLUID YOU DRANK DURING YOUR SESSION

THE FORMULA WILL LOOK LIKE THIS:

PRE WEIGHT-POST WEIGHT= X POUNDS (CONVERT TO OZ + OZ DRANK) DIVIDE BY HOURS=OZ PER HOUR

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE: I WEIGHED 170 PRIOR TO RIDE, I WEIGHED 167 AT END AND I CONSUMED 60

OZ. IN 3 HOURS OF RIDING.

170-167=3 (3X16=48), 48 + 60= 108 /3=36 OZ PER HOUR

INSTEAD OF DRINKING 20 OZ PER HOUR, I SHOULD HAVE DRUNK AN ADDITIONAL 16 OZ PER HOUR.

THIS SHOUD ALSO BE DONE AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE SEASON TO GET AN ACCURATE GAUGE OF OUR SWEATING RATIO

THIS TEST CAN BE DONE EITHER RUNNING OR BIKING AND SHOULD LAST AT LEAST AN HOUR.

I just got this in an email today from my tri club. I hope it helps. All of this info I got from Coach Marty from www.awesomeendurance.com. Sorry for the caps, but I just copy and pasted it.
2015-07-23 10:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Lupy

AWESOME ENDURANCE

WWW.AWESOMEENDURANCE.COM

SWEAT TEST

WEIGH YOURSELF NAKED PRE RIDE OR RUN-EMPTY BLADDER PRIOR

WEIGH YOURSELF AFTERWARD NAKED

SUBTRACT THOSE NUMBERS AND CONVERT TO OUNCES

TOTAL THE OUNCES OF FLUID YOU DRANK DURING YOUR SESSION

THE FORMULA WILL LOOK LIKE THIS:

PRE WEIGHT-POST WEIGHT= X POUNDS (CONVERT TO OZ + OZ DRANK) DIVIDE BY HOURS=OZ PER HOUR

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE: I WEIGHED 170 PRIOR TO RIDE, I WEIGHED 167 AT END AND I CONSUMED 60

OZ. IN 3 HOURS OF RIDING.

170-167=3 (3X16=48), 48 + 60= 108 /3=36 OZ PER HOUR

INSTEAD OF DRINKING 20 OZ PER HOUR, I SHOULD HAVE DRUNK AN ADDITIONAL 16 OZ PER HOUR.

THIS SHOUD ALSO BE DONE AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE SEASON TO GET AN ACCURATE GAUGE OF OUR SWEATING RATIO

THIS TEST CAN BE DONE EITHER RUNNING OR BIKING AND SHOULD LAST AT LEAST AN HOUR.

I just got this in an email today from my tri club. I hope it helps. All of this info I got from Coach Marty from www.awesomeendurance.com. Sorry for the caps, but I just copy and pasted it.

I'm sorry, but there is a flaw in this logic which is the idea that you need to replace every drop of fluid you sweat out during the run or ride. You don't. You will always finish slightly dehydrated, and you can safely lose up to 4% of your body weight in a run or ride without negative consequences. And if you do make too much of an effort to drink enough to replace everything that you sweat, you run the risk of drinking too much (and developing hyponatremia-- which is much more dangerous than dehydration).

It can be really really dangerous to over-hydrate, so please do not follow a formula like this and drink too much. If you followed this protocol and drank 36 ounces per hour over three hours, that might be too much.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-07-23 10:23 PM
2015-07-23 10:20 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

knowing how much you sweat is mostly irrelevant.  Your body only has the ability to absorb a certain amount of fluid at a certain level of exertion.  The best you can do is take that much in. 

What you need to figure out is how fast you can go when its really hot in order to allow yourself to take in adequate fluid and nutrition, and not overexert yourself.

2015-07-23 11:58 PM
in reply to: mike761

It was pretty hot out. 83 degress and super humid. I was sweating pretty good on the bike
and then stopped sweating. I think that I need more fluids but I don't want to drink too much.
Have not found that sweet spot yet.

Prior to the race I used a Osmo preload the night before and the morning.
2015-07-24 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Living in Texas, I regularly run/bike in 95-105 temps. Key is to build up tolerance and go easier than you think in the beginning. Then you can speed up once your body adjusts. Also hydrate, hydrate, hydrate all day long...every day. This will help you immensely during your workouts. During a run under 1hr, I don't even bother with fluids. You should be ok, unless you are dehydrated before your run begins. On the bike, I personally go through 1 24oz bottle per hour. One bottle is plain water, one is an electrolyte mix (I use a mix of nuun and powerade powder). Even with that much drinking, I will still lose 3-5lbs for a 2-3hr ride.

All that said, everyone is different. 5lbs for me is not much seeing as I am 225lbs. Thats only 2.2% of my bodyweight. And I am very used to the heat. I am also a very heavy sweater. So really the key is to play around with different variables in this formula and find what works best for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweat test Rss Feed