General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-23 1:37 PM

Rockwall, Texas
Subject: Newbie questions
A few questions:
1) Equipment - how important is it to use all the "right" equipment? I'm more of a recreational person with this, so I'm biking on a mountain bike that's 20 yrs old and use just a Target brand suit to swim in. Just not sure I want to spend thousands of dollars and only do one or two of these!
2) Program - I'm doing the 3x training for sprint. For the running days, Prior to starting the program, I was running 30 mins (for me, about 3 miles) three times per week. Do I keep at that level or do I get better benefit overall to shorten to the times on the scheduler? For instance, today I was supposed to run 19 mins, but ran 30.
3) 1st triathlon - there's a sprint here in a couple of weeks. By then I'll only be 4 weeks into the program. Would it be foolish to attempt it? I was thinking about doing it just to get a baseline.

2015-07-23 1:44 PM
in reply to: biggfam5

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Newbie questions

1. You're fine....enjoy the training and see if you like it before you invest heavily.

2. Just do the plan.  You have added biking and swimming.  Your run base will serve you well but if you are going to follow a plan, then follow the plan.

3. Provided you can do the swim, you could finish a sprint triathlon tomorrow.

2015-07-23 1:56 PM

User image

Swim dependent you most likely could do the sprint in a few weeks. You might be better off finding a race a little farther out to give yourself more time to train. Which will lead to a better experience for your first race. If you do that I would still go watch the race that's a few weeks away. That will give you some insight to how it all works. Things like set up and transitions.
2015-07-23 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by biggfam5

A few questions:
1) Equipment - how important is it to use all the "right" equipment? I'm more of a recreational person with this, so I'm biking on a mountain bike that's 20 yrs old and use just a Target brand suit to swim in. Just not sure I want to spend thousands of dollars and only do one or two of these!
2) Program - I'm doing the 3x training for sprint. For the running days, Prior to starting the program, I was running 30 mins (for me, about 3 miles) three times per week. Do I keep at that level or do I get better benefit overall to shorten to the times on the scheduler? For instance, today I was supposed to run 19 mins, but ran 30.
3) 1st triathlon - there's a sprint here in a couple of weeks. By then I'll only be 4 weeks into the program. Would it be foolish to attempt it? I was thinking about doing it just to get a baseline.

For your first Tri you will be able to get by on a MTB. It's not ideal and it will be slow. but I've seen plenty of people do it. just make sure you get your tire pressure all the way up, or pick up a set of road slicks to minimize rolling resistance.

As far as the swim suit is concerned, I would suggest getting out on your bike with your suit on and see if it will be comfortable enough to ride in for around 45 minutes to an hour (because you'll be on a MTB). I would suggest finding a good cheap pair of swim jammers. These are meant to be worn as a swim suit and they have bicycle short padding.

As far as running goes I would suggest practice running after some biking. The biggest issue I have seen, and I had the same experience, is transitioning from biking to running, and how to stretch on the bike when you're coming in right before the transition area. Your pace is going to feel slow and you'll want to push yourself because you were just riding 15mph on your bike. Get your tempo figured out to save yourself for pushing too hard in the first mile. I started off with a 15 minute bike ride and transitioned to a 15 minute run. and went up to 30 minute rides to 30 minute runs.

Edited by citiznkain 2015-07-23 2:02 PM
2015-07-23 3:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by citiznkain

Originally posted by biggfam5

As far as the swim suit is concerned, I would suggest getting out on your bike with your suit on and see if it will be comfortable enough to ride in for around 45 minutes to an hour (because you'll be on a MTB). I would suggest finding a good cheap pair of swim jammers. These are meant to be worn as a swim suit and they have bicycle short padding.

I would also make sure you are completely wet when you try it off. Either swim first or hose yourself down and then get on the bike to test it out. I would recommend getting a pair of tri shorts. If you have a local tri shop or bike shop go there and see if they have any on clearance. If you can get over wearing them in public it would be worth it.

Edited by Lupy 2015-07-23 3:37 PM
2015-07-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: #5130617

Rockwall, Texas
Thanks all! This does help. My 3x balanced has me biking and swimming on the same day so I've been riding to the pool, swimming, then riding home. I'll look into the jammers/tri-shorts and see how those go. Also good suggestion on the tire pressure. The mountain bike is definitely not as smooth as some of the others (ego check when a 60-yr-old lady passes you on the road on her bike).
Very helpful in the comment to follow the plan. I guess I was concerned about losing some of what I'd gained by running less time.

2015-07-24 10:13 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Like you, I'm getting ready for my first sprint. If you can afford the registration for the race, then I think it would be worthwhile to get some tri-shorts too. I bought a nice pair of Orca's on clearance at Sierra Trading Post for about $30.

I started my training in my standard beach swimsuit before getting some jammers and the resistance difference in the pool was more substantial than expected.

I've also worn standard running shorts while biking and to me the tri-shorts are much, much more comfortable (especially after I get sweaty).

If you decide you can handle spending a few more dollars, for me a cycling jersey with pockets in the back has been pretty handy for the investment (again, Sierra Trading Post, only $10).

Of course, all of this comes after you buy a helmet for the bike if you don't already have one.
2015-07-24 1:55 PM
in reply to: marti038

I'm new to Triathlon's but tons of biking experience (just not much road biking). I have been asked a lot over the years "is my bike good enough" for this or that. I always tell them that your bike will let you know when it's time to upgrade. If you can do what your hoping to do on a heavy old beater bike, are comfortable on it and aren't getting hurt or riding dangerously, it sounds like an upgrade is completely optional. But if you start finding that you can't shift smooth, skipping gears, feel the bike flexing where it shouldn't be (pedals and cranks especially) or... if you just get tired of seeing the other riders going twice as fast as you with half as much effort, you will not only know you need to upgrade, you will WANT to upgrade!

As far as how much of an upgrade? Basically the same theory. But until you are experienced enough to know exactly what you need and want, BUY USED BIKES!! The reason being if you buy a $1,000 used bike and then decide it's not the right one for you, you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it. If you buy a new $3,000 bike and decide it's not for you, you can sell it for for about probably $2,300 +/- . My son works at a bike shop and they mark up Cannondales 40% or so. The people who buy used bikes buy them because they don't like paying that 40%!! lol

2015-07-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Groton, New York
Originally posted by Left Brain

1. You're fine....enjoy the training and see if you like it before you invest heavily.

2. Just do the plan.  You have added biking and swimming.  Your run base will serve you well but if you are going to follow a plan, then follow the plan.

3. Provided you can do the swim, you could finish a sprint triathlon tomorrow.

[/QUOTE

^^ This^^

Unless you are trying to race at a particular pace or beat some time you could do a sprint tri tomorrow. My first race was a small local sprint tri, very newbie friendly. The swim was in a pool (16 pool lengths), 15 mile bike ride, then a 4.2 mile run. I've done this race three years now just because it is a fun race in the spring to kick off the season. I've watched people backstroke the entire pool portion, I've watched people on old mountain bikes on the bike course, and I've watched people walk the run. They all finished the race. They all had a good time and they all got to experience the whole triathlon thing without there being a lot of pressure from 'experts' or a lot of money invested in it.

Just go and do it, it is the only way to truly learn whether you like it and what you might want to do different for the 'next' one if you do.
2015-07-24 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Equipment:  If you listen to the advertisers in  the glossy triathlon magazines, having the right equipment is VERY important.    
If your bike is in good working order and you enjoy riding it, keep riding it even for triathlons.  (I did my first two on a mountain bike and I've seen people riding mountain bikes in HIM's).  Some races have specific divisions for people riding mountain bikes.  

Program:  3X is great.  Keep it up but make sure you aren't putting yourself at risk for injury.  Find and follow a training plan.  BT has some good ones.  

Readiness:  As long as you feel you can safely complete the swim, I say go for it.  

2015-07-25 10:38 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

One thing I forgot to mention to help with transitions is to invest $10 in a race belt for your race bid. This way you don't have to fuss with getting a jersey on with a pinned number.

2015-07-26 9:04 AM
in reply to: citiznkain

User image

Durham, North Carolina

One thing I forgot to mention to help with transitions is to invest $10 in a race belt for your race bid. This way you don't have to fuss with getting a jersey on with a pinned number.

This is definitely very helpful and probably less than $10.
2015-07-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

the things you need are shoes, helmet, bike, clothes. My brother in law just did his first sprint in a pair of swim jammers then put on a shirt for bike and run.

If you are willing to spend a little money then a race belt and a pair of tri shorts would be your best investment and you can get both for under $50 if you shop around a little. When you pick up your registration they may even have a race belt (got mine for $5 at my first race). The belt makes it easier to put your number on, and the shorts have a little padding but can be worn to swim bike and run.

2015-07-27 11:17 AM

I did my first several tris on a hybrid and a nothing but a swimsuit (jammer type).
One was even a 20 mile ride.
Granted, it's the cushiest seat of any bike I've ever ridden, but it caused no problems.
Sounds like you'll have no problem finishing.
2015-07-27 11:23 AM
in reply to: citiznkain

Oh, heck yes.
Check the clearance racks at running stores or even the big box stores.
I've now got two of them. One was like $4.
The other I got as a free gift when I bought something else.

So much easier than dealing with safety pins. If you're just wearing a swimsuit, you'll have to put some sort of shirt on. Sure, the number will be already on and you can wear it on the run too. But, you don't usually have to wear the bib on the bike, and when they want you to wear it, with the belt, you can slide it around behind when you're on the bike.

I'm just not fond of the safety pins. And the new magnets thingies are expensive and look easily lost while fumbling around in transition.
2015-07-27 12:51 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hi,
I completed my first sprint yesterday and I would say - do it for the fun! It's such an awesome experience
Of course - depending on your swimming.
I did not want to spend too much money before I know I absolutely love this sport, so here is the list of what I used. It also gave me an idea of where I need to invest some money, and what I should change for future races:
1. Swim: I have sports swim suit, goggles and cap - nothing fancy. Swim suit gave me enough support for my breast that I could run in it (not guys' problem )
2. Bike: I got old mountain bike about a month before the race (for free) and I decided I need a road bike (mostly for efficiency). I bought used road bike ($225) to see if I like it. It's incredible how much difference it is. It makes cycling easier and faster. I barely felt I was biking. Although, I also saw plenty of people on the mountain bike.
I had the same shoes for biking and running. My feet pronate and I had to have special shoes with inserts too, and did not want to loose time at transition. I also did not feel like spending money for biking shoes before I feel it's necessary.
I biked in running shorts.
Helmet - the regular helmet from Walmart.
Sunglasses
3. Run: I only put the shirt with bib number. Some people suggested belt with the number. You definitely don't want to mess up with pins in transition.

Now that I know I absolutely love this sport, here's where I want to invest some$$:
- I will buy aero bars for my bike
- I'm thinking of sport bra and biking shorts that I could swim and run in
- I am thinking of the shoes that would clip to the bike

I would suggest (if you feel strongly about your swimming) to try the upcoming sprint - it will give you an idea of how transitions work, how to organize things, what your weaknesses are, and what extra equipment/accessories you need. And you will also have plenty of fun!

Good luck and keep us posted
Mary

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie questions Rss Feed