General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First post - new to it all Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-23 5:30 PM

Subject: First post - new to it all

Hello and thank you to all contribute to this resource.

I guess a little about me is needed for this to be a proper first post. I am 35 and live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I use to be really out of shape at a staggering 340lbs and when my son was born I decided to change that and started a nutrition plan and weight lifting 4 or 5 days a week. I did really well with it and got down to about 190lbs in about a year however I started working more hours and fell off.

So its been about a year and I am back up to about 240lbs and wanting to start working towards my long term health goals because I want to ensure I do everything possible to be here for my son as long as possible. I feel I need something that I can have manageable short and long terms goals to strive for and enough variance to keep me focused which has brought me here.

I have a fixed gear bike which I plan to use for training for now... not sure how that would do for anything other than a sprint. I really need to work on my swimming since my technique is not correct at all. I know for now my focus should just be time swimming/cycling/running. I would ask for advice but I am sure with some more time on the site I am sure I can find information that has probably been stated hundreds of times to people just like me.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.
Ed

2015-07-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: EdMoney

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: First post - new to it all

Hi Ed,

Welcome to BT and congratulations on your progress thus far and your commitment to a healthy lifestyle.

The only advice I would offer at this point is to be consistent with your training, so you can build on your progress.  It takes time to build up your endurance base so be patient and don't try to do too much too soon.

Lots of good folks here on BT willing to share their expertise and experience.  

Again, welcome and good luck with your training.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First post - new to it all Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm New, First Post...

Started by davidschap
Views: 666 Posts: 5

2012-09-18 12:45 PM davidschap

First post, new member, new to tri's

Started by GDTRFB
Views: 788 Posts: 3

2012-08-29 9:47 AM BigDH

Not a new member but one of my first posts

Started by davet2009
Views: 722 Posts: 2

2011-12-06 5:33 PM kloofyroland

New guy's first post

Started by hanes36
Views: 582 Posts: 8

2005-10-22 10:31 PM hanes36

My First Post on my First Tri

Started by ronanlee
Views: 1760 Posts: 16

2004-02-28 10:54 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : November 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Diane1961
I ponder my training. Should I have trained differently? Should I have trained more? Should I have trained harder? Should I not be wearing a sail?