General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit by a car Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-23 10:29 PM

User image

Subject: Hit by a car
Just happened about an hour ago. I got hit in the ribs by a small older jeep rear view mirror. Threw me off the bike. Got lucky, think I just have bruised ribs and road rash. I was headed home at dusk, blinking light was on. I think the guy was probably on his phone. Just a guess though. He gave me and my mangled bike a ride home. Asked him how fast he thought he was going and he said about 35. Bike doesn't look so good. Be careful out there!

How many people has something like this happened to?

2015-07-24 12:23 AM
in reply to: kmfioc

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Hit by a car
I've been hit, busted my collarbone and femur.

Hip surgery, 7 months to get back to work, and 2 years to even start running.

Some road rash and bruised ribs would have been preferable!!

Toasted my wheelset though.

That sucks that your bike isn't looking good, the rest of mine was salvageable, even if it had scratches on a few components.
2015-07-24 8:21 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Similar story - got hit by the oversize drive side mirror on a pickup truck when the driver crossed way over the midline on a sharp turn and got me going the other way. Looked like my torso, shoulder and arm had been painted blue black afterward (plus road rash from flying into the ditch). No fractures, thank God. He stopped to check on me and seemed worse off than I. The mirror had shattered on impact and the glass flew through the open window. His face looked like it had been in a meat grinder. He drove himself to the hospital, and I was able to ride home. Karma is a b*&^% !
2015-07-24 10:51 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Got hit by nitwit. Got concussion, separated shoulder and detached Achilles tendon. I vaguely recall the driver saying "Didn't you see me?" I ended up chasing her away from the scene because she was an idiot and I thought I was fine (didn't feel any pain until a few minutes later). Its been a few years now and I still don't ride major roads. Only deserted roads, trails or indoor trainer.
2015-07-24 11:20 AM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
8 years ago a car flew by me, then slammed on their brakes and took a right turn right into me. I had a broken wrist, two broken elbows, and a tibial plateau fracture that shattered 3 inches of bone down. Not a fun recovery. Still can not run or bike very well, but enjoy doing tri's . Anytime you escape major injury or worse, consider yourself lucky.
2015-07-24 11:27 AM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

I definitely consider myself lucky. Im wondering what to do now. The driver voluntarily gave me his information and a ride home. As i said earlier, Im definitely sore on my entire left side. I really just want the driver to take care of my bike expenses as my injuries do not seem to require a hospital visit or anything.

Ive read that I should file a report with the DMV for statistical and information purposes for future safety concerns. I think I will do this. Im think Im going to contact the driver today and see if we can work something out. If not, I will have to file an insurance claim. Not sure how this will work, I did not call the police to file a report at the scene. Hopefully, the guy is as agreeable as he seemed last night when he hit me.

Any advice on how to procede?

2015-07-24 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
keep in mind that most people buy bikes at walmart so when they offer to fix a bike they arent thinking big bucks. I would get a written estimate from the bike shop and present it to the guy and ask if he wants to cover it or go through insurance. Other than that get better and take it easy for a while.
2015-07-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Sorry to hear about you getting hit. The ribs will take a few weeks to heal up. Don't wrap the ribs.

People driving while on cell phones is my fear when I am out riding.

Hope it all works out for you and the bike.
2015-07-24 1:03 PM

Ten years ago I was turning left from 2 cars back also turning left. The intersection is a very strange one with lots of trees and such. Out of no where I was hit head on riding a MB. Picture my rear wheel at the cars left headlight and my front wheel at the right headlight...so kind of 90°. The car was screeching but it couldn't stop in time. I was flipped right over the car. I "walked" away with no broken bones and only big-time road rash and sore shoulder. My bike was in a ditch across the intersection about 25 yards away. The front fork was completely trashed. There's a YMCA right there and many people saw the accident. Talk about freaking out. One woman was crying as she hovered over me, others screaming for help, etc.. When I stood up people urged me to stay on the ground but my first response was to see if everything was in place and working! I was super lucky and the driver was cited for speeding through a yellow light. When I saw the car, it appeared my tire actually rode up the hood of the car somehow. Obviously just a blur but I still remember thinking "Oh Sh*t" just before impact. The very next week I was a passenger in a car stopped on the freeway going to a sporting event so it was backed up. A Lexus slammed into us and she totaled it and came out with a broken nose from the airbag exploding into her face. My friend saw it coming from his rearview mirror. His SUV was damaged but still driveable. We saw the second half of the game.
2015-07-24 3:34 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
One thing I don't hear in any of these posts is police involvement. These people broke the law and as a result caused major injury and property damage. My first call would be to police to have the person cited. I have a gopro on my bike every training ride and if I get so much as buzzed you better believe I'm following up. I got pushed off the road by a semi truck and got it on camera. The truck just happened to be carrying a trailer for a very large race company, so needless to say they were beside themselves when I showed them the video. Something like that gets on the web and you know how it goes. Imagine a very large branded race semi truck pushing a cyclist off the road...not good. I didn't have to do much but that driver will definitely be giving cyclists a wide berth if he finds another job that is.

Of course I live in an area of the country where, if a car is coming close to you, they are likely doing it on purpose unfortunately so if you don't fight back, or they think they can get away with it they will. I've also had a situation where I was riding and someone decided to blow a stop sign and pull right in my right of way, I was able to stop in time (barely) but he couldn't actually go on the road due to traffic. It was a guy in a pickup truck. So I told him to reverse it and pointed to the stop sign. He responded by spitting at me and saying "f**& you" so I said "this is a camera(pointing) you blew a stop sign and almost caused me to colide with you breaking 316.123, 316.130 and 316.2065 of the Florida State Uniform Driving code. So you can pull out and I'll get your plate on high definition camera, or you can back up to the stop sign...your call." He backed up. I wouldn't recommend that, but I get jacked up and can be a bit confrontational when I work out.
2015-07-24 9:05 PM

You really should have phoned the police and had them come out so that the accident could be evidenced, documented, and an incident report completed. While it seems like the guy was reasonable, you just don't know for sure. . . he may have multiple moving violations and/or driving under a suspended license. He could have given you bad information. For the sake of the insurance companies alone, this would have been the better approach. At a minimum, I would call the police non-emergency line and ask for their advice on what you should do. I believe you can go in and still have an incident report filed.

2015-07-24 11:34 PM
in reply to: #5130687

i was hit by someone how ran a stop sign. he too gave me a ride home with my destroyed bike. He insisted he would cove the bike - until he found out how much it cost. three years later, jack's insurance company still fighting having to pay up and the guy who hit me -- someone with a ton of money, has never stepped up on his promise. that said, I was once hit by somebody at a red light while in my car. His father stepped in and I feel still good about giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting him take care of it without running it through insurance. That guy did step up and he was super appreciative that I didn't assume the worst of him and his promise to cover it.
2015-07-24 11:47 PM

User image

Wow so happy you are not seriously injured. Very scary. Driver should pay for the bike nd medical expenses if he was at fault. Take care!
2015-07-24 11:47 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

One thing I don't hear in any of these posts is police involvement. These people broke the law and as a result caused major injury and property damage.

Police were called to mine, thankfully an off duty firefighter was right behind me and immediately took control of the situation, as I needed an ambulance, and when you call for an ambulance cause someone was hit by a car.... the cops will show up.

That being said, the driver got a ticket for failure to yield, despite them not seeing me at all, they had no idea I was even on the road til they heard a loud bang and stopped to see what happened. ( They never came up to me, but their information was taken, and everything went through their insurance )

While I am laying on a table in the hospital, multiple broken bones, the cop comes in and proceeds to give me for the accident, implying that the only reason I am not getting a ticket is that I probably already learned my lesson ( I broke absolutely no laws, did nothing wrong, I was proceeding straight, in a bike lane when an oncoming car turned and cut me off, I slammed on the breaks and tried to avoid the collision, but it was too late )

Thankfully I had my garmin running, documenting the exact time of the accident, as the driver was trying to say it was dark out, which it wasn't, and I had the timestamp to show the sun was not down :p
2015-07-25 5:01 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dfquigley

Originally posted by 3mar

One thing I don't hear in any of these posts is police involvement. These people broke the law and as a result caused major injury and property damage.

Police were called to mine, thankfully an off duty firefighter was right behind me and immediately took control of the situation, as I needed an ambulance, and when you call for an ambulance cause someone was hit by a car.... the cops will show up.

That being said, the driver got a ticket for failure to yield, despite them not seeing me at all, they had no idea I was even on the road til they heard a loud bang and stopped to see what happened. ( They never came up to me, but their information was taken, and everything went through their insurance )

While I am laying on a table in the hospital, multiple broken bones, the cop comes in and proceeds to give me for the accident, implying that the only reason I am not getting a ticket is that I probably already learned my lesson ( I broke absolutely no laws, did nothing wrong, I was proceeding straight, in a bike lane when an oncoming car turned and cut me off, I slammed on the breaks and tried to avoid the collision, but it was too late )

Thankfully I had my garmin running, documenting the exact time of the accident, as the driver was trying to say it was dark out, which it wasn't, and I had the timestamp to show the sun was not down :p

That is precisely why I have the camera and know all the applicable laws by heart. Most cops have a Cliff's Notes understanding of the law at best. They only have the authority to work within those laws as written so it's important to understand them and stand up for them.
2015-07-25 4:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Been hit three times. Once just knocked down. No biggie. Once knocked down and got a small fracture in my wrist trying to break the fall.

The there was the big one. Fractured my hip. Two surgeries, he second to do a full hip replacement. On crutches 8 months. Off all workouts for a year. The second surgery was 19 months ago. I have done two races post and have an Oly coming up in Sept. I'm not quite all the way back t the shape I was in when I got hit but for the most part, it's out of mind.

At least your guy stopped. I am 0 for 3. Just left in the middle of the street the last time. Fortunately two riders came by a few minutes later and called my wife. I told them to do that instead of an ambulance. She was 5 minutes away, an ambulance would have been 45. She took me to the hospital and they did emergency surgery a few hours later.

As for police, what would I tell them? A car came around on my right side and cut me off, hitting my front tire. No idea of make, model or color of the car, no description of the driver, nothing.

Just make sure you are ok and give yourself some time to heal.

Be well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit by a car Rss Feed