General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which bike should I buy without spending a fortune? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-23 11:59 PM

User image

Subject: Which bike should I buy without spending a fortune?
Hi guys! I'm totally new to this sport and did my first sprint with a mountain bike. I did not realize what a difference the bike would do and realize that I need to get a new bike. I'm not really interested in spending thousands on a bike but would like a decent bike that is comfortable, lightweight and of decent quality. Any recommendations?

2015-07-24 7:15 AM
in reply to: TriCDA

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Which bike should I buy without spending a fortune?
Keep an eye on the used market (craigslist, etc.) as that's where you'll get the most bang for your buck. Getting a fit analysis done first so you know what sizes will work best for you would be a good investment.

You don't absolutely need a new bike though - you could put slick tires on your MTB for now to get you the extra speed.
2015-07-24 7:42 AM

User image

, Massachusetts
I second the idea of looking for a used bike. You might also want to consider a road bike rather than a tri-specific bike at first, until you get a few more races under your belt and decide if it's something you're going to stick with. Used road bikes are easier to find and more versatile than tri bikes, and will still provide you with many of the benefits over a mountain bike. I raced my first couple seasons on a used Cannondale that cost me $400, and just purchased my first tri bike this winter.
2015-07-24 7:54 AM

User image

Exton, PA
question??

What is your budget? $500, $700, $1,000 ???

Is cycling something you think you'll stick with for years to come?

Road bike or tribike? (I usually suggest people start with a road bike)

You want to make sure you get something that fits well, if it fits you'll be comfortable and you'll enjoy riding.
most people spend another $200-$300 on bike stuff after they get the bike
tools, spare tubes, pump, CO2, gloves, helmet, shoes, pedals, hydration systems, drink bottles, bike computer,....

If your looking at a used bike be patient to wait for the right one.
you can get a good bike from bikesdirect on line but you need to know what fits first. It's more than just a size; a 52 bike from one company does not fit like a 52 from another.

If you take a used bike or online bike to a local shop to have them fit it to you they will charge you. If you buy a bike from a local shop a basic fit is usually included.

I would suggest going to at least 2 or 3 local shops and see what they suggest for you. Some shops deal with used or consignment inventory as well.

2015-07-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
buying used is always a great way to extend your dollars but it also heightens the risk of getting something that doesn't fit properly. Although its a bit more painful $ wise I would suggest buying a first bike through a bike shop that will work with you and your budget.
2015-07-24 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
Not to hijack, but I too am shopping for bikes.
Looking for a quality entry level road bike or maybe the OP is after a tri?, not looking for a Lexus, but would consider a baseline Toyota.
I could list my budget but don't want to hijack the thread.

Just after opinions and personal experiences of course. I understand that a single experience might not represent the brand or model but just looking for incentive to research and shop more.

Perhaps lower end models could share a price range with reasonable prices for used higher end, including costs for fixing up.

I recently talked to a bike shop and they thought my budget was about $200 too low to get into the game and it would require some dedication browsing used ads. I'm looking for triathlon, but the other one is to introduce someone to a little exercise and road riding so they don't require many gears or competitive aerodynamics. Just looking for some good names, models, with part availability for maintenance.

Edited by runtim23 2015-07-24 9:22 AM

2015-07-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: #5130693

Definitely go to Craigslist is the budget is around 2-300. I ride a Felt Z100 I picked up for 300, a friend rides a Nashbar equipped exactly like the Felt that was bought for 200, and another friend got a steal on a really nice Cannondale with 105's for 325. You may not be the envy of everyone but they are solid bikes.
2015-07-24 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
pinkbike.com is also a good resource - a little more enthusiast oriented than craigslist. My latest $400 road bike was found there.

Edited by DaveL 2015-07-24 11:49 AM
2015-07-24 3:28 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I usually approach things differently.  

What kind of riding do you like to do?  
What kind of riding do you expect to do?  

How many bikes are you willing to own to cover the range of answers above?  

Different bikes have different advantages/disadvantages and for some riders, the answer to the 3rd question is:  "One more than I already own."  

If I were going to own a single bike, it would be a fitness bike (lightweight frame, flat handlebars, triple crank, 25 or 28mm tire width)  A bike like this would be relatively efficient on the road but hold up to potholes, gravel, etc. and give me an upright riding position for city/crowded streets and the little bit of "off road" I might do.  You can get these at big-box stores for about $300.  Five years ago, entry level road bikes were $600-700 and you can easily add another $200-300 for pedals, shoes, helmet, computer, pump, repair kit, etc..  (Yea...you might want most of this stuff for the fitness bike too...)  One caution.  You'll give up some performance (speed) with this setup and it isn't one you can easily convert if you determine that extra performance is important to you down the road.  

As it is, I have three bikes.  My cheap and heavy mountain bike, my old tri-bike, and my road bike.  

Sizing on road bikes is important if you want to ride comfortably.  

Used is an option if you know what you're looking for and have basic mechanical skills to fix a lot of what might go wrong.  That $40 garage sale bike can run you $250 MORE if you have to pay someone to replace tires and tubes and give it a tune up (cables, brakes, wheel truing, inspection, lubrication)

It has also been my experience that most of the used bikes fall into one of 3 categories:  Classics (steel frame w/ downtube shifters), High-end (carbon fiber with Ultegra or Dura-Ace drivetrains) or newer-entry level selling for close to the price of new entry-level.  I've been happy with the two used bikes I purchased, but I do most of the work on them myself.  

2015-07-24 7:52 PM
in reply to: #5130693

User image

Very helpful, thank you!
2015-07-24 8:31 PM

I would only recommend buying used if you are knowledgeable about bikes and don't mind doing your own wrenching. If you are new to road bikes, I would go buy from a local bike shop and build a relationship with them. Their knowledge and expertise can be a great asset to you.

2015-07-24 9:05 PM
in reply to: #5130880

User image

I have only bought tri bikes used. I am too cheap to pay full retail. Brian at www.mybikeshop.com is great. I have referred a bunch of people to him and bought my Felt from him, as well as my race wheels. It would be worthwhile to go to a local shop and have them size you. But Brian is fair with his prices. Just tell him what you can work with and he will take of you. He will also take trade-ins, which is huge. I don't want to sell a bike too, so he makes it easy AND pays for all shipping. He is in Maryland, but ships all over the world. Good luck.
2015-07-24 10:38 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

Sarasota, Florida
Likewise. Thanks to all who contributed.
2015-07-26 1:41 PM

I agree with Mike761 not all bikes sizes fit the same, and you spend a lot on after bike stuff. The more costly after bike stuff that I purchased were clip less bike pedals, the shoes and the heavy duty lock.

I had never owned a bike before and my only biking experience in years was a rent-a-bike across the golden gate bridge. I knew nothing about bikes. The process that I went through to buy my used bike was as follows;

- I did some reading about different types of road bikes...(eg. men's vs women's, material like carbon....aluminium..., frame design, common problems, etc. ). I did this by reading online postings of the subject and by reading bike reviews. It was interesting to see what people were complaining about (generally and about specific bike models). This helped me form an opinion about what I wanted in a bike.

- I went to a local bike store to check out bikes and what prices were like. I would make note of the brand, model and the sizes. I also found my self checking out other people's bike while I was around town, which is now a permanent habit of mine.

- I read more bike reviews on the bikes that I had an eye on and came up with about three bikes I felt I would go for. From checking out bikes at the local shop and by looking at the manufacturer's recommended height I figured out what size I would need for each of my top bikes. I then used "BicycleBlueBook" to get a sense of how much the bike would cost in what condition. http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchbikes.aspx This site helps because it also factors in the year of the bike.

- I found one of my top bikes on craiglist, it was an older model, but I was ok with that. I then did a google search to see regardless of bike size and location what other people were selling the same bike for. With that information and the BicycleBlueBook price I came up with a price I thought was reasonable. Before I met the seller I check out a couple of videos on youtube that were helpful on how to buy a used bike.....how to check for damage and wear and tear.

Hope you find this information useful! Good Luck

Edited by Iron_Will 2015-07-26 1:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which bike should I buy without spending a fortune? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buying Shoes, what am I going to spend

Started by Jasonhomey
Views: 463 Posts: 2

2013-05-19 11:55 PM metafizx

Buying a bike without trying it first? Pages: 1 2

Started by Tiffanator
Views: 2273 Posts: 39

2010-10-27 8:51 AM KathyG

Good fortune -- borrowing a better bike for first tri

Started by Bruenor
Views: 1870 Posts: 14

2010-08-08 5:06 PM Bruenor

Bike drills without trainer/stationary bike

Started by heathervz
Views: 1078 Posts: 2

2008-03-12 12:18 PM JohnnyKay

Tips for working on bike without a bike stand

Started by mwATL
Views: 4327 Posts: 18

2006-05-25 6:43 PM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 25, 2014
author : jtriathlete
comments : 12
I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend my money? Should I buy a new bike or a powermeter and race wheels?

date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.