Subject: RE: Breaststrokes anyone?
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by bigevilgrape
Originally posted by gary p
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

IMO it might be the most technical stroke.  While what you see might look right there are more places to have flaws.  Putting all the pieces of reach, pull, recovery together with the kick are a little different then swimming free.  The kick has a recovery aspect to it that is different from free in that it's not a constant (probably wrong word to describe it) motion like the kick in free.  Same with the recovery in the arm stroke.  You mentioned your kids take lessons.  If they are on a swim team at their next meet pay attention to the kids who specialize in breaststroke and I think you will notice the difference. 

I wouldn't argue that breaststroke might be the most difficult to perfect. But some seem find that reaching a level of competence in breaststroke is easier than crawl.
I said it earlier, and I'll say it again. Some people just have a natural breast stroke. I've taught a lot of kids to swim, and every once in a while you get a kid who was just born to swim breast stroke and really struggle with an alternating stroke like front and back crawl.

Having taught a lot of kids to swim, I've seen *most* who gravitate towards (casual) breaststroke are the ones who didn't want to, or weren't taught to, put their face in the water.  It's a slight fear of the water.  It can be overcome, but some people carry this to adulthood and it takes more dedication to work through it.

I'm *not* saying this as an attack on the original poster, just pointing out a common theme with adult onset swimmers.  Compound that with sighting issues in outdoor swimming, and you can see why people find it hard to switch to freestyle.

I totally agree!
When I decided to train in breaststroke it was more like "don't get your hair wet", but I thought that maybe once I relax and just get more familiar with water, it would be easier, and eventually - easier to feel comfortable with front crawl. At some point my head spontaneously moved under water and I started exhaling through my nose - and that happened by itself - as if I did not have to control my nose anymore. (and that was probably my other problem with crawl) And eventually, it was smoother to transition to the "real" breaststroke".
I am planning to do the same tactic with front crawl - just take it easy, relax, and get "friendly" with water, and not swim "against" water.

There is a reason for the basic steps I wrote down in learning to swim.

Front crawl should be broken down a taught in pieces
bubbles
floating
kick
kick and breathing
arms
full stroke

Learning to blow bubbles in the water most adults want to skip, or plane refuse to do. However it puts an end to the thought about not getting your face or hair wet right away, because its the first thing you do. It gets use used to blowing air out anytime your face is in the water; it gets you used to putting your face in; and it gets rid of any notion that your not going to get your hair wet.

Yes - and I think the classes I took should have started with that. I truly appreciate your feedback. I think I should print these steps and make a cheat-sheet or checklist

My birthday wish for this year (my b-day is next month) is that at some point I come to this forum and say: "hey guys, I know how to swim front crawl and I love it

That would be awesome and now that you said it, I will eagerly await that thread!

2015-07-31 11:15 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks!!
I made my vow
have a great weekend everyone,
Mary
2015-07-31 3:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by marysia83 Can I ask your for an advice in open water: I will be swimming sprint distance in Lake Michigan (750 meters) in breaststroke. I really don't have an intention to hurt anyone, but at the same time I realize I will be still faster than some people - therefore, I don't want to stay in the back and simply wait until everyone is gone and I have enough space. I was thinking of starting with breaststroke arms with fly kicks until the group spreads out, and once we are not on top of each other, and there is more space, I would continue with breaststroke kicks. This will be my first time in open water, so I am not sure if that scenario makes sense - it works with running, so I assumed it sounds fair. I'm curious what you think. Thanks, Mary
Lake Michigan from what I hear is cold, so it will probably be wet suite legal- check past results or ask the RD. Do you have a wet suit? Sounds like you never did an open water swim before- its a lot different than a pool swim You will most likely start in waves- start in the back of your wave and to the outside. If our going to swim breastroke I suggest you swim the entire event on the out side away from most others. It might be slightly longer but not much, and will reduce the chances of you kicking some one. If it's a wave start and you don't swim to the outside there is a good chance of someone swimming over you.

This sounds like Chicago Tri. It's Lake Michigan water, but in a mostly protected harbor. Seawall/breakwater should keep at least most of the bigger waves down, but some might get through the boat access opening. Water temperature could be all over the place. Might warm some if there isn't as much exchange or it could turn over and be cold. Be ready for anything there.

Also, if it is Chicago Tri, there will seemingly be ~100,000 waves going off. You will overtake some people. You will be overtaken by people. Outside best you can is likely to be most appreciated by everyone. If I'm reading things right, it's mostly straight with a left at the end to get out.

Yes - it is Chicago Tri - have you done this one? I know, especially since it's my first time in open water, there will be faster and better swimmers than me. I have no problem with that. I just want to make sure I don't cause too much damage. Thanks for your advice - I will stay to the outside.

I'm in the Chicago area and have looked into it, but haven't done it. Too big and crowded for me. I may have actually raced more in Wisconsin than Illinois!

Keep going with the swim improvements, and track what you do. So go ahead and include anything you do in the water.

Hah. Look at the swim times from the later waves of the Olympic last year. Protected harbor my . I was struggling just not to get pounded into the wall on the last third of the course. I was in that water for what felt like forever, and I'm a decent swimmer. God knows what the first timers were thinking. If this is your first foray into open water swimming, the Chicago Tri is not the place to do it.
2015-08-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

Norfolk, Virginia
Just wanted to put my two cents in...I am a fellow noob. I didn't start swimming laps until January this year. I've only done 3 races (2 sprints and an Oly). I am a slow swimmer.

However, I HIGHLY recommend you can do freestyle for the entire distance of the race. It is a safety issue for both you and the other swimmers. You will also get smoked by just about anyone swimming freestyle, even slow people like me if you are swimming breast.

Just an opinion from someone else who hasn't been doing this very long. You WILL be able to learn freestyle, just keep putting the work in, with coaching as needed.

Edited by STVA 2015-08-01 11:35 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaststrokes anyone? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

freestyle vs breaststroke which is better?

Started by mikep
Views: 14283 Posts: 19

2007-03-22 9:43 PM oceanannie

Breaststroke?

Started by JKat
Views: 1845 Posts: 20

2005-08-02 10:39 PM us50090

Forced to use only the Breaststroke, anyone else??

Started by tom39
Views: 3024 Posts: 18

2005-04-05 10:08 AM us50090

swimming humor for us that prefer breaststroke

Started by auto208562
Views: 1734 Posts: 5

2012-08-01 2:49 PM E=H2O

Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle)

Started by steven
Views: 6433 Posts: 20

2004-02-23 6:16 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Do you do that same freestyle stroke over and over? Why triathletes can benefit from swimming other strokes besides freestyle.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.