General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaststrokes anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-07-24 10:59 PM

User image

Subject: Breaststrokes anyone?
Anyone who only swims with breaststrokes here? Thought's about this? It's all I can do and I'm wondering if I need to learn a few other strokes for longer distances.

2015-07-25 12:12 AM
in reply to: #5130902

User image

Subject: RE: Breaststrokes anyone?
Yes you should definitely learn front crawl. Since you were also asking before how you'd know when you were ready to do a 70.3, I'd say learning how to swim front crawl would be a first priority.
2015-07-25 12:54 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Thank you for your reply. I'm by no means a very fast swimmer but I'm doing ok for my age group (average 1 mile in 40 minutes) I'm not quite sure why doing breaststrokes is not recommended for longer distances. I would like to know so I understand more. I have never had a swim lesson in my life. It's not that I'm not willing to learn I would just like to understand why it's not recommended.
2015-07-25 5:55 AM
in reply to: TriCDA

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
There are a few reasons why front crawl is preferred for distance swimming:

1) it's the fastest stroke (done properly);

2) it's much easier than breast stroke (assuming both are done properly; and

3) flutter kick is much preferred by your fellow racers as you are much less likely to kick someone in the head and, if you do, the kick will be much less forceful.

That said, you can do whatever stroke you want - if you want to do breast, just wait until everyone else is clear and do your thing. If there are multiple waves or multiple laps, you are going to want to be very aware of when other swimmers overtake you so you can curtail your kick.

Shane
2015-07-25 7:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Shane - Curious, why do you think breaststroke is easier then freestyle ?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-07-25 7:26 AM
2015-07-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Shane - Curious, why do you think breaststroke is easier then freestyle ?

Front crawl is easier than breaststroke is what I meant - sorry for the confusion.

Shane

2015-07-25 7:41 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Goggles PizzanoShane - Curious, why do you think breaststroke is easier then freestyle ?
Front crawl is easier than breaststroke is what I meant - sorry for the confusion. Shane
I kind of equate front crawl with freestyle or is that not the case? Either way I always considered breaststroke the easiest but that may just be my opinion. Thinking about it after reading your post since most people default to it say in a tri I would think that supports it? Not arguing just curious on your reason why you think it's the easiest.
2015-07-25 7:52 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Goggles PizzanoShane - Curious, why do you think breaststroke is easier then freestyle ?
Front crawl is easier than breaststroke is what I meant - sorry for the confusion. Shane
I kind of equate front crawl with freestyle or is that not the case? Either way I always considered breaststroke the easiest but that may just be my opinion. Thinking about it after reading your post since most people default to it say in a tri I would think that supports it? Not arguing just curious on your reason why you think it's the easiest.

In freestyle, you can swim any stroke you want - front crawl is fastest so everyone does that.

As far as difficulty, my thoughts are that if you are racing breaststroke, it is quite challenging - IMO harder than front crawl - and also slower. If you are just cruising, I don't think there's much difference between between two in terms of difficulty although breast will be slower for someone who is decent at both.

Shane
2015-07-25 8:35 AM

User image

Front crawl is a stroke, freestyle is an event.

I'm not fast either, and my 1 mile is about 40 minutes in front crawl. (and please, no comments about my speed and my technique-- I'm working on it)

But that puts me well in the back of the pack for swimming, and I think I'm older than you TriCDA.

If you learn front crawl properly you'll be faster, but your now stronger breast stroke is likely from a strong whip kick- and that's definitely not something you want to be doing in triathlon event (for the reasons shane stated).

2015-07-25 12:09 PM

Master
, California

In freestyle, you can swim any stroke you want - front crawl is fastest so everyone does that. As far as difficulty, my thoughts are that if you are racing breaststroke, it is quite challenging - IMO harder than front crawl - and also slower. If you are just cruising, I don't think there's much difference between between two in terms of difficulty although breast will be slower for someone who is decent at both. Shane

Racing breaststroke is hard work, and it's not just slower -- it is the slowest of the 4 competitive swims.

But one more thing I'll add -- if you're wearing a wetsuit, breaststroke gets even worse.  The suit will float your legs and make it hard to keep the breaststroke kick underwater.

Once you have a comfortable breathing rhythm, freestyle will fall into place.  A couple coached sessions are the best place to start.

2015-07-25 12:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runsFront crawl is a stroke, freestyle is an event.
Freestyle in the swimming world is the generally accepted term for what you're referring to as front crawl. but that's up there with the arguement over what a lap in swimming is. But that's another topic. Im surprised how many people feel breaststroke is easier. But I think I'm looking at it another way. As in people will default to breaststroke to recover in a swim.

2015-07-25 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Yes please do learn another stroke. Try freestyle please.

People who breaststroke drive me nuts. I was kicked by a BSer on the way home a couple of races ago.
Hit me right where the hip meets my gut. It was unpleasent to say the least.
I've been kicked by BSers a few different times.

I've been punched a few times too, kicked by regular swimmers too.. But not as hard as a BSer

Plus, you'll go faster if you learn to freestyle.
2015-07-25 5:26 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

In freestyle, you can swim any stroke you want - front crawl is fastest so everyone does that. As far as difficulty, my thoughts are that if you are racing breaststroke, it is quite challenging - IMO harder than front crawl - and also slower. If you are just cruising, I don't think there's much difference between between two in terms of difficulty although breast will be slower for someone who is decent at both. Shane

Racing breaststroke is hard work, and it's not just slower -- it is the slowest of the 4 competitive swims.

But one more thing I'll add -- if you're wearing a wetsuit, breaststroke gets even worse.  The suit will float your legs and make it hard to keep the breaststroke kick underwater.

Once you have a comfortable breathing rhythm, freestyle will fall into place.  A couple coached sessions are the best place to start.

Agree with all of the above.  A properly executed breaststroke is more technically difficult than front crawl and putting a wetsuit in the mix just throws everything completely out of wack!

2015-07-25 5:41 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by spudone

Agree with all of the above.  A properly executed breaststroke is more technically difficult than front crawl and putting a wetsuit in the mix just throws everything completely out of wack!

I'm wondering if the OP meant the competition legal breaststroke you two are discussing or as the leisurely stroke some do when the just want to be in the water. Head always out of the water and such. If the latter, get more swim work in.

2015-07-25 10:39 PM

Someone already said it, but breaststroke in a wetsuit is an exercise in futility. It's slow, and it will burn up your legs. And in open water, you don't get any push off the wall. Maybe for a sprint. . . but 1900m of breakstroke. . . that's crazy talk. Even in practice, putting in the yardage to get proficient at it for that distance. . . you'll probably end up with a knee injury of some sort.

2015-07-26 7:33 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
About 1-3x per year, I do tri's instead of my duathlons (usually due to my wife racing in a nice location, so I'll race as well and they're not offering a Du)… I'm one of the worst swimmers ever and breaststroke is all I do. Usually one of the last in my AG out of the water, but I can bike and run quite well, so top 10 is still not out of the question. You'll never win a race in the swim, but you can most definitely lose it.

2015-07-26 8:59 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I pretty much agree with everyone. Get some lessons if you can afford them. I was a middle of the pack swimmer before I got lessons, and now after lessons I think its the best money I've spent on triathlons to date. I got faster and moved to FOP (still behind those crazy college and high school swimmers though), but most importantly I got way more efficient! I expend so much less energy on the swim now and I go faster - its amazing.

I do see the benefit of resting and doing breaststroke. It is especially helpful for sighting when you are just learning. I did it quite a few times in my first tri, but now I have no need for it.
2015-07-26 12:55 PM

User image

So I spoke to a swim coach who teach mainly breaststrokes. He said that it would be an enormous time commitment to learn a new stroke and it would not guarantee an improvement in swim time. However I'll give it a try..
2015-07-26 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by TriCDA

So I spoke to a swim coach who teach mainly breaststrokes. He said that it would be an enormous time commitment to learn a new stroke and it would not guarantee an improvement in swim time. However I'll give it a try..

When you're used to using a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Definitely worth the effort to learn front crawl.

Shane
2015-07-26 2:12 PM

User image

Champion

When you're used to using a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Definitely worth the effort to learn front crawl.

Shane
2015-07-26 3:56 PM

Hmm, that comment makes me seriously question the qualifications of your swim coach.

2015-07-26 4:48 PM

Deleted - possibly dumb question!

Edited by spiderplant4 2015-07-26 4:51 PM
2015-07-26 6:05 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

it was my kids swim coach, not mine.
2015-07-26 8:10 PM

User image

it was my kids swim coach, not mine.

You should talk to a swim coach who coaches triathletes. I'm sure a good one will tell you that if you are proficient at breast stroke you will be able to learn front crawl properly pretty easily. You're actually in a good place to learn from scratch in that you don't have any bad habits that you need to break.

My coach runs classes from beginners up to people training for ironman or other long-distances swims, but specializes in triathlon swim coaching.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-07-26 8:11 PM
2015-07-26 10:53 PM

User image

Cool, there is a lady like that at the yMCA so I certainly will. Thanks for advices to all of you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaststrokes anyone? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

freestyle vs breaststroke which is better?

Started by mikep
Views: 14297 Posts: 19

2007-03-22 9:43 PM oceanannie

Breaststroke?

Started by JKat
Views: 1846 Posts: 20

2005-08-02 10:39 PM us50090

Forced to use only the Breaststroke, anyone else??

Started by tom39
Views: 3030 Posts: 18

2005-04-05 10:08 AM us50090

swimming humor for us that prefer breaststroke

Started by auto208562
Views: 1735 Posts: 5

2012-08-01 2:49 PM E=H2O

Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle)

Started by steven
Views: 6443 Posts: 20

2004-02-23 6:16 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Do you do that same freestyle stroke over and over? Why triathletes can benefit from swimming other strokes besides freestyle.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.