General Discussion Race Reports! » TriWaco Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriWaco Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waco, Texas
United States
Tri-Now
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 14s
Overall Rank = 148/327
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/30
Pre-race routine:

Shopped for breakfast the night before and ate in the hotel at 4am. Not much because it was going to be a long wait until my 7:30 wave start. I had some food with me at 7:00 pre race meeting but my stomach was upset and couldn't force it down.
The race director announced the big points opportunity for nations at this race and that we had some fast guys here today. Great! LOL
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Stretched out shoulders a little and didn't overdo it.
Swim
  • 37m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was discouraged at first until I looked at all that happened. First, I'll never wear that tri top again w/o a wetsuit or skin suit over it. That damn thing felt like a lead vest about half way into the swim. Second, it was a river swim which means half was into the current. The water was very choppy and afterwards my wife said the boats and jetskis went up and down the river watching us as we swam = waves.
What would you do differently?:

Wear my one piece suit, no jersey, or no shirt at all.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

There was a long run up switchbacks to get to street level from the river. That ate up some time. I put on my socks to make for a short T2. Otherwards it was a good T1.

Wait to put on socks in T2. My socks were supersaturated by the end of the run.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 50s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I drank 48 oz of water, GU gel every 30 min, and (2) Hammer electrolyte tabs every 30 min.

Not much I can do. Cycling is my weak link. I'm just not very fast while maintaining a manageable HR.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

This went good, racked my bike by the bars. My socks were saturated and later wished I had changed them out or waited to T2 to put them on. Don't need them on the bike.
Run
  • 59m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked at every station and drank water and took (2) electrolyte tabs. I held a 9:00 m/m pace easy and looked forward to increasing for a negative split (HR Zone 3.2 - 3.5) until I hit the unexpected hills. Wow! I kept a slow jog going up all of them which was far better than most around me. The last couple of miles were just hot! I held a 9:20 pace or so at about 4.0 HR Zone. I could have pushed it some more but knew I couldn't make up any real ground at that point.

At one time there was no one in front of me and no one behind me. I almost stopped and ran back to the last aid station. Decided to push through and came across a couple with a little girl cheering me on. We all had a laugh at that.

Learn the course, run some hills in training.

I didn't have enough gels for the run and didn't think it would be an issue. It probably wasn't but eating a couple of more during the run sure couldn't have hurt.
Post race
Warm down:

The heat was draining. I ate, drank, and rested. My wife was hot from being there for six hours and ready for a break. We went to the hotel, showered, and had a nap. Afterwards was a damn good mexican food and margaritas!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This wasn't an A race for me at all. After coming off IM Buffalo Springs I was a little burned out and really just maintained.
As I suspected I had some hamstring overuse going on. After taking extra time to rest during my taper I had NO hamstring issues during the race.

Event comments:

My first time at this venue. Darn good race in Waco!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:31 | 1640 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/30
Overall: 138/327
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: River swim starting off with the current and making a big rectangle under three bridges.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:50 | 25 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/30
Overall: 215/327
Performance: Average
I stayed right at HR Zone 2.8 - 3.3 on the bike. This fit my plan perfect.
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat with little wind. I would say 60% or so was chipseal and rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:03 | 06.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/30
Overall: 112/327
My HR monitor crapped out about 2.5 miles into the run and didn't come back until the last 1.5 miles. The cheap batteries I bought!!
Course: First two miles was partly shady and flat. Second two miles were freaking hills I didn't expect. The last couple of miles were flat again but in full sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-27 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: TriWaco Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriWaco Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriWaco Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by brazee
Views: 880 Posts: 1

2015-07-27 2:03 PM brazee

Started by brazee
Views: 840 Posts: 1

2014-07-29 12:14 PM brazee

Started by Ironjoe
Views: 868 Posts: 1

2014-07-27 3:49 PM Ironjoe

Started by Pyle driver
Views: 882 Posts: 1

2014-04-10 10:52 AM Pyle driver

TriWaco Olympic Triathlon

Started by annekangster
Views: 992 Posts: 1

2011-07-24 2:26 PM annekangster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.