in reply to: Justin86

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Discrimination in Boy Scouts
Originally posted by Justin86

Originally posted by jmcconne
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by jmcconne My kids are in Cub Scouts, and this will be my third year being a den leader. I think I should have the right to be a part of a private organization that can decide who the leaders that are involved with my boys are based on whatever merit I see fit. I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

So- if you claim that you don't have a problem if there is a gay leader... exactly what types of people do you feel like you should be able to discriminate against?  Blacks?  Jews?  Muslims?  Atheists?  women?  Divorcees?  Native Americans?  Mexicans?  Shiites?  Just curious- what exactly are you thinking?

I should definitely be able to discriminate who the leaders of my children are in a private organization based on their beliefs. If I want to join a Christian organization I should definitely be able to say Muslims aren't able to be leaders. Just because the BSA doesn't have a specific organized religion attached to it, does not mean they cannot have beliefs. The same way I should be able to discriminate against a science tutor if he believes in a 6,000 year old earth.

Your talking about two things here (1) beliefs - which can be changed and are optional and (2) how someone is born.

I don't care if you think being gay is a choice, because if you do, I will be blunt and tell you that you are wrong, it isn't.     

Being Christan, Muslim, Jewish, atheist - those are all choices.

Based on your logic we should be able to discriminate against people for the color of their skin.  Or heck why stop there?  People with disabilities, or who were born in a different country.  It's reprehensible.

I'll go back to my earlier question which you didn't answer: You're personally tolerant of gays. Why do you think it's ok for the BSA to discriminate against them? That seems hypocritical to me. I can sort of understand why one wouldn't want a Muslim teaching students in a Christian school (although there's no reason why a person of one faith couldn't be a scholar on the subject of another), but what does one's sexual orientation have to do with one's ability to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, or reverent, or the ability to teach others to be so?

2015-07-31 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't care if you think being gay is a choice, because if you do, I will be blunt and tell you that you are wrong, it isn't.   

I believe acting on gay feelings is an option. Just like having hetero sex outside of marriage is a choice. I have friends who do both. Doesn't mean I can't be friends with them, but it also doesn't mean I want them to be examples of what is moral and right to my children.
2015-07-31 11:17 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Justin86 I don't care if you think being gay is a choice, because if you do, I will be blunt and tell you that you are wrong, it isn't.   
I believe acting on gay feelings is an option. Just like having hetero sex outside of marriage is a choice. I have friends who do both. Doesn't mean I can't be friends with them, but it also doesn't mean I want them to be examples of what is moral and right to my children.

So you believe that acting on heterosexual feelings is a choice then?  I can guarantee you that it is not choice.  You can believe that 3+7=15 as much as you want, but it is not true.

I'll give you this scenario here.  Remember there is always a child listening and watching what you do.  What do you think it does to a kids psyche when you tell them that someone cant do something because of who they are?  That they are a not permitted to do that?  You don't agree with their moral convictions? (so you don't believe in committed loving relationships then?  Because that's what I am in).  Honestly do you think that is good for the child who is confused and doesn't know what to do?  I remember many times coming home and crying alone feeling worthless and depressed and feeling suicidal myself.  Mostly because of actions of adults that were so hurtful. 

Think about that for a moment. 

It's actions like this why the suicide rate for LGBT+ community, especially youth are alarmingly high. 

2015-07-31 11:25 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I'll go back to my earlier question which you didn't answer: You're personally tolerant of gays. Why do you think it's ok for the BSA to discriminate against them? That seems hypocritical to me.

I'm "tolerant" of many things, but I don't see not allowing a gay man to be a BSA leader as having such a negative impact on that person to out weigh the benefits of being in the organization to my children. In my years of being involved in the organization no one has once brought up being gay or straight. We're not teaching the children there are evil gay people lurking around or that we should stomp out such behavior.
2015-07-31 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So you believe that acting on heterosexual feelings is a choice then?  I can guarantee you that it is not choice. 

I believe this is called having sex, and yes I believe that having sex (obviously only when consensual) is a choice.
2015-07-31 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Justin86 I don't care if you think being gay is a choice, because if you do, I will be blunt and tell you that you are wrong, it isn't.   

So you believe that acting on heterosexual feelings is a choice then?  I can guarantee you that it is not choice.  You can believe that 3+7=15 as much as you want, but it is not true.

I'll give you this scenario here.  Remember there is always a child listening and watching what you do.  What do you think it does to a kids psyche when you tell them that someone cant do something because of who they are?  That they are a not permitted to do that?  You don't agree with their moral convictions? (so you don't believe in committed loving relationships then?  Because that's what I am in).  Honestly do you think that is good for the child who is confused and doesn't know what to do?  I remember many times coming home and crying alone feeling worthless and depressed and feeling suicidal myself.  Mostly because of actions of adults that were so hurtful. 

It's actions like this why the suicide rate for LGBT+ community, especially youth are alarmingly high. 

I'm terribly sorry for what you went through. I can't imagine how difficult that was. I still believe though that private organizations should be able to choose the people they involve themselves with. I believe it is very similar to defending free speech in that it requires you to defend someone saying something you don't believe in.

2015-07-31 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I'm terribly sorry for what you went through. I can't imagine how difficult that was. I still believe though that private organizations should be able to choose the people they involve themselves with. I believe it is very similar to defending free speech in that it requires you to defend someone saying something you don't believe in.

I am not asking nor do I want any sympathy.  It is a part of my life that now makes me stronger.  It doesn't mean that it doesn't matter for the kids going thru it right now. 

So I should be able to start an organization that wont allow black people to join?  Because I don't believe in them?  (I know this sounds absurd, that's because it is).

2015-07-31 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Hook'em

BSA decided to lift its ban on gay leaders, even though they had the right to keep the ban.  Regardless of the reasons for the decision (public pressure, change of heart, etc.), they were not legally forced into the decision.  Contrary to what some may think, freedom of association is still a constitutionally protected right.

Great post LB.

I disagree. I think the many law suits that the BSA lost might as well be a law because it was a group of decisions from the government that forced a private organization to make a change.

Did I miss something? What lawsuits did BSA lose? 

I've been on travel and busy with work, so haven't had a chance to find links to specific lawsuits and verify the info. You can Google ACLU and Boy Scouts. If I get time this weekend I'll post some of them.

Your google skills must be better than mine, because I come up pretty empty. The courts, including SCOTUS, have been pretty good to the BSA over the years (with the exception of the molestation lawsuits). About the best the ACLU has been able to manage is to get some goverment offices to quit giving BSA free usage of public lands

2015-07-31 4:05 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hook'em

BSA decided to lift its ban on gay leaders, even though they had the right to keep the ban.  Regardless of the reasons for the decision (public pressure, change of heart, etc.), they were not legally forced into the decision.  Contrary to what some may think, freedom of association is still a constitutionally protected right.

Great post LB.

I disagree. I think the many law suits that the BSA lost might as well be a law because it was a group of decisions from the government that forced a private organization to make a change.

Did I miss something? What lawsuits did BSA lose? 

I've been on travel and busy with work, so haven't had a chance to find links to specific lawsuits and verify the info. You can Google ACLU and Boy Scouts. If I get time this weekend I'll post some of them.

Your google skills must be better than mine, because I come up pretty empty. The courts, including SCOTUS, have been pretty good to the BSA over the years (with the exception of the molestation lawsuits). About the best the ACLU has been able to manage is to get some goverment offices to quit giving BSA free usage of public lands

You may be right. The lawsuits that were referred to in the reasons may have just been due to court costs of defending all of them. So instead of courts it was really more of the loud group of opponents who believe they should not have their morals forced on them, but they can force theirs on you because they are right.
2015-07-31 10:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I should definitely be able to discriminate who the leaders of my children are in a private organization based on their beliefs. If I want to join a Christian organization I should definitely be able to say Muslims aren't able to be leaders. Just because the BSA doesn't have a specific organized religion attached to it, does not mean they cannot have beliefs.

The same way I should be able to discriminate against a science tutor if he believes in a 6,000 year old earth.

This is a completely invalid analogy.

You can decide that someone is not qualified to teach science if he doesn't believe in the laws of science.

But you can't decide that someone is not qualified to interact with children if his sexual orientation is gay vs. straight. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with his qualifications for interacting with children.

Pedophiles should not be allowed to interact with children. Homosexuality does not equate with pedophilia.

It's also important for young boys have a role model who is NOT the typical "macho" stereotype. Believe it or not, some of those boy scouts are gay and it has nothing to do with who is the leader of their troupe.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-07-31 10:40 PM
2015-08-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I should definitely be able to discriminate who the leaders of my children are in a private organization based on their beliefs. If I want to join a Christian organization I should definitely be able to say Muslims aren't able to be leaders. Just because the BSA doesn't have a specific organized religion attached to it, does not mean they cannot have beliefs.

The same way I should be able to discriminate against a science tutor if he believes in a 6,000 year old earth.

You can decide that someone is not qualified to teach science if he doesn't believe in the laws of science.

But you can't decide that someone is not qualified to interact with children if his sexual orientation is gay vs. straight. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with his qualifications for interacting with children.

A parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. I'm not really sure what to think about a parent who doesn't. Obviously parents will decide differently what identifies as qualified, but they should spend time discussing it with their spouse or other guardian (if there is one).

2015-08-03 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I should definitely be able to discriminate who the leaders of my children are in a private organization based on their beliefs. If I want to join a Christian organization I should definitely be able to say Muslims aren't able to be leaders. Just because the BSA doesn't have a specific organized religion attached to it, does not mean they cannot have beliefs. The same way I should be able to discriminate against a science tutor if he believes in a 6,000 year old earth.
This is a completely invalid analogy. You can decide that someone is not qualified to teach science if he doesn't believe in the laws of science. But you can't decide that someone is not qualified to interact with children if his sexual orientation is gay vs. straight. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with his qualifications for interacting with children.
A parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. I'm not really sure what to think about a parent who doesn't. Obviously parents will decide differently what identifies as qualified, but they should spend time discussing it with their spouse or other guardian (if there is one).

So then don't join the boy scouts.

2015-08-03 12:38 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

This is a completely invalid analogy. You can decide that someone is not qualified to teach science if he doesn't believe in the laws of science. But you can't decide that someone is not qualified to interact with children if his sexual orientation is gay vs. straight. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with his qualifications for interacting with children.

Just out of curiosity, why do you personally feel that a gay person is unqualified to interact with children? What are you worried about?

2015-08-03 3:42 PM

User image

Pro

A parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. I'm not really sure what to think about a parent who doesn't.

Really?  I don't know what to think of a parent who decides who can interact with their children based on sexual orientation.

"Wow, that teacher (coach, scout leader, neighbor, uncle, aunt, blah, blah, blah) is excellent!!  I guess we better check to see if he/she is gay".......is that the way that goes?  I guess it's really the only way it could go, right?   How weird.

2015-08-03 5:36 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by trijamie

Just out of curiosity, why do you personally feel that a gay person is unqualified to interact with children? What are you worried about?

I never wrote that. This whole thread has really just gone to crap. I should have expected that.

I believe a parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. They should monitor their friends, the media, video games, their leaders, and other influences. It is every parent's job to teach their children to be moral adults. Everyone on this board would agree that different people have different morals, so it just makes sense that parents would want to be able to decide who is going to be involved in teaching their children what is moral and what is not.
2015-08-03 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

so again, what the heck does that have to do with sexual orientation?

2015-08-03 7:08 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dmiller5

If you believe a behavior is immoral, you wouldn't want someone who participates in that behavior as a leader in an organization that teaches your children morals. This could be sexual, drinking, dress, whatever you personally believe.
2015-08-03 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dmiller5

If you believe a behavior is immoral, you wouldn't want someone who participates in that behavior as a leader in an organization that teaches your children morals. This could be sexual, drinking, dress, whatever you personally believe.

So don't enroll your kids in boy scouts.  Someone doing something that you don't like isn't a reason to ban everyone like them from the organization. or at least its a crappy reason.

especially when you "moral belief" is a load of crap.  Get over it, the country has finally accepted it.  If you want to teach your kids that we should discriminate against people for being loving, you have your priorities all kinds of screwed up.  Look at the world around you.  People murder, and rape, and do terrible things.  What you have a problem with is love? I'm glad my generation hasn't decided to order their priorities this way.

2015-08-03 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

If a parent doesn't want his kid to be exposed to gays or blacks or Muslims, it's up to the parent to decide what activities to exclude their kid from. No one should be discriminated against because some narrow-minded parents don't feel like explaining to their kids that some people are different from them.
2015-08-03 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I never wrote that. This whole thread has really just gone to crap. I should have expected that. I believe a parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. They should monitor their friends, the media, video games, their leaders, and other influences. It is every parent's job to teach their children to be moral adults. Everyone on this board would agree that different people have different morals, so it just makes sense that parents would want to be able to decide who is going to be involved in teaching their children what is moral and what is not.

You won't say what you are eluding to.  That homosexuality is a choice which it is not.  It does not matter what you believe.  What you are discriminating against is no different then what was done to black people (and many others).  I agree that different people have different morals, but my morals don't include discrimination.  Lucky for people like me, the majority of the country is on the right side of this debate. 

2015-08-03 10:45 PM

User image

Pro

I never wrote that. This whole thread has really just gone to crap. I should have expected that. I believe a parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. They should monitor their friends, the media, video games, their leaders, and other influences. It is every parent's job to teach their children to be moral adults. Everyone on this board would agree that different people have different morals, so it just makes sense that parents would want to be able to decide who is going to be involved in teaching their children what is moral and what is not.

You won't say what you are eluding to.  That homosexuality is a choice which it is not.  It does not matter what you believe.  What you are discriminating against is no different then what was done to black people (and many others).  I agree that different people have different morals, but my morals don't include discrimination.  Lucky for people like me, the majority of the country is on the right side of this debate. 

No, it's "lucky" for al of us, Justin, gay and straight. It makes for a more polite society.

To the OP - as a parent of 5 kids, all older than yours, I'd be careful which "morals" you pass on to your kids.  Growing up believing (after being taught) that being gay is a choice will make them look rather stupid to the rest of the thinking world, when they express those ideas as adults, down the road.. 

The other thing you might want to consider is that people will respect you more if you just come out and say what you mean and not hide behind a moral agenda that doesn't hold up in any sense of the definition.  I know that, as a parent, I don't think people who do that are qualified to be around my children.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-03 10:47 PM

2015-08-04 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You won't say what you are eluding to.  That homosexuality is a choice which it is not.  It does not matter what you believe. 

I don't believe having an attraction to the same sex is a choice. I know people who are gay that would not choose it. But it is a choice to have sex and be in an intimate relationship with a person of the same sex. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to not have sex, but non-married Christians are in the same boat. Every one sins, so I think picking this one out is an odd fascination of many people. My only issue with any of this is the idea that it is not OK for some people to disagree. That the current mob has the only possible answer, and everyone else is a terrible person.
2015-08-04 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

so you will ban scout leaders who have premarital sex.  how will you find out? how is it any of your business?

2015-08-04 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

You won't say what you are eluding to.  That homosexuality is a choice which it is not.  It does not matter what you believe. 

I don't believe having an attraction to the same sex is a choice. I know people who are gay that would not choose it. But it is a choice to have sex and be in an intimate relationship with a person of the same sex. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to not have sex, but non-married Christians are in the same boat. Every one sins, so I think picking this one out is an odd fascination of many people. My only issue with any of this is the idea that it is not OK for some people to disagree. That the current mob has the only possible answer, and everyone else is a terrible person.

I don't think you're a terrible person, so please save the victimhood act. What's objectionable (to me) is that you went out of your way to tell everyone that you have friends and relatives who are gay but that you apparently don't feel any responsibility to stand up against an organization that openly discriminates against them. I could never look my gay friends or relatives in the face if I supported an organization that says they deserve to be treated differently than me.

If you didn't want to hear opinions different from your own, then why post here? I'm sure there are lots of anti-gay websites who would happily pat you on the back for your views. Did you think views like yours represent the majority? They don't. You're on the wrong side of history and in another generation, were going to look back at the time when it was ok to discriminate against gay people and we'll wonder what the hell we were thinking.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-08-04 10:18 AM
2015-08-04 10:56 AM

User image

Buttercup

Of course you get to decide/discriminate who your children will have as role models. You have the choice not to have them in Boy Scouts or any organization that does not comport with your beliefs. Nobody is forcing you to enroll your children in these organizations.

If you want to join a religious organization, you get to SAY who the leaders should or should not be. However, you don't get to DECIDE for that organization, not unless and until you hold the majority power within that organization.

The BSA has the Constitutionally protected right and the power to make those decisions for themselves. You don't get to decide for the BSA any more than homosexuals got to decide for the BSA.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Renee 2015-08-04 10:58 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Discrimination in Boy Scouts Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Obamacare Pajama Boy Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by mcgilmartin
Views: 6890 Posts: 118

2013-12-24 3:16 PM NXS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!