Other Resources The Political Joe » Discrimination in Boy Scouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-08-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Discrimination in Boy Scouts
The funny thing is that I'm not even anti-gay. I just believe people should be able to choose the people they associate with. The current BSA board didn't make this decision because they've their changed minds, but rather because the current mob mentality wouldn't allow them to continue. This current climate forced a group that is trying to do good things for boys to make decisions based on politics. I think that is sad.

2015-08-04 11:40 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmcconne The funny thing is that I'm not even anti-gay. I just believe people should be able to choose the people they associate with. The current BSA board didn't make this decision because they've their changed minds, but rather because the current mob mentality wouldn't allow them to continue. This current climate forced a group that is trying to do good things for boys to make decisions based on politics. I think that is sad.

I've got news for you......it won't make a single bit of difference to the boys.

2015-08-04 12:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jmcconne The funny thing is that I'm not even anti-gay. I just believe people should be able to choose the people they associate with. The current BSA board didn't make this decision because they've their changed minds, but rather because the current mob mentality wouldn't allow them to continue. This current climate forced a group that is trying to do good things for boys to make decisions based on politics. I think that is sad.

I've got news for you......it won't make a single bit of difference to the boys.

That is definitely not true. There is a good chance there will be a large group that leaves the BSA. There are also a large number of boys that won't get involved because of all of the bad press.
2015-08-04 1:14 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmcconne

That is definitely not true. There is a good chance there will be a large group that leaves the BSA. There are also a large number of boys that won't get involved because of all of the bad press.

Oh, no doubt that parents will pull their boys out of scouts because of it......but the boys who stay will not notice a single difference.

I've got news for you......if you think THIS is a mob, wait until your kids tell you that they don't care at all who is gay and who isn't.....they figure out pretty quick it's a stupid thing to worry about.

If I had money to bet on this, I'd say that the BSA will move right on down the road as an organization.........this won't be near the issue you think it will......notice how it never is, despite the wringing of hands of a few folks stuck in the past.  Notice how the legalization of gay marriage has changed all of our lives?  LOL

2015-08-04 5:07 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Originally posted by Justin86

Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by jmcconne My kids are in Cub Scouts, and this will be my third year being a den leader. I think I should have the right to be a part of a private organization that can decide who the leaders that are involved with my boys are based on whatever merit I see fit. I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

So- if you claim that you don't have a problem if there is a gay leader... exactly what types of people do you feel like you should be able to discriminate against?  Blacks?  Jews?  Muslims?  Atheists?  women?  Divorcees?  Native Americans?  Mexicans?  Shiites?  Just curious- what exactly are you thinking?  Because we settled this 50 years ago in this country, and your view lost the argument.  We're now just fiddling with the details.

If it makes you feel any better (and it shouldn't) even tho' gay marriage is now legal in all 50 states, you can still fire (or not hire) someone for being gay in over 30 states, without legal retribution.  Yes.  in most states- gay people are not a protected class.  You can get same-sex-married on Sunday, and have your boss fire you because of it on Monday.  And you can't do squat.

I suggest you give up on your prior stance, and join the majority who believe in acceptance and inclusion.

If someone's sexual orientation is towards young boys should the BSA be allowed to discriminate? Or was that decided 50 years ago as well?

You are comparing pedophilia to homosexuality?  That is just insulting. 

You know what then?  I don't think they should allow Catholic priests anywhere near boy scouts.  If you want to play that game I will go there too.

No, I am not saying someone whose gay is sexual attractive to young children. In fact I don't know any gay people who are. There are many people who identify with many different sexual orientations. However, the comment was made that we are past the point of discrimination based on sexual orientation. Obviously, that is subjective in your opinion..

So what is it do you have against someone whose sexual orientation is towards young children service as scout leaders? You've made the assumption that they would act on their desires.....which is you stereotyping and discriminating.

If any scout leader was inappropriate sexually, whether they be straight, gay, pedophile, or whatever, then I am sure that would disqualify that individual from being a scout leader. So the termination that individual would not be based on sexual orientation but improper conduct.

But overlooking your stereotypes an the irony of your discrimination of Catholic, if someone came out and said they prefer young boys, hence they identified their sexual orientation, yet never acted on it and never committed a sex crime, and was a model citizen in every sense of the word, can the boy scouts discriminate against them because of they sexual orientation?

2015-08-04 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by jmcconne My kids are in Cub Scouts, and this will be my third year being a den leader. I think I should have the right to be a part of a private organization that can decide who the leaders that are involved with my boys are based on whatever merit I see fit. I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

So- if you claim that you don't have a problem if there is a gay leader... exactly what types of people do you feel like you should be able to discriminate against?  Blacks?  Jews?  Muslims?  Atheists?  women?  Divorcees?  Native Americans?  Mexicans?  Shiites?  Just curious- what exactly are you thinking?  Because we settled this 50 years ago in this country, and your view lost the argument.  We're now just fiddling with the details.

If it makes you feel any better (and it shouldn't) even tho' gay marriage is now legal in all 50 states, you can still fire (or not hire) someone for being gay in over 30 states, without legal retribution.  Yes.  in most states- gay people are not a protected class.  You can get same-sex-married on Sunday, and have your boss fire you because of it on Monday.  And you can't do squat.

I suggest you give up on your prior stance, and join the majority who believe in acceptance and inclusion.

If someone's sexual orientation is towards young boys should the BSA be allowed to discriminate? Or was that decided 50 years ago as well?

You are comparing pedophilia to homosexuality?  That is just insulting. 

You know what then?  I don't think they should allow Catholic priests anywhere near boy scouts.  If you want to play that game I will go there too.

No, I am not saying someone whose gay is sexual attractive to young children. In fact I don't know any gay people who are. There are many people who identify with many different sexual orientations. However, the comment was made that we are past the point of discrimination based on sexual orientation. Obviously, that is subjective in your opinion.. So what is it do you have against someone whose sexual orientation is towards young children service as scout leaders? You've made the assumption that they would act on their desires.....which is you stereotyping and discriminating. If any scout leader was inappropriate sexually, whether they be straight, gay, pedophile, or whatever, then I am sure that would disqualify that individual from being a scout leader. So the termination that individual would not be based on sexual orientation but improper conduct. But overlooking your stereotypes an the irony of your discrimination of Catholic, if someone came out and said they prefer young boys, hence they identified their sexual orientation, yet never acted on it and never committed a sex crime, and was a model citizen in every sense of the word, can the boy scouts discriminate against them because of they sexual orientation?

How about we try to stay within the realm of reality.......that comment is absurd.   Pedophilia is illegal.  You are talking about someone who's sexual preference is illegal.  Yes, in your example they never acted on it......but there is no way to prove that once they say what their preference is. 

It's comments like this that make the discussion turn to stupid.  Hell, what if they were predisposed to chop up babies into little pieces but never acted on it....or maybe if they enjoyed shooting people in a movie theater but never acted on it.......or maybe if their deep desire was to put an entire scout troop in a bus and drive it off a cliff......but they've never acted on it, but each admitted they wanted to.  That's just as dumb as your comment.  Really, Jackemy, you're capable of a better argument then that stinker.....hopefully.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-04 6:33 PM

2015-08-05 2:02 PM

User image

Actually it might. It might make a positive difference.

I can guarantee you that some of the boys in BSA are gay. Some may be uncertain or ashamed of their sexuality. But if they are in a troupe where they have a good leader who openly gay, they will experience an atmosphere of acceptance and inclusiveness.

Alternatively, I feel bad for the boys who had to lose their troupe leaders when it was found out they were openly gay. What kind of message does that send to kids, including kids who are closeted gay?

The BSA "changed their minds" because their policy was discriminatory and against the law. Jmmconne- I don't believe you are not anti-gay, because an inclusive person would see that your position is discriminatory and destructive.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-08-05 2:03 PM
2015-08-05 2:54 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Actually it might. It might make a positive difference. I can guarantee you that some of the boys in BSA are gay. Some may be uncertain or ashamed of their sexuality. But if they are in a troupe where they have a good leader who openly gay, they will experience an atmosphere of acceptance and inclusiveness. Alternatively, I feel bad for the boys who had to lose their troupe leaders when it was found out they were openly gay. What kind of message does that send to kids, including kids who are closeted gay? The BSA "changed their minds" because their policy was discriminatory and against the law. Jmmconne- I don't believe you are not anti-gay, because an inclusive person would see that your position is discriminatory and destructive.

Yeah, that's right.  Thanks.

2015-08-05 9:41 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Actually it might. It might make a positive difference. I can guarantee you that some of the boys in BSA are gay. Some may be uncertain or ashamed of their sexuality. But if they are in a troupe where they have a good leader who openly gay, they will experience an atmosphere of acceptance and inclusiveness. Alternatively, I feel bad for the boys who had to lose their troupe leaders when it was found out they were openly gay. What kind of message does that send to kids, including kids who are closeted gay? The BSA "changed their minds" because their policy was discriminatory and against the law. Jmmconne- I don't believe you are not anti-gay, because an inclusive person would see that your position is discriminatory and destructive.

You hit the nail on the head right here.  I can guarantee you that there are gay boy scouts that are confused and hurting.  Having a positive gay male influence would be a great thing.  Showing them that it's okay and that you can do the exact same things that your hetero counterparts can.  This is the same as the pro athletes coming out.  While it may not seem like news to many people, or they may get sick of hearing about it.  It can make the world of a difference to a kid somewhere.

2015-08-05 10:01 PM

User image

Pro

Justin, that's the big thing I've learned from you during these discussions.  Admittedly, I was one of those people who voiced that I was just tired of hearing about people coming out, because I don't care who is gay and who isn't.   You have helped me understand that it actually does make a big difference to people who are gay and struggling with the idea of coming out or being found out.  Now when somebody says, "who cares", when an athlete or other prominent person comes out, I have no problem telling them that a lot of gay people care, and that it does make a difference.  Thanks.

2015-08-06 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by trijamie

I should definitely be able to discriminate who the leaders of my children are in a private organization based on their beliefs. If I want to join a Christian organization I should definitely be able to say Muslims aren't able to be leaders. Just because the BSA doesn't have a specific organized religion attached to it, does not mean they cannot have beliefs. The same way I should be able to discriminate against a science tutor if he believes in a 6,000 year old earth.
This is a completely invalid analogy. You can decide that someone is not qualified to teach science if he doesn't believe in the laws of science. But you can't decide that someone is not qualified to interact with children if his sexual orientation is gay vs. straight. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with his qualifications for interacting with children.
A parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. I'm not really sure what to think about a parent who doesn't. Obviously parents will decide differently what identifies as qualified, but they should spend time discussing it with their spouse or other guardian (if there is one).

Just out of curiosity, why do you personally feel that a gay person is unqualified to interact with children? What are you worried about?

I never wrote that. This whole thread has really just gone to crap. I should have expected that. I believe a parent should decide who is qualified to interact with their children. They should monitor their friends, the media, video games, their leaders, and other influences. It is every parent's job to teach their children to be moral adults. Everyone on this board would agree that different people have different morals, so it just makes sense that parents would want to be able to decide who is going to be involved in teaching their children what is moral and what is not.

You won't say what you are eluding to.  That homosexuality is a choice which it is not.  It does not matter what you believe. 

I don't believe having an attraction to the same sex is a choice. I know people who are gay that would not choose it. But it is a choice to have sex and be in an intimate relationship with a person of the same sex. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to not have sex, but non-married Christians are in the same boat. Every one sins, so I think picking this one out is an odd fascination of many people. My only issue with any of this is the idea that it is not OK for some people to disagree. That the current mob has the only possible answer, and everyone else is a terrible person.

Sorry I'm coming in late to the discussion on this.

jmcconne I'm a very strong christian and probably share in many/most of your beliefs, but I want to strongly caution you on saying that homosexuality is a choice.  Yes, there are choices around homosexuality such as a person with same sex attraction can choose to not act on their attraction and remain celibate, but the underlying attraction itself isn't a choice in the way you describe.
There is huge debate about nature versus nurture in where same sex attraction comes from and I personally feel it's a combination of both with maybe 80% coming from the nurture part (just my personal opinion, no science behind it).  Every single one of us have sexual attractions that are developed at a very young age and we cannot explain it or choose to change it.  some men are sexually attracted to large bewbs, some are attracted to small bewbs, some like big booty's some like small booty's, some like brown hair, some like blonde hair.  I don't have a choice to be totally into blondes, it's just there.

There have been many scientific studies trying to find a "gay gene" that proves people are born gay, and it hasn't been found.  There have been many scientific studies trying to find certain parenting behaviors or abuse that proves people are "made gay" and it hasn't been found.  Unfortunately our sexuality is very complex and with living in a fallen world, it gets distorted in so many ways it's not even funny.  We see stories of people who are attracted to children, animals, trees, fence posts, you name it.  In those cases we're all pretty certain they weren't born that way but I can also tell you they don't choose to be attracted to them either and could have underlying genetic deficiencies that influenced them.  Thus, I feel it's a combination of nature (genetic wiring) and nurture (environment) that evolves our sexuality.

Now from a Christian standpoint I personally know people who have a same sex attraction and decided that they wanted to draw closer to God and try to change their behaviors.  They "chose" to exit from same sex relationships, but they couldn't choose to stop being attracted to the same sex.  Over time, and through lots of prayer and desire the two guys I know in my church have fallen in love with a member of the opposite sex and even gotten married (one has a baby on the way).  They still have the underlying same sex attraction and temptation to engage with members of the same sex (both of which have diminished over time), but they're choosing to not partake in it because of their belief in the Bible.

I've been counseling men on sexual addiction and sexual identity issues for over 9 years both in and out of the church and I can say with certainty that same sex attraction is not a choice, and as you discovered in this thread it's downright insulting to those that have to deal with it their whole lives.
Personally I feel that many (if not most) Christians get it so wrong on homosexuality because we elevate it to a "worst sin ever" status and treat people and organizations accordingly.  I can almost guarantee that you would have no issues at all if the Boy Scouts allowed a leader who was living with (and sleeping with) his girlfriend.  Sexual sin is sexual sin period and the Bible is very clear on this, so as hard as it may be we as Christians shouldn't treat it differently.

As for people leading youth groups in general, I personally have no problem with anyone gay or straight leading them as long as they don't have a criminal past.

2015-08-06 4:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Justin, that's the big thing I've learned from you during these discussions.  Admittedly, I was one of those people who voiced that I was just tired of hearing about people coming out, because I don't care who is gay and who isn't.   You have helped me understand that it actually does make a big difference to people who are gay and struggling with the idea of coming out or being found out.  Now when somebody says, "who cares", when an athlete or other prominent person comes out, I have no problem telling them that a lot of gay people care, and that it does make a difference.  Thanks.

What?  Justin's gay?  haha, just kidding.

Justin, you know I love you!  

2015-08-06 5:34 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by tuwood

Lol welcome to the discussion.  I was wondering where you were.  Good post.  I like your reference to how people tend to elevate this to the worst sin anyone could ever do according to the bible.  Now I am no Biblical scholar but from what I understand sin is sin.  I know many Christians who would never give me the time of the day that engage in premarital sexual relations, divorce, you name it. 

2015-08-06 11:02 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Lol welcome to the discussion.  I was wondering where you were.  Good post.  I like your reference to how people tend to elevate this to the worst sin anyone could ever do according to the bible.  Now I am no Biblical scholar but from what I understand sin is sin.  I know many Christians who would never give me the time of the day that engage in premarital sexual relations, divorce, you name it. 

Most Christians (including myself) say that sin is sin and in the broadest context it's a true statement because all sin is sin against God and leads to eternal damnation (according to the Bible).  However, through belief in Jesus Christ who was sacrificed for those sins we are forgiven and able to go to heaven.

If you dig real deep there are some examples where the Bible mentions that certain people will be in "more torment" than others which leads to believe there are different "levels" of sin.  Most notably Jesus tells a story in Matthew 11:21-22 where he says it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon than it will be for Chorazin on the day of judgement.  In my study the context is comparable to saying that a murderer is going to be under more torment in hell than a person who stole a pack of gum.  They're both in hell, but one is getting it worse.  However, they both sinned against God and can both be forgiven through Christ and overcome their sin.  So hence, sin is sin when it comes to salvation.

What I just described above is best summarized in this Bible verse

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (NIV)

I know several Christians as well that won't give the time of day to a gay person and it makes me sick.  Even if the motive is to "change you" I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it won't be successful if they never talk to you.   lol

Ironically we just had a sermon on "sex god's way" this past weekend.  I'd strongly encourage you to watch it.  I don't expect you to necessarily agree with anything, but I think you will gain a lot of education on what the Bible says about sex and sexual sin.  Might be handy to educate some of your self righteous Christian friends.  ;-)
http://www.calvarywo.com/media/current-message/

2015-08-09 8:28 AM

User image

I've got more of a problem with people like the OP being allowed to be parents.

There are more people than we'd like to realise who still carry and publicise this kind of bigotry and his children will have to work hard to overcome not being infected with the same disease of the mind.  I hope they do for their sake.

Such an eye roller when they pull the 'I've got gay friends' card early.  Show those friends this thread and see if they still are afterwards.  

2015-08-10 7:54 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Dan-L

There are more people than we'd like to realise who still carry and publicise this kind of bigotry and his children will have to work hard to overcome not being infected with the same disease of the mind.  I hope they do for their sake.

Such an eye roller when they pull the 'I've got gay friends' card early.  Show those friends this thread and see if they still are afterwards.  

I don't think that's quite fair to say he has a disease of the mind.  Anyone in America is entitled to their opinion and to feel otherwise is just as bigoted.  Remember, a bigot is simply someone who is intolerant of people with different opinions.
If a Christian doesn't want their children to participate in a program that has leaders who aren't Christians then they have every right to do so.  It's no different than you refusing to send your children to a Christian camp because you feel they don't teach a message of tolerance.  I wouldn't think that your'e a bigot because of it.  You simply want what you feel is best for your children.

Obviously we can all have a debate on what is best for a kids growing up, but not a one of us will agree on everything.

2015-08-10 9:44 AM

User image

I don't think that's quite fair to say he has a disease of the mind.  Anyone in America is entitled to their opinion and to feel otherwise is just as bigoted.  Remember, a bigot is simply someone who is intolerant of people with different opinions.
If a Christian doesn't want their children to participate in a program that has leaders who aren't Christians then they have every right to do so.  It's no different than you refusing to send your children to a Christian camp because you feel they don't teach a message of tolerance.  I wouldn't think that your'e a bigot because of it.  You simply want what you feel is best for your children.

Obviously we can all have a debate on what is best for a kids growing up, but not a one of us will agree on everything.

I would normally agree with you Tuwood but it’s gone too far.  This isn’t an opinion.  It’s modern day discrimination.

The big difference between the boy scouts and a Christian camp is a core objective of a Christian camp is to reinforce Christian values, teach the word of God and further indoctrinate the children into the religion.  The purpose of the boy scouts is to help people, teach moral values, promote physical and social activity and have fun.

People delivering the objectives of a Christian Camp probably need to be Christian to pull that off because they need to know the weird bits that normal people wouldn’t consider necessary like not having sex before marriage, not being gay and giving 10% of your income to a Church.

People delivering the objectives of the boy scouts can be anyone at all.

So it’s not the same and people have to stop hiding their bigotry behind a religious screen.  We’re not standing up to religious groups of any denomination enough on these issues.  They are driving huge wedges through our societies, stunting our children’s development and it needs to stop.

2015-08-10 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Is this still practiced by Scouts? I am not sure I was just looking up some stuff on the web. It has been awhile since my boys were in Scouts.

"Declaration of Religious Principle. The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honour I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of his favours and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."

2015-08-10 1:56 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jford2309

Is this still practiced by Scouts? I am not sure I was just looking up some stuff on the web. It has been awhile since my boys were in Scouts.

"Declaration of Religious Principle. The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honour I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of his favours and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."

I think so. They still offer merit badges for religious studies. I don't see how that would relate to the exclusion of gays, though. Athiests, maybe, but not gays. Being gay and recognizing an obligation to G-d are not mutually exclusive by any means.
2015-08-10 2:45 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I think so. They still offer merit badges for religious studies. I don't see how that would relate to the exclusion of gays, though. Athiests, maybe, but not gays. Being gay and recognizing an obligation to G-d are not mutually exclusive by any means.

My post was in reply to the poster complaining about teaching "Christian values" and it not being a "Christian camp" a post above. I know around here, a lot of Boy Scout troops meet in churches.

2015-08-10 4:24 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

My post was in reply to the poster complaining about teaching "Christian values" and it not being a "Christian camp" a post above. I know around here, a lot of Boy Scout troops meet in churches.

The boy scouts are independent of any single faith while maintain a belief in a higher power.

The point remains that it is absolutely not the same to discriminate against a gay person by campaigning against their employment as a leader within a group as it is to choose not to send your children to a camp that discriminates against gay people.

2015-08-11 6:33 AM

New user

I would normally agree with you Tuwood but it’s gone too far.  This isn’t an opinion.  It’s modern day discrimination.

The big difference between the boy scouts and a Christian camp is a core objective of a Christian camp is to reinforce Christian values, teach the word of God and further indoctrinate the children into the religion.  The purpose of the boy scouts is to help people, teach moral values, promote physical and social activity and have fun.

People delivering the objectives of a Christian Camp probably need to be Christian to pull that off because they need to know the weird bits that normal people wouldn’t consider necessary like not having sex before marriage, not being gay and giving 10% of your income to a Church.

So it’s not the same and people have to stop hiding their bigotry behind a religious screen.  We’re not standing up to religious groups of any denomination enough on these issues.  They are driving huge wedges through our societies, stunting our children’s development and it needs to stop.

Dan-L, this displays the same bigotry you are speaking out against....just toward a different group. But I guess that's OK, its just the Christians.

Edited by NXS 2015-08-11 6:35 AM
2015-08-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

Dan-L, this displays the same bigotry you are speaking out against....just toward a different group. But I guess that's OK, its just the Christians.

Both believers and non-believers need to do a better job of having civil dialog on topics like this.  Similar to earlier when Justin mentioned Christian people he knows that won't give him the time of day.  We all have different opinions and there's nothing wrong with that because we live in a country that has a constitution that allows us to be free thinkers.  I don't support a lot of things people believe, but I'll fight to the death to give everyone the right to believe what they want to believe and I'll have a civil debate with anyone to explain why I believe the things I believe.
Calling somebody "infected with the disease of the mind" or a bigot does nothing but show an individuals hatred and intolerance towards other people and most certainly will never convince them to listen to the opposing point of view.  I rally against Christians who go out and throw signs in peoples faces telling them they're going to hell because of X because it's stupid and does nothing more than increase the divide that they're trying to close.

Anyways, I'll get off my soap box

2015-08-11 9:59 AM

User image

I stand by it. 

I’ve had enough of passively awarding someone the right to discriminate.

Loathing someone because they discriminate against others isn’t bigoted.  Loathing someone because of their sexuality is.  So again, it’s not the same thing and Christians have to hide behind these false screens of their countries constitution or their interpretation of a book written by some blokes hundreds of years ago to justify their behaviours.

You lot are going to look as stupid as racists do now in the not to distant future. And in the vast majority of the developed world, you already do.

2015-08-11 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I stand by it. 

I’ve had enough of passively awarding someone the right to discriminate.

Loathing someone because they discriminate against others isn’t bigoted.  Loathing someone because of their sexuality is.  So again, it’s not the same thing and Christians have to hide behind these false screens of their countries constitution or their interpretation of a book written by some blokes hundreds of years ago to justify their behaviours.

You lot are going to look as stupid as racists do now in the not to distant future. And in the vast majority of the developed world, you already do.

I love your enthusiasm.  

You loath me and I've never discriminated against anyone.  I just happen to have a different opinion than you do about that book you mention, so I am "diseased" and worthy of bigotry?  This is the same kind of thinking that people use to alienate homosexuals.  They're different than me and don't believe what I believe so I'm going to loath them and publicly demean them any chance i get.

Jesus mentioned in the bible that we are to "do unto others as you would have them do to you".  This is the golden rule that all people, christian and otherwise, should strive to live by.  In other words, you can't simply loath people because they have a different moral compass than you do and then demand that they treat you and your beliefs otherwise.

I totally respect your opinion and even agree with the fact that we should never discriminate against anyone for any reasons.  However that doesn't mean I have no right to believe what somebody is doing isn't morally or spiritually wrong.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Discrimination in Boy Scouts Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Obamacare Pajama Boy Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by mcgilmartin
Views: 6904 Posts: 118

2013-12-24 3:16 PM NXS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!