Other Resources The Political Joe » Discrimination in Boy Scouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-07-27 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Discrimination in Boy Scouts
My kids are in Cub Scouts, and this will be my third year being a den leader. I think I should have the right to be a part of a private organization that can decide who the leaders that are involved with my boys are based on whatever merit I see fit. I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

2015-07-27 11:20 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Discrimination in Boy Scouts

Originally posted by jmcconne My kids are in Cub Scouts, and this will be my third year being a den leader. I think I should have the right to be a part of a private organization that can decide who the leaders that are involved with my boys are based on whatever merit I see fit. I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

What does being gay or straight have to do with the merit of a person? 

2015-07-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jmcconne My kids are in Cub Scouts, and this will be my third year being a den leader. I think I should have the right to be a part of a private organization that can decide who the leaders that are involved with my boys are based on whatever merit I see fit. I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

Maybe attribute would have been a better word for this discussion. The main point is why the hell can't we just let a private organization decide how they can run themselves. The very obvious goals of this organization is to help give boys transition into becoming solid young men with character. This was never a gay bashing group, so why can't people just leave it alone. There was no one stopping people from creating their own organizations (many have done so). If the BSA wanted to change on its own then that is perfectly fine (I would have supported it), but this was not the case.
2015-07-28 9:42 AM

User image

Pro

I was a Boy Scout, my son was a Cub Scout, I work with Scout Leaders, we run an Explorer Program where I work.......I like the Scouts.  I know the organization and what they stand for.  The fact is, BSA made it a point to exclude gay men from being leaders if they found out about it.....there is no denying that, whether it was an official sanction or not.

Here's my problem with that as far as the BSA goes.  There are kids involved in Scouts who are gay.  There just are.  The same as there are kids involved in baseball, soccer, swimming, blah,blah,blah who are also gay.  There just are.  It's not a choice.  What are we telling those kids if we won't allow people like them to be leaders?  What are we telling our own kids, gay or straight, if we don't allow gay people to become leaders? Are we teaching our children that gay people can't be leaders?  They don't have value?  It's wrong to not allow gay people into leadership roles in any capacity.......ESPECIALLY when it comes to our children. 

I have 5 kids.  I don't know if any of them are gay.  The older two live a hetero lifestyle so I assume they are not.  The younger 3 I couldn't really say for sure....they are just becoming sexually aware.....I guess we'll see.  But I know this without a shadow of doubt.......no kid of mine will ever feel ostracized from my family if they are gay, and I would hope that no child would have to....and it should be a given that the rest of society feels the same.

What will you do if one of your boys is gay?  Will you tell him he can't be a Scout Leader?  Will you tell him that there are doors that are closed to him in life because of his sexual orientation?  I will not.  I'll unleash proud , standing tall gay kids on society......not because they are gay, but because they are good people, with fine attributes and good values and great worth.......who just happen to be gay.

2015-07-28 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I was a Boy Scout, my son was a Cub Scout, I work with Scout Leaders, we run an Explorer Program where I work.......I like the Scouts.  I know the organization and what they stand for.  The fact is, BSA made it a point to exclude gay men from being leaders if they found out about it.....there is no denying that, whether it was an official sanction or not.

Here's my problem with that as far as the BSA goes.  There are kids involved in Scouts who are gay.  There just are.  The same as there are kids involved in baseball, soccer, swimming, blah,blah,blah who are also gay.  There just are.  It's not a choice.  What are we telling those kids if we won't allow people like them to be leaders?  What are we telling our own kids, gay or straight, if we don't allow gay people to become leaders? Are we teaching our children that gay people can't be leaders?  They don't have value?  It's wrong to not allow gay people into leadership roles in any capacity.......ESPECIALLY when it comes to our children. 

I have 5 kids.  I don't know if any of them are gay.  The older two live a hetero lifestyle so I assume they are not.  The younger 3 I couldn't really say for sure....they are just becoming sexually aware.....I guess we'll see.  But I know this without a shadow of doubt.......no kid of mine will ever feel ostracized from my family if they are gay, and I would hope that no child would have to....and it should be a given that the rest of society feels the same.

What will you do if one of your boys is gay?  Will you tell him he can't be a Scout Leader?  Will you tell him that there are doors that are closed to him in life because of his sexual orientation?  I will not.  I'll unleash proud , standing tall gay kids on society......not because they are gay, but because they are good people, with fine attributes and good values and great worth.......who just happen to be gay.

started writing a reply, decided we would all be better served just reading this post one more time.

2015-07-28 10:46 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by dmiller5

started writing a reply, decided we would all be better served just reading this post one more time.

I'll second it.  Great post LB.

All I will add is that discrimination is illegal and being gay is not a choice.  Just like the color of your skin is not a choice.  Based on that sort of logic I should be able to start a group that only allows people of a certain skin color to join. 

2015-07-28 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jmcconne

My kids are in Cub Scouts, and this will be my third year being a den leader. I think I should have the right to be a part of a private organization that can decide who the leaders that are involved with my boys are based on whatever merit I see fit. I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

I feel like you've raised this question before, and the answer is that we've already had this conversation as a country, back in the 50's and 60's, and decided that people can't be discriminated against because of race, religion, color, and, more and more, because of sexual orientation, even by a private organization. We accept as a country that not eveyrone gets the same opportunities in life, but that everyone should have the same rights is the basis upon which the country was founded.

Maybe we'll evolve to the point in this country where people no longer discriminate against people for things like this, but for now, as long as there are still people who don't want to rent their apartments to black people or hire Muslims or admit gay people to their health clubs, those laws are necessary to ensure that we uphold the Founders' wishes.

WalMart is a "private organization". Do you really think they should have the right to only hire white people or Christians if they choose to?

2015-07-28 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

My cousin had a scout leader who was the cream of the crop, and all the parents knew it. He was the best leader with the kids, did wonders for their self esteem, and everyone loved him. Then one day someone found out he was gay, and they kicked him out immediately. He lost that day, the kids lost that day, everyone lost that day, for no good reason. There were some leaders that I would have loved to have seen ousted when i was a scout, but it's because they were lazy guys who were terrible at interacting with children. That's what I cared about, not someone's sexual orientation which is nobody's business anyway. I've heard the argument that the kids are at risk because if a leader is gay, then may be a pedophile, and I think that's a really insulting thing to say to a gay person.  So was kicking out my cousin's scout leader the right thing to do?

Edited by trijamie 2015-07-28 11:06 AM
2015-07-28 11:23 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Maybe attribute would have been a better word for this discussion. The main point is why the hell can't we just let a private organization decide how they can run themselves. The very obvious goals of this organization is to help give boys transition into becoming solid young men with character. This was never a gay bashing group, so why can't people just leave it alone. There was no one stopping people from creating their own organizations (many have done so). If the BSA wanted to change on its own then that is perfectly fine (I would have supported it), but this was not the case.

BSA decided to lift its ban on gay leaders, even though they had the right to keep the ban.  Regardless of the reasons for the decision (public pressure, change of heart, etc.), they were not legally forced into the decision.  Contrary to what some may think, freedom of association is still a constitutionally protected right.

Great post LB.

2015-07-28 11:35 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Justin86

All I will add is that discrimination is illegal

That is not true. You can not discriminate based on several protected groups when hiring, selling houses, and several other places. You can and do discriminate on a very regular basis when making all types of decisions. Including the people you associate with.
2015-07-28 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
For the record, we have gay friends that have been around my children. Though I'll be honest it doesn't happen often since we're not as socially active as once were. Pretty sure my cousin is gay and we send time with her regularly. My problem is that this decision was 100% due to lawsuits. People were forcing others to think the way they think and do what they want them to do, and everyone is fine with that it it fits the current majority.

2015-07-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
WalMart is a "private organization". Do you really think they should have the right to only hire white people or Christians if they choose to?

We have laws that state you cannot discriminate in hiring. Through the many lawsuits, this was a ruling from the government that said you cannot discriminate in your association. I see a pretty big difference there.
2015-07-28 11:52 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hook'em

BSA decided to lift its ban on gay leaders, even though they had the right to keep the ban.  Regardless of the reasons for the decision (public pressure, change of heart, etc.), they were not legally forced into the decision.  Contrary to what some may think, freedom of association is still a constitutionally protected right.

Great post LB.

I disagree. I think the many law suits that the BSA lost might as well be a law because it was a group of decisions from the government that forced a private organization to make a change.
2015-07-28 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Great post LB.

I disagree. I think the many law suits that the BSA lost might as well be a law because it was a group of decisions from the government that forced a private organization to make a change.

Did I miss something? What lawsuits did BSA lose? 

2015-07-28 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

For the record, we have gay friends that have been around my children. Though I'll be honest it doesn't happen often since we're not as socially active as once were. Pretty sure my cousin is gay and we send time with her regularly. My problem is that this decision was 100% due to lawsuits. People were forcing others to think the way they think and do what they want them to do, and everyone is fine with that it it fits the current majority.

So, as someone who is yourself tolerant of gays, how does it make you feel that the BSA, an organization to whom you're personally loyal, discriminates against people like your friends and family members for no legitimate reason? You're ok with your kids being part of a organization that tells them that your friends and your cousin shouldn't be treated the same way they are?

Personally, I'd be reluctant to be a part of an organziation like that.

2015-07-29 9:42 AM

User image

Pro

So- if you claim that you don't have a problem if there is a gay leader... exactly what types of people do you feel like you should be able to discriminate against?  Blacks?  Jews?  Muslims?  Atheists?  women?  Divorcees?  Native Americans?  Mexicans?  Shiites?  Just curious- what exactly are you thinking?  Because we settled this 50 years ago in this country, and your view lost the argument.  We're now just fiddling with the details.

If it makes you feel any better (and it shouldn't) even tho' gay marriage is now legal in all 50 states, you can still fire (or not hire) someone for being gay in over 30 states, without legal retribution.  Yes.  in most states- gay people are not a protected class.  You can get same-sex-married on Sunday, and have your boss fire you because of it on Monday.  And you can't do squat.

I suggest you give up on your prior stance, and join the majority who believe in acceptance and inclusion.

2015-07-29 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn .... WalMart is a "private organization". ...

Actually - Wal-Mart is a publicly traded company.  Even though the majority of shares are still held/controlled by the family.

not that this matters to the argument much.  You could easily substitute Chik-Fil-A in there.  it's a private company.  (er... I think, I didn't check)

2015-07-29 2:47 PM

User image

Buttercup

I actually do not care if there is a gay leader, but it pisses me off that due to law suits a private organization had to make this type of change.

You have your facts wrong. The Supreme Court itself affirmed the Boy Scouts' right to deny membership and leadership roles to homosexuals. They have won every lawsuit brought against them in this regard.

The change in policy - to admit gay youth in 2014 and gay leaders in 2015 - has, to their credit, been an internally driven change.

I believe their restrictions against atheists and agnostics are still in place.
2015-07-30 2:28 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Originally posted by morey000

So- if you claim that you don't have a problem if there is a gay leader... exactly what types of people do you feel like you should be able to discriminate against?  Blacks?  Jews?  Muslims?  Atheists?  women?  Divorcees?  Native Americans?  Mexicans?  Shiites?  Just curious- what exactly are you thinking?  Because we settled this 50 years ago in this country, and your view lost the argument.  We're now just fiddling with the details.

If it makes you feel any better (and it shouldn't) even tho' gay marriage is now legal in all 50 states, you can still fire (or not hire) someone for being gay in over 30 states, without legal retribution.  Yes.  in most states- gay people are not a protected class.  You can get same-sex-married on Sunday, and have your boss fire you because of it on Monday.  And you can't do squat.

I suggest you give up on your prior stance, and join the majority who believe in acceptance and inclusion.

If someone's sexual orientation is towards young boys should the BSA be allowed to discriminate? Or was that decided 50 years ago as well?
2015-07-30 4:09 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Jackemy1

If someone's sexual orientation is towards young boys should the BSA be allowed to discriminate? Or was that decided 50 years ago as well?

homosexual does not mean pedophile.....i thought we were past this

2015-07-30 9:51 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Jackemy1

You are comparing pedophilia to homosexuality?  That is just insulting. 

You know what then?  I don't think they should allow Catholic priests anywhere near boy scouts.  If you want to play that game I will go there too.

2015-07-31 8:48 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro

Jackemy1 - I hear that kind of comment frequently with regard to gay rights......and every time I do I know it's complete garbage and I suspect you do to.  What is the point of throwing that into a discussion like this?  Seriously, that's just ridiculous and of course it's absolutely insulting to gay people.  Would you allow a man who's sexual orientation is toward young girls be a scout leader?  I guess that guy's not gay so what the hell, huh?  Just stupid.

2015-07-31 9:39 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Great post LB.

Did I miss something? What lawsuits did BSA lose? 

I've been on travel and busy with work, so haven't had a chance to find links to specific lawsuits and verify the info. You can Google ACLU and Boy Scouts. If I get time this weekend I'll post some of them.
2015-07-31 9:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

So- if you claim that you don't have a problem if there is a gay leader... exactly what types of people do you feel like you should be able to discriminate against?  Blacks?  Jews?  Muslims?  Atheists?  women?  Divorcees?  Native Americans?  Mexicans?  Shiites?  Just curious- what exactly are you thinking?

I should definitely be able to discriminate who the leaders of my children are in a private organization based on their beliefs. If I want to join a Christian organization I should definitely be able to say Muslims aren't able to be leaders. Just because the BSA doesn't have a specific organized religion attached to it, does not mean they cannot have beliefs.

The same way I should be able to discriminate against a science tutor if he believes in a 6,000 year old earth.

Edited by jmcconne 2015-07-31 9:43 AM
2015-07-31 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

So- if you claim that you don't have a problem if there is a gay leader... exactly what types of people do you feel like you should be able to discriminate against?  Blacks?  Jews?  Muslims?  Atheists?  women?  Divorcees?  Native Americans?  Mexicans?  Shiites?  Just curious- what exactly are you thinking?

I should definitely be able to discriminate who the leaders of my children are in a private organization based on their beliefs. If I want to join a Christian organization I should definitely be able to say Muslims aren't able to be leaders. Just because the BSA doesn't have a specific organized religion attached to it, does not mean they cannot have beliefs. The same way I should be able to discriminate against a science tutor if he believes in a 6,000 year old earth.

Your talking about two things here (1) beliefs - which can be changed and are optional and (2) how someone is born.

I don't care if you think being gay is a choice, because if you do, I will be blunt and tell you that you are wrong, it isn't.     

Being Christan, Muslim, Jewish, atheist - those are all choices.

Based on your logic we should be able to discriminate against people for the color of their skin.  Or heck why stop there?  People with disabilities, or who were born in a different country.  It's reprehensible.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Discrimination in Boy Scouts Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Obamacare Pajama Boy Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by mcgilmartin
Views: 6887 Posts: 118

2013-12-24 3:16 PM NXS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!