Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-04 12:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Traveling with bike

I'll add to this that it's a good idea to print out an airline's policy regarding bikes before going to the airport. A friend and I took over bikes overseas and the airline specifically stated on their website that a bike would be considered regular luggage, and would not be charged extra as long as it was under 50 lbs. The dude at the counter tried to charge extra and despite my arguing with him, he wouldn't budge until I showed him the printout from the airline website, and only then did he let me go. My friend who had checked in a few hours before hand didn't have such a printout, and was wrongfully charged something like 150 bucks.

2015-08-04 12:42 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by spudone

Check out http://rustersports.com/product/hen-house/

This is a soft sided case that isn't oversize. A lot of disassembly needed, but no $100 each way charge. And no big rental car needed at your destination. I'm here at the Expo at IM Boulder looking at the armored version of this and strongly considering buying it. Two bags one for bike one for wheels and then you can also stuff in gear.

I have packed and unpacked dozens of bikes for a hen house bag.  It's one of the best products out there for flying a bike and the bag is inbelievabvly durable.  There are only two drawbacks, and the first just takes some experience because it's no big deal.   1. You must break the bike down further than for any other bag out there......to unclude seat, handlebars, front fork, some take the brakes off, pedals, etc.  Again, none of this is a big deal and if you own a bike you should be able to do these basic things.....but it is time consuming on both ends.  2.  If your bike has an integrated seat post it likely will not fit in that bag unless your bike is REALLY small. 

Once the bike is disassembled, there is really only one way to get it into this bag and still zip it shut.  Less chance for TSA to mess something up.  I have the armored version, which I always recommend because of the wheels.  I don't think I'd want to carry the bags on shoulder straps very far.

Being able to fit your bike into a compact rental car or Prius taxi is a big plus for this bag.

OK! Based on LB's and Spud's comments, I bought one of these Armored Hen House soft case with plastic side inserts.  So far so good, packing was easy and it certainly seems as safe as my Trico Iron Case.

I only had to disassemble my P3C a little more than I did with my old case. The extra was to remove the front brake, pull the fork, and rotate the stem leaving it on the base bar.  All frame parts are wrapped in pipe insulation as I did with my Trico, with nice Velcro straps holding everything in place.  Wheels fit into the wheel bag without issue, but I do have to jury rig some hub protection because the included hub caps didn't fit my Zipps.

I sold my Trico on Boulder Craigslist, and I hope I never pay another excess baggage / oversize / bike fee again.

DO NOT utter the word Bicycle while at the ticket counter/bag check.  I know people with that bag who have been charged bike fees because the airliine said "a bike is a bike".....it was US Air.   If someone asks you what's in the bags you can just say, "wheels",  for the one bag, and "cycling gear" for the other.....it works for the folks we know and they don't have to lie or teach their kids to lie.  There is not a bicycle in either bag, right?   It's VERY rare you will be asked because of the size....but be ready in case you are.

Or Carbon Fiber parts samples!
2015-08-04 6:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--On one occasion in Vietnam I was checking in with my bike in a cardboard box while a friend was doing the same in another check-in line (for the same flight), with her bike in a similar box. Later we discovered that she was charged for the bike and I was not. No idea why as both bikes were under 20 kg and packaged identically. VN Airline's written policy is that you will be charged a handling fee if the bike/box is over 20 kg or the box exceeds the standard luggage dimensions, which of course a cardboard box and pretty much 99% of standard cases do. But in reality they do not always collect the fee on domestic or even international flights if it's less than 20 kg. Luck of the draw.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-04 6:11 PM
2015-08-05 8:34 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I stressed out about this for months prior to doing Alcatraz this year. I used a hard case and shipped it via UPS to my hotel. (I used UPS because a buddy who works for a large company shipped it for me at a very heavy discount...otherwise I would have used FEDEX). It arrived a few days early and I notified the hotel it was coming. After the race, I shipped it back from the hotel to my house. It was awesome. No issues whatsoever. Bike was fine. I would definitely do the same thing again. I was stressed about it, because I had visions of opening the case and finding a bunch of crushed carbon, but it was perfectly fine.

I loosened the cockpit and laid it beside the bike. Removed pedals and seat post and wheels. That's it.

With this particular case, I would likely not fly with it. It's too big and bulky. The soft cases have big advantages there.
2015-08-05 9:42 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by trijamie

I'll add to this that it's a good idea to print out an airline's policy regarding bikes before going to the airport. A friend and I took over bikes overseas and the airline specifically stated on their website that a bike would be considered regular luggage, and would not be charged extra as long as it was under 50 lbs. The dude at the counter tried to charge extra and despite my arguing with him, he wouldn't budge until I showed him the printout from the airline website, and only then did he let me go. My friend who had checked in a few hours before hand didn't have such a printout, and was wrongfully charged something like 150 bucks.

This does not always work, unfortunately. The only time I've flown with my bike was when Southwest was in-between their bike fee price change. I had booked prior to the change so should have been grandfathered in to the lower price, but when I got there the agents refused to honor it (and even stated that they'd NEVER charged less than the current price for bikes, which was utter BS). I had even printed out their own policy stating the granfathering (and the price differences, they refused to believe their own policy statement, so bizarre) - showed it to management - nothing. I wasn't about to miss my flight because of this so I paid. When I got to the gate I casually talked to the gate agent and he agreed, even gave me some Southwest credit on the spot. And when I got back, I called customer service to straighten it out and they immediately gave me a refund. But I was pretty irritated at the time.

2015-08-05 12:24 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Has anyone used the Planet X Deluxe Big Bag?

2015-08-10 1:02 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by spudone

Check out http://rustersports.com/product/hen-house/

This is a soft sided case that isn't oversize. A lot of disassembly needed, but no $100 each way charge. And no big rental car needed at your destination. I'm here at the Expo at IM Boulder looking at the armored version of this and strongly considering buying it. Two bags one for bike one for wheels and then you can also stuff in gear.

I have packed and unpacked dozens of bikes for a hen house bag.  It's one of the best products out there for flying a bike and the bag is inbelievabvly durable.  There are only two drawbacks, and the first just takes some experience because it's no big deal.   1. You must break the bike down further than for any other bag out there......to unclude seat, handlebars, front fork, some take the brakes off, pedals, etc.  Again, none of this is a big deal and if you own a bike you should be able to do these basic things.....but it is time consuming on both ends.  2.  If your bike has an integrated seat post it likely will not fit in that bag unless your bike is REALLY small. 

Once the bike is disassembled, there is really only one way to get it into this bag and still zip it shut.  Less chance for TSA to mess something up.  I have the armored version, which I always recommend because of the wheels.  I don't think I'd want to carry the bags on shoulder straps very far.

Being able to fit your bike into a compact rental car or Prius taxi is a big plus for this bag.

OK! Based on LB's and Spud's comments, I bought one of these Armored Hen House soft case with plastic side inserts.  So far so good, packing was easy and it certainly seems as safe as my Trico Iron Case.

I only had to disassemble my P3C a little more than I did with my old case. The extra was to remove the front brake, pull the fork, and rotate the stem leaving it on the base bar.  All frame parts are wrapped in pipe insulation as I did with my Trico, with nice Velcro straps holding everything in place.  Wheels fit into the wheel bag without issue, but I do have to jury rig some hub protection because the included hub caps didn't fit my Zipps.

I sold my Trico on Boulder Craigslist, and I hope I never pay another excess baggage / oversize / bike fee again.

DO NOT utter the word Bicycle while at the ticket counter/bag check.  I know people with that bag who have been charged bike fees because the airliine said "a bike is a bike".....it was US Air.   If someone asks you what's in the bags you can just say, "wheels",  for the one bag, and "cycling gear" for the other.....it works for the folks we know and they don't have to lie or teach their kids to lie.  There is not a bicycle in either bag, right?   It's VERY rare you will be asked because of the size....but be ready in case you are.

Post trip report: the Armored Hen House worked great! 

Alaska did not charge me the $75 they charged me both previous times I've flown out of DIA. A big win!  The bike arrived with no damage and as usual TSA inspected both bags but everything was as I left it.  I had FRAGILE stickers added, and so the bags arrived on the oversize luggage counter along with the usual baby strollers and car seats.  Fine by me.

Re-assembly at home was only five minutes longer then with the Trico (lube and install fork, adjust stem to correct angle and tighten). 

2015-08-10 8:00 PM
in reply to: #5131500

User image

Elite
Just went to Challenge Roth (NY- Germany) with a Scicon soft case absolutely no problem and a great case.
2015-08-11 9:18 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Pro

Glad to hear about the Hen House ad the Scicon bag traveling well.  That has absolutely been our experience as well.  I would highly recommend both/either, with a nod to the hen house if you don't have a very large frame or integrated seat post.

2015-08-12 12:48 AM
in reply to: KathyG

Originally posted by KathyG

I shipped my bike fed exp ground, and it arrived late and my frame was broken.

Fed Express did pay my insurance claim.

If you ship UPS or Fed Express ground, they often play a game with the cost. The measurement of the box and the fee, is a moving number often. If you measure at home and prepay, they sometimes charge you additional when it gets processed. Bike boxes often get pushed up to a next minimum size based on volume/size. My Thule bike box has been charged double one way of the trip compared to the other way.

Using that Bike shipping website other mentioned fixes the price so that the size/weight game is avoided.

SWA is the way we usually use to fly as bike fees are okay and not a game.

Often bike fees are greater than your seat cost so shop that when booking your ticket.

agree on this. one fedex store claimed they don't ship bikes, unless I agree to waive all insurance claims. went to the other fedex in town and they never heard of this "new" policy. But measurement is never the same even though it is always the same hard case box.

I have had repeated trouble with SWA lately. Last time they refused to ship the bike because somehow they have a new policy. When I called customer service, they said it was because I tried to use it as a carry-on. wah what?! given this woman at cs was not at the airport and they never asked my name, she was clearly making it up rather than on ground someone relaying this made up story to her. Luckily I was not flying for a race, just summer vacation.

Time before that, they completely destroyed my bag - completely so that stuff was falling out and big slashes in the material. they told me it was because there was a handle on the bag and that creates a risk. there is a handle on every bag.

I also had a time where they did not charge me the one way up charge for the bike, but somehow cancelled my return flight. I don't know if ding dong was pushing buttons to see what the charge was and pushed the wrong one or what happened, but the no flight home thing was not cool, but it did save me the charge in one direction.

Also, SWA has upped the charges from $50 to $75. Make sure to check before you fly that they haven't upped it again.

I recently flew delta with my bike. I had a two checked bag allowance BUT bike still cost $150 extra even if I didn't have any other checked luggage. That stinks as two big suitcases would take up a lot more room and weight then my bike box. That said, they did get it there in great shape while SWA has been my problematic airline.

I also did Lake Placid last year using tribike transport. They broke my zipps and a bunch of bikes were broken. guess whoever packed that truck didn't have work on his mind. Tribike promised to reimburse me for the cost of getting the wheel fixed when I got home. They didn't. That said, I have used tribike transport three times and the other two they did a great job.

Bottom line, shipping your bike is always a risk. the safest thing to do is drive and handle your own bike. If that isn't an option, other than the cardboard box method, all are likely to get your bike there, but there is always a chance you are unlucky that day (except the taped up cardboard box, can't imagine TSA is going to let that go anymore).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traveling with bike Rss Feed  

of 2