General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traveling with bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-28 7:54 AM

Subject: Traveling with bike
What is the best way to fly with a bike? I'm not buying a hard case and the soft cases don't seem to be a great option either. Looking for a cost effective way....

2015-07-28 8:32 AM
in reply to: clbdpt

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Traveling with bike

Get a cardboard bike box from a bike shop. Before I got a hardcase, I covered every inch of a cardboard bike box in packing tape to make it more water resistant in case it's raining when the luggage gets put onto the plane, and it did the job well enough

2015-07-28 8:44 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I use a soft case.  We've traveled with it 5 times and never had an issue.  Actually the first time I didn't pack it properly and the BTA bottle cage I had attached was bent.  Since then, no issues.

Typically "traveling with bike" and "cost effective" don't end up in the same sentence.  Make sure you do your research on the airline you book with.  That flight that saves you $100 might cost you an extra $300 in bike fees.

2015-07-28 9:31 AM
in reply to: #5131500

I will fly delta, by I don't know their rules on bikes. Is there still a bike fee if it's in a soft case?
2015-07-28 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Sometimes I have to pay the fee, sometimes I don't.  I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Delta is going to cost you $150 each way.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

2015-07-28 9:47 AM
in reply to: #5131523

I see a $50 fee each way for oversized items.... There is also the option to carry it on and put it in a seat (aka buy a seat for the bike).

2015-07-28 10:07 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Putting a bottle in the cage when shipping it helps keep the cage from being damaged (plus is one less thing to carry or put in checked baggage). Before I got my case (kind of a rigid soft case), I went the cardboard bike box route and only had real problems once, when it was raining torrentially. They do tend to disintegrate in those conditions.....Otherwise it's probably as good or better than a soft case, and not much worse than a hard one, at protecting your bike if packed properly. The big advantage of cases is that they're a LOT easier to roll through airports!
2015-07-28 10:37 AM

User image

Exton, PA
You may want to look into Fed-ex shipping to your hotel and back. I have not done this, but I believe other on here have. I remember reading some good things about doing it this way.
2015-07-28 10:47 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

We have made dozens of flights with bikes, and I have shipped ahead on FedEx twice.

#1 - forget oversize costs......your bike is not an oversized item, it's a BIKE....different rules and costs.

#2 - No, you can't buy a seat for your bike.

#3 - If you pack your bike so that the box can't be opened, TSA WILL cut your box open.

#4 - The soft cases today are good.  We use a Scicon, some of the team uses a hen house, some still use hard cases.....the damage factor is really minimal for all. (I have unpacked and built up hundreds of bikes after flights....the horror stories are greatly exaggerated)

#5 - Delta is one of the worst airlines to fly your bike on, and one of the most expensive......United is trying to be the worst.

#6 - Alaska Airlines, hands down, is the best airline for flying bikes.....Frontier is second.

#7 - FedEx is a great option....and much cheaper than airlines.....jus tuse the same case when shipping.

#8 - you can get TSA locks at the hardware store......TSA has a key to open them.....TSA likes people who use them.....TSA can trash your gear of they don't like you......do the math.

2015-07-28 11:27 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by clbdpt I see a $50 fee each way for oversized items.... There is also the option to carry it on and put it in a seat (aka buy a seat for the bike).

It's not an oversize item, it's a bike.  There is a section on that link specifically for sporting goods.

2015-07-29 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Why did you exclude a hard case? While soft cases have improved, hard cases are still what I see most commonly.  And they're usually available on Craigslist or eBay for much less than retail.

I've flown my bike using a hard case on around 5 round trips.  And I shipped it UPS once, which was great.  I shipped it via IM Lake Placid's bike receiving program, where you shipped it to their affiliated bike shop for a nominal fee above what UPS charged, and they could do everything from just hold it for you to basic assembly to assembly and tune-up. I had them assemble it. After the race I packed the bike myself and shipped it home. 

2015-07-29 7:56 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I fly Delta and didn't get charged at all either way to or from IMTX. I think my frequent flyer status covered it somehow but nobody could explain why...and I certainly didn't press the issue.

I used a hard case and TSA searched the box on the way back (I didn't use any locks). When they put my bike in they didn't lock it down properly (or at all) and just sort of threw everything back in the box in no particular order. There was no damage to the bike however, so I didn't file a complaint or anything, although I was still annoyed from a respect of private property aspect.

On another note, my brother went through security with a ziplock back full of maltodextrin powder in his carry on. I mean, it couldn't have looked more like a giant bag of drugs if you tried. They didn't say a thing.
2015-07-29 8:15 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Originally posted by mike761

You may want to look into Fed-ex shipping to your hotel and back. I have not done this, but I believe other on here have. I remember reading some good things about doing it this way.

I have done this twice using Shipbikes.com and it has been flawless. I used one of their heavy duty cardboard boxes and packed it myself with all my gear.

The other huge benefit of having it shipped directly to the hotel, besides the <$100 each way, I was able to rent a compact rental car because I didn't need to haul around the bike case when I got to the airport. After the race, I disassembled the bike / packed the box / put on the new labels, dropped it off at the front desk and called fed ex. Super simple.
2015-07-30 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Check out http://rustersports.com/product/hen-house/

This is a soft sided case that isn't oversize. A lot of disassembly needed, but no $100 each way charge. And no big rental car needed at your destination. I'm here at the Expo at IM Boulder looking at the armored version of this and strongly considering buying it. Two bags one for bike one for wheels and then you can also stuff in gear.

2015-07-30 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

My only experience with long distance travel and bikes is when we flew with a bike for my husband to do Ironman Canada in 2007.  He rented a hard case from the LBS in our neighbourhood. No need to buy it outright. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't crazy.  But as said before if you are flying with it they will likely look inside whatever box you have so it needs to be able to open. 

Edited by juniperjen 2015-07-30 1:42 PM
2015-07-30 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I travel with a soft case.

Nothing is perfect, and charges vary greatly with the carriers.

I do a careful pack job with the bike with pipe insulation on the frame and secure everything so it's not dangling.

TSA and the handlers can mess with the bike, however, I have traveled to Western Australia, Canada twice, Utah, islands of Hawaii (many times), without any serious damage in a soft case. (knock on wood).

Another idea is Tri Bike Transport, if they support your race.

2015-07-30 5:24 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by metafizx I travel with a soft case. Nothing is perfect, and charges vary greatly with the carriers. I do a careful pack job with the bike with pipe everything so it's not dangling. TSA and the handlers can mess with the bike, however, I have traveled to Western Australia, Canada twice, Utah, islands of Hawaii (many times), without any serious damage in a soft case. (knock on wood). Another idea is Tri Bike Transport, if they support your race.

TSA opens my hard case every single time, but no apparent impact. How do they mess with yours?

Tri Bike Transport is great and I've used it five times so my next time is free. It's more and more expensive each time so its not as cost effective as it once was.

Basically there are cheap once in a while options vs. more expensive initial cost but cheaper after multiple uses options. Then there are convenient but pricey every time options.

2015-07-30 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by metafizx I travel with a soft case. Nothing is perfect, and charges vary greatly with the carriers. I do a careful pack job with the bike with pipe everything so it's not dangling. TSA and the handlers can mess with the bike, however, I have traveled to Western Australia, Canada twice, Utah, islands of Hawaii (many times), without any serious damage in a soft case. (knock on wood). Another idea is Tri Bike Transport, if they support your race.

TSA opens my hard case every single time, but no apparent impact. How do they mess with yours?

Tri Bike Transport is great and I've used it five times so my next time is free. It's more and more expensive each time so its not as cost effective as it once was.

Basically there are cheap once in a while options vs. more expensive initial cost but cheaper after multiple uses options. Then there are convenient but pricey every time options.

TSA many times does not connect the straps back on the bag and/or the side straps on the wheel pouches. The straps keep everything from shifting in the bag.

Also either the handlers or TSA has curled a few chain ring teeth by setting the bike down on something hard....which I am now protecting with a device I made (working awesome btw).

Otherwise I have been lucky. The bike has made it all over the planet practically !

oh and the original post should read "pipe insulation on frame, and secure everything"

Edited by metafizx 2015-07-30 6:31 PM
2015-07-31 8:39 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Pro

This is a soft sided case that isn't oversize. A lot of disassembly needed, but no $100 each way charge. And no big rental car needed at your destination. I'm here at the Expo at IM Boulder looking at the armored version of this and strongly considering buying it. Two bags one for bike one for wheels and then you can also stuff in gear.

I have packed and unpacked dozens of bikes for a hen house bag.  It's one of the best products out there for flying a bike and the bag is inbelievabvly durable.  There are only two drawbacks, and the first just takes some experience because it's no big deal.   1. You must break the bike down further than for any other bag out there......to unclude seat, handlebars, front fork, some take the brakes off, pedals, etc.  Again, none of this is a big deal and if you own a bike you should be able to do these basic things.....but it is time consuming on both ends.  2.  If your bike has an integrated seat post it likely will not fit in that bag unless your bike is REALLY small. 

2015-07-31 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
If you are flying, I hope you are not flying Delta. They destroyed my hard case bike box. Fortunately I had a titanium frame and it withstood the gorilla attack that must have taken place on the luggage.

As an added bonus, it looked like they attached my bike box to the back of a luggage trolley and dragged it across the tarmac.

Also, the TSA security people took so much pity on me they loaned me some duct tape so I could wrap the remnance of my bike box for the last leg of my trip.

And for this Delta surprised me with a $200 each way charge. At least my bike made ti safely to the destination.

I would not trust an airline with my bike in a cardboard box.

Edited by Hugh in TX 2015-07-31 1:15 PM
2015-07-31 3:29 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
, California

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have packed and unpacked dozens of bikes for a hen house bag.  It's one of the best products out there for flying a bike and the bag is inbelievabvly durable.  There are only two drawbacks, and the first just takes some experience because it's no big deal.   1. You must break the bike down further than for any other bag out there......to unclude seat, handlebars, front fork, some take the brakes off, pedals, etc.  Again, none of this is a big deal and if you own a bike you should be able to do these basic things.....but it is time consuming on both ends.  2.  If your bike has an integrated seat post it likely will not fit in that bag unless your bike is REALLY small. 

Once the bike is disassembled, there is really only one way to get it into this bag and still zip it shut.  Less chance for TSA to mess something up.  I have the armored version, which I always recommend because of the wheels.  I don't think I'd want to carry the bags on shoulder straps very far.

Being able to fit your bike into a compact rental car or Prius taxi is a big plus for this bag.

2015-08-01 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I shipped my bike fed exp ground, and it arrived late and my frame was broken.

Fed Express did pay my insurance claim.

If you ship UPS or Fed Express ground, they often play a game with the cost. The measurement of the box and the fee, is a moving number often. If you measure at home and prepay, they sometimes charge you additional when it gets processed. Bike boxes often get pushed up to a next minimum size based on volume/size. My Thule bike box has been charged double one way of the trip compared to the other way.

Using that Bike shipping website other mentioned fixes the price so that the size/weight game is avoided.

SWA is the way we usually use to fly as bike fees are okay and not a game.

Often bike fees are greater than your seat cost so shop that when booking your ticket.

2015-08-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what happened but....I wasn't charged on Thursday to ship my bike from Oregon to Saigon! I paid $200 when shipping it home for the summer, and assumed that was the one-way charge. Since I was doing a HIM and several weeks of training for it felt it was worth it to have the bike I've done most of my recent training and racing on and the one that fits best. Still unclear. The first flight was on United Express to SFO and then a code-share on ANA (Japanese carrier) to Narita and on to Saigon. Either I misunderstood and $200 was for round trip, or sometimes they don't charge, or possibly ANA had no additional charge (I couldn't really figure it out from their website) and I wasn't asked to pay as I was connecting to it. I was told I had "already paid baggage charges", whatever that meant.

At any rate, bikey arrived in good shape. I used an Evoc case--kind of a semi-rigid soft case. Both times TSA has inspected it but nothing seemed messed up or damaged. It is like someone else said about other case--there's really only one way that things fit in, and everything's visible upon opening the case, so maybe less likely to be messed with than a bike in a cardboard box or hard case. The case works well and is easy to handle--I'm not big, and had plenty of other stuff, but I could easily pull it through the airport--actually wheeled it with bike inside about 600m to LBS yesterday for reassembly. Not the cheapest case but would recommend it if you're in the market for one. An added plus is that a typical carbon tri or road bike plus this case and a few tools will probably be within the 50 pound limit for luggage, so less likely ton end up with "overweight" fees from some airlines.
2015-08-04 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by spudone

Once the bike is disassembled, there is really only one way to get it into this bag and still zip it shut.  Less chance for TSA to mess something up.  I have the armored version, which I always recommend because of the wheels.  I don't think I'd want to carry the bags on shoulder straps very far.

Being able to fit your bike into a compact rental car or Prius taxi is a big plus for this bag.

OK! Based on LB's and Spud's comments, I bought one of these Armored Hen House soft case with plastic side inserts.  So far so good, packing was easy and it certainly seems as safe as my Trico Iron Case.

I only had to disassemble my P3C a little more than I did with my old case. The extra was to remove the front brake, pull the fork, and rotate the stem leaving it on the base bar.  All frame parts are wrapped in pipe insulation as I did with my Trico, with nice Velcro straps holding everything in place.  Wheels fit into the wheel bag without issue, but I do have to jury rig some hub protection because the included hub caps didn't fit my Zipps.

I sold my Trico on Boulder Craigslist, and I hope I never pay another excess baggage / oversize / bike fee again.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-08-04 10:06 AM
2015-08-04 12:07 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Pro

Originally posted by spudone

OK! Based on LB's and Spud's comments, I bought one of these Armored Hen House soft case with plastic side inserts.  So far so good, packing was easy and it certainly seems as safe as my Trico Iron Case.

I only had to disassemble my P3C a little more than I did with my old case. The extra was to remove the front brake, pull the fork, and rotate the stem leaving it on the base bar.  All frame parts are wrapped in pipe insulation as I did with my Trico, with nice Velcro straps holding everything in place.  Wheels fit into the wheel bag without issue, but I do have to jury rig some hub protection because the included hub caps didn't fit my Zipps.

I sold my Trico on Boulder Craigslist, and I hope I never pay another excess baggage / oversize / bike fee again.

DO NOT utter the word Bicycle while at the ticket counter/bag check.  I know people with that bag who have been charged bike fees because the airliine said "a bike is a bike".....it was US Air.   If someone asks you what's in the bags you can just say, "wheels",  for the one bag, and "cycling gear" for the other.....it works for the folks we know and they don't have to lie or teach their kids to lie.  There is not a bicycle in either bag, right?   It's VERY rare you will be asked because of the size....but be ready in case you are.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traveling with bike Rss Feed  

of 2