Overall Rank = 854/866
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 44/48
Swim
  • 53m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Unfortunately, there had been a drowning two days before (after our swim) the race and they closed the lake to pre-swims. They did a moment of silence before the start which was very nice - I was a bit emotional - such a tragedy.

I had a panic attack as I first started swimming within first 10 yards - took a bit to calm myself down and continue with swim - thought about stopping, turned around and looked a the beach, but thought of my girls and our rule of no quitting!

Waited for the mass to move through - burped a few times and then started swimming - once I started I kept a decent stroke and pace. Swim ended up very confusing - they added a hook that wasn't on the map and slowed me down toward the end because I had to swim back to large buoy and correct my course. Finished in under would I originally thought. My friend and training partner and I finished within seconds of each other - which was surprising with my panic attack and delayed start.

Most people with GPS watches said the course was long - so if it was truly long - It makes my swim time event better. I was pleased about my swim time as I was just hoping to be out of the water before my 1:10 cut off.

As I said, it was confusing course. In fact, I had heard the #1 women DQ'd because of swim course confusion.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in mass starts. Practice sighting more.
Transition 1
  • 05m 49s
Comments:

Transition was ok - I had a lot of women around me that seemed were a lot faster than I was, so my transition was all in my bag and not on the ground. I sat on the curb and did transition. I didn't think the extra time would make a difference for me.

I had to go to the bathroom but all porta potties were on outside of T1 and I didn't take the extra time there to visit them.

Not really anything - I thought it went pretty smoothly - all considering
Bike
  • 3h 18m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was hilly - a bit hillier than I expected- but nothing I couldn't handle. In fact one of the big hills on second half of course I climbed at 19-21 MPH with 80+ cadence... I was wishing they all would have been that way! I passed a lot of people on the bike - I really liked the bike but my training friends say I climb really well... but I don't scream down them either.

I had to use the restroom after T1 and there were only porta potties at the aid stations so at 30K, I stopped. Looked at my watch and I had been on the bike just over an hour at this point. After, there were two significant climbs and both lasted forever- first one I handled fairly well, it had several segments - seemed like every time you crested and then went around a corner there was another climb which seemed to go on forever. The last of this big climb I followed a group and took it slow as the traffic was heavy and shoulder was narrow. I took advantage of the top and subsequent level route to drink and get my heart rate under control. On the second half of course there is a fairly long steady climb, I nailed! Actually the last couple of shorter climbs to T2 seemed harder than the two big ones but still managed to pass people on the bike.
I was also praying I didn't get a flat tire or something worse happen... There were a lot of volunteers on the course changing tires - especially the first 40K - after that I didn't see as many with issues - but Calgary had great bike support.

Practice drinking more nutrition - training more to pick up more speed on flats and downhills
Transition 2
  • 06m 15s
Comments:

I took this transition slower - knowing I was walking most of the 13.1. I changed socks and thankfully I did because they were full of sand from beach. I took more nutrition and headed out.

Practice more
Run
  • 3h 04m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Left out of transition knowing i was going walk most of the 13.1 miles. I also knew all of the people I passed on the bike - would be passing me now! I tried to run more of the first half than the second half. I did as my time was about 9 minutes slower on the second portion.
There were a couple of large hills - not long, but steep - walked up them - the course seemed to go on forever and never end. It seemed the last 2K was forever - the last 1k took FOREVER and was never ending!

Run more in training- run a few half marathons just to get the mileage in and have that in the bank for the run portion
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line and dropping a tear or two - my husband was there to give me my medal. It was wonderful!

They had great food and ate potatoes and such while waiting for my training partner to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough training in the run or swim

Event comments:

The weather was great- partly cloudy about 65* and little wind. Great Volunteers!! Kudos to all of them!
I have been to Boise and CDA events and this one seemed a bit bare bones for expo/festivities and such - but it is the only non-profit so it is somewhat understandable. Being my first 70.3 it would have been nice to have a backdrop to take some finish photos similar to what was available in Boise in past years.
Could have been more "Bikes on Road" or "Race in Progress" signs on the first half of bike course near the big series of hills as it was busy with traffic and may have assisted with their speed.
Overall - My main goal was to finish within the cut-off times. I did - I had a spectacular bike - surprising swim and so so run/walk. Overall - I am happy with my first 70.3.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:29 | 2112 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/48
Overall: 834/866
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 05:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:18:36 | 56 miles | 16.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 39/48
Overall: 803/866
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
03:04:16 | 13.1 miles | 14m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/48
Overall: 854/866
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-07-28 9:55 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Calgary

2015-07-28 11:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Calgary

Really enjoyed reading your race report.  It sounds like you coped well with adversity and had a good time.

Just as you say, I thought the swim in 2014 was long and the bike was a lot more climbing than their elevation map showed it to be.

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-07-28 11:19 PM
2015-07-31 7:17 PM
in reply to: #5131675

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Calgary
You did it! Congratulations! Hope uou have many more in store.
Deb
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Calgary Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Calgary

Started by h9lfc
Views: 1132 Posts: 1

2012-07-30 3:56 PM h9lfc

Ironman 70.3 Calgary

Started by hgermsheid
Views: 1451 Posts: 2

2012-07-31 11:54 AM tgermsheid

Ironman 70.3 Calgary

Started by tbwilliams
Views: 1397 Posts: 1

2012-07-30 12:01 AM tbwilliams

Ironman 70.3 Calgary

Started by h9lfc
Views: 1587 Posts: 1

2011-08-04 10:14 PM h9lfc

Ironman 70.3 Calgary

Started by JMINPNW
Views: 2013 Posts: 2

2011-08-02 11:41 PM krystyna47
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.