General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thank you to the early finishers... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-28 10:49 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: Thank you to the early finishers...
Did my first sprint tri last weekend. It was awesome. Scary. Thrilling. Exhausting. Awesome. Life changing.

Anyway - I just wanted to mention one of the things that really made the most impact while I was head-down and just trying to get through..was the encouragement of those elite and experienced athletes that were finishing while I was starting. I can't tell you how nice it was to hear that encouragement. As I was transitioning from the bike to the run I sort of looked up and saw the sign and said "Oh..there's the run.." and a guy that was finishing the run (one of the early waves) said to me.."it's a great run..beautiful course..go get em'..". Then, on my first lap of the two lap run, there was an early finisher down on the course below the short but steep hill to the finish encouraging everyone to finish strong and gut it out and run to the finish (I had another lap to go..lol!). It was just really nice to see and hear - and it makes a difference. Thank you to those that still remember how it was...

BeachAV8R

2015-07-28 11:40 PM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Thank you to the early finishers...

It's the interaction between yourself and other athletes that makes the race fun and memorable.  Every race I've done there is someone that I remember encouraging me or I encouraged.  Or, people cheering me by name (because it was on my bib).  And, there is something special about crossing the finish line.  Very empowering.

Keep it up and have fun.

2015-07-29 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I live on the left coast and it is just the same way here. It was one of the reasons I fell in love with the sport. Simply awesome people. I'm sure I have run in to a few jerks over the past few years since I started but the number that fit your experience outweigh them 1000 to 1.

Glad you got the first one under your belt and had a great time. So what's next?

2015-07-29 9:21 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stuartap ...I fell in love with the sport. Simply awesome people....

yeah- Tri's have a very different energy than Cycling.

2015-07-29 9:42 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
When I was almost done with second transition and ready to get running, I realized I forgot my shirt with number, I grabbed it and wanted to put it on, while an athlete shouted to me: "just run!!!", and I run
2015-07-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro

(runin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
runin.jpg (109KB - 7 downloads)

2015-07-29 11:50 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Glad you got the first one under your belt and had a great time. So what's next?

That is a really good question. It's only been a few days since the triathlon and I'm already feeling somewhat rudderless! I've had this goal for several months and all that training and prep and then "poof" - the carrot is no longer there. Weird feeling!

So I'm hooked though - but just need to set another target. The easy answer to "what's next?" is I need to continue on this fitness road. 230 lbs. a few years ago. 215 pounds a few months ago. 198 last weekend. The target is around 180-185 (6' 2") - so that is a nice, clear goal. Based on my lousy swim and run time I think aerobic fitness and endurance are both high priorities..so lots of running. I love the bike, so that is less of a struggle. The best $90 I ever spent was going to a bike shop and spending a few hours getting the bike fit and getting some tips from the professionals there (I'm becoming a spinner instead of a masher!). I now need to find a swim coach to fix all the problems with my swim technique. I'm completely comfortable in the water, but my form must be poor (combined with still a ways to go on fitness), so I could use some advice and tips from a professional.

In the next few days I need to sign up for another sprint distance tri to keep the targets out there. And there is the Olympic distance tri right in my backyard next year (the Over the Mountain in Kings Mountain) that was actually what inspired me to get into triathlon. I'm pretty sure I can get fit enough to do that by late May of next year. The Buckner Mission Man was such a beautiful location for my first tri that it set the bar pretty high. I don't think I could do a pool swim type tri - I just love being outdoors, so lake or ocean type venues will be my choices. I'll have to hunt around North and South Carolina and see what is available coming up.

Anyway - as others have noted, the tri community is awesome and I had such a great time.

BeachAV8R
2015-07-29 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

That is what got me hooked into the sport six years ago. Loved the support from the experienced athletes during my first race and never forgot it. I remember coming into the transition after finishing my bike and there was a guy telling me "good job". I realized later he was finished and I was just starting the run. He was also first overall. Did that race with a $200 bike and not a clue about Triathlons.

Fast forward to 2015. $3,000 bike and completed every level of Triathlon from sprint to Ironman.

I try to give encouragement as much as I can on the course to be an ambassador of the sport. I sat on the tail gate of my truck after finishing the last race and clapped for every finisher.

Awesome job on your first race!
2015-07-30 3:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BeachAV8R ....I just wanted to mention one of the things that really made the most impact while I was head-down and just trying to get through..was the encouragement of those elite and experienced athletes that were finishing while I was starting. I can't tell you how nice it was to hear that encouragement.

I had the same experience when I did a Sprint Triathlon in 2008 with a few of my friends.  They all trained to swim, bike, run.  I however didn't have access to a pool, didn't have a good bike and was limited on time to train.  So...I didn't swim at all in training and only did about 10 miles of cycling during my training period.  I ran every day and worked hard to be in the best shape possible on race day.  I got creamed in the swim.  All of my friends were 5-8 minutes and I was 11 minutes.  I borrowed a bike for the race but didn't do a good job of changing out the clipless pedals to my platform peddles with toe clips and the 2nd crank out of the bike area the peddle fell off.  I had the wrench with me and was able to get the peddle back on but it delayed me about 10 minutes. I rode hard in an effort to make up any time I could.  Coming off the bike my legs about buckled under me.  I wasn't sure if I could walk let alone run 3 miles.  I resolved to do a slow 5K jog (or even walk) and call in a day but as I trudged my way out on to the run area I looked up and saw two of my friend who were already done with the race waiting for the rest of our group and cheering them on.  One yelled my name and said "I know you have this run".  I knew he was right.  I did have that run and knew he knew it.   I had been doing speed work outs with that guy every Tuesday on the track for months.  He knew that the run was the one thing that I had.  At that point I didn't care how numb my legs were or the fact that even a world record 5K couldn't pull me ahead of any of my friends.  I just ran because my friend believed in me and so I could believe in me too.  It was a very slow ugly run.  When I heard the time I wasn't impressed.  It was at least a minute over what I though my two friend that I saw at the start of the run had probably done their respective runs in.  When the results came in I was surprised to see that one of the guys that cheered my on who held his high school mile run record had been nearly a minute slower than me on the run and that I was the 2nd faster run time of the 300+ people at the event that day.  The one person that beat me was just a few seconds faster than me. It was a total shock.  

So... with the elite and experienced cheering me on at the end I was able to do the 2nd fastest run time of the day.  With out them, I would have been doing a slow jog or a walk.  Yes, the people that have just finished the race know what you are going through and know what you need to get to the end.  Their words of encouragement are breaths of life at the end of a race. With many sports going the other way it is nice to see good sportmanship is still alive and well in triathlon.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-07-30 4:00 PM
2015-07-30 5:40 PM

User image

Look at the YMCA Sprint Tri in September. It has an open water swim across Bank's Channel at Wrightsville Beach that is with the current and the salt water is buoyant. Information is on Setup Events under NC Tri Series.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thank you to the early finishers... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dusk Comes Earlier and Earlier - PSA

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1146 Posts: 8

2010-08-26 10:05 AM gts

Early to Bed ~ Early to Rise Pages: 1 2

Started by VikingMom
Views: 2470 Posts: 34

2005-12-15 9:29 PM kandicemcdonald

HOT IM USA Finishers Medals on EBAY.

Started by H13
Views: 1535 Posts: 18

2005-07-11 11:22 AM nliedel

Finisher's Medal

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 873 Posts: 3

2005-04-01 2:29 PM ChuckyFinster

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU BT

Started by lynda
Views: 960 Posts: 5

2005-03-12 10:33 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?

date : June 14, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
More than any other factor – including distances in other sports, weight, height – time on bike proved important for faster performance.