General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike cadence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-29 12:28 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: Bike cadence
I am training for a HIM in the next couple months and an IM next year, and I am aware cadence is different for the longer races (ie. over 4 hours). I have previously done multiple oly and sprint distance and I never paid much attention to my cadence. The bike is definitely an area I can improve in and I think that focusing on this may be of help. The little bit of research i have done says to use roughly 90rpm as a standard cadence for longer events, However I have heard that some people stay up in the 120rpm range or go much lower in the 70rpm range. Obviously there is a trade off where higher rpms cause more aerobic stress, and lower cause more muscular fatigue. In these longer races where is the "sweet spot" typically for a triathlete?

2015-07-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: jckcrlln

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Bike cadence
From what I've read, bike cadence is variable for each rider. Regardless of distance, ride at a cadence that feels comfortable and natural for you (I think that the average person is somewhere around 90 rpm and so this becomes the de facto recommendation). I tend to average between 78-85 rpm for longer rides and that works just fine for me. Where cadence comes into play is when climbing. Grinding up a hill in a lower gear can "burn some matches," creating more leg muscle fatigue for the run later on. I tend to increase my cadence on the hills. I spin at a higher rate in a higher gear, and that makes my legs feel less tired.
For HIM and IM, I've focused more on being consistent over longer rides and concentrating more on nutrition and hydration. I'm aware of my cadence, but I don't think it's a high leverage area of focus for improvement.
2015-07-30 12:25 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

I know people like to self select it but I've heard that 90+ is idea for triathletes so you don't burn your legs for the run. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. When I first started biking 4 years ago I was at the 70ish range and then I consciously brought it to the 80-90 range and now that's just where I like to sit naturally. I looked at my IMWI data and I averaged 89. I just did an Olympic and I averaged 96. I paid zero attention to my cadence for my Oly. It's just what I ended up having. I remembered I at least looked at my cadence at IMWI for the hills to make sure I was 80+ (when possible, with 90+ being ideal) so that I don't overcook my muscle.
2015-07-30 8:06 AM
in reply to: jckcrlln

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Your body will do a good job of settling into the optimal cadence for given situations.

Having said that, there are a few things you can do to learn to be comfortable at a wide variety of cadences (this will help the your body choose in different situations):

1) ride lots
2) sometimes ride a gear or two harder than feels right at a lower cadence and sometimes ride a gear to two easier than feels right at a higher cadence
3) practice getting power to the pedals and being smooth at high cadences - on a downhill try to push the pedals at cadences of 120rpm+
4) ride lots

Shane
2015-07-30 9:47 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Master
Northern IL

The research finds what works for a lot of people, but doesn't mean everyone should do that. One does not "improve" their cadence, but rather their understanding of what works for them. And do so by what Shane described. Higher and lower feels different. What feels best is likely to be what you've been doing, so by becoming more used to a wider range one can take out the strange feelings and make a better assessment.

2015-07-30 12:54 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Ok Thanks, I appreciate the advice. How about at the end of the bike before the run, should I practice changing up during brick workouts? and if so, which direction?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike cadence Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

improving cadence

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 749 Posts: 2

2012-09-21 8:56 AM JohnnyKay

Riding cadence and hills

Started by chevy57
Views: 2031 Posts: 8

2010-03-10 3:11 AM chevy57

Higher run cadence

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1044 Posts: 5

2010-02-02 7:14 PM phatknot

Avg Mph and Cadence for IM Finishers... Pages: 1 2

Started by joerigg
Views: 2785 Posts: 30

2007-12-11 3:25 PM runatlanta

Ironman cycling cadence and wattage

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 1439 Posts: 4

2007-02-20 8:49 AM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 22, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.
date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : May 11, 2007
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk

date : April 11, 2007
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.