General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another bike question - rim & tire size compatiblitiy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-29 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: Another bike question - rim & tire size compatiblitiy
Years ago we bought two of our daughters beginner road bikes. They have been chronic about getting flats. Just today I realized that there might be a problem between the rim size and tire size.

The tires are 700x23C and the rims are 622x16. All the compatibility charts I have found show x15 and x17, but I've not seen one that says x16.

Now I wonder, is it possible that the bead is not setting properly because the tire is actually too narrow for the rim? When we put over 90lbs of pressure in them, the tires push off and the tubes bulge out.

If it is this simple, I'll be even more chapped about how much money I've wasted on tubes.

2015-07-29 8:14 PM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Subject: RE: Another bike question - rim & tire size compatiblitiy

622 refers to the diameter of the rim in mm.  16 refers to the width of the rim in mm.  I believe it is the outside width of the rim, making that rim on the narrow side, but still wide enough where it should accomodate a 23 mm tire.

700c is just another term for a tire that will fit a 622 mm diameter wheel.  So to answer your question simply, you shouldn't have any problems mounting a 700x23 tire to a 622x16 rim.

If when inflating your tubes, the tubes start popping out it is likely that you are not properly installing the tubes before inflating.  Do you have a picture of what it looks like when this happens?  Part of me thinks that this is simply an installation error, but the fact that it seems to happen so often and that you think your tires are too narrow leads me to believe something else.  A 23 mm tire should actually be plenty wide for a 16 mm wide rim so maybe your rim is a lot wider than you think it is, or your tire really isn't 23 mm wide?  Or maybe you're using a tube that is not meant for 23 mm tires?

2015-07-29 10:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Montana
Um, no, it is not an installation error. I have my own bike and have no problems with that happening.

I know all about the diameter of the rim. The part in question is the width of the rim. In all the charts, they show that they don't recommend a x23 tire to be mounted in a x17 rim, but I can't find anything that references a x16.

Maybe someone else has some insight on this.
2015-07-30 1:05 AM

User image

What chart are you referencing?  

2015-07-30 7:40 AM

Few things
- the tire size should not be a problem 23's an a 16mm rim should work
- You said "years ago" "entry level". What kind of tires and how old? How many miles on the tire? Entry level bikes are going to come with low end tires. The tires may have worn out.
- Does it happen to both bikes all four tires?
- Do the girls fix their own flats? Or is there a dedicated flat fixer in the house that could be installing incorrectly?
- The thing I am puzzled with is the bugle at 90psi. Are you tried multiple pumps / tire gauges? That 90 might be a lot higher. I also wonder if the tubes you are using are too big for the tires, to be honest I don't know if that would cause a problem. I guess it could also be side wall failure but on all 4 tires it seems odd.
- Are they puncture, pinch flats if puncture are they on the rim side?
2015-07-30 7:50 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Sounds like a rim tape problem.

2015-07-30 9:51 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Expert
Montana
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Few things
- You said "years ago" "entry level". What kind of tires and how old? How many miles on the tire? Entry level bikes are going to come with low end tires. The tires may have worn out.
- Do the girls fix their own flats? Or is there a dedicated flat fixer in the house that could be installing incorrectly?
- The thing I am puzzled with is the bugle at 90psi. Are you tried multiple pumps / tire gauges? That 90 might be a lot higher. I also wonder if the tubes you are using are too big for the tires, to be honest I don't know if that would cause a problem. I guess it could also be side wall failure but on all 4 tires it seems odd.

Probably six years ago. They have always been prone to flats.
Both bikes, all four tires.
The girls (who are grown and out of the house now) usually replaced their own, but I have tried, too. Same results
I have a Joe Blow really good pump.
We did identify a problem with the rim tape early on, and replaced the tape, so those flats we were getting are eliminated. Now we are dealing with pinch flats from bulging.

Also, we replaced the rear rim on one bike because it was the worst, and everything works perfectly on that one now.

I'm just going to chalk it up to low-budget parts and recommend new rims. Since they don't ride their bikes much, there is no point in replacing the whole bike.
2015-07-30 10:28 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Shoeless

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Few things

Probably six years ago. They have always been prone to flats.
Both bikes, all four tires.
The girls (who are grown and out of the house now) usually replaced their own, but I have tried, too. Same results
I have a Joe Blow really good pump.
We did identify a problem with the rim tape early on, and replaced the tape, so those flats we were getting are eliminated. Now we are dealing with pinch flats from bulging.

Also, we replaced the rear rim on one bike because it was the worst, and everything works perfectly on that one now.

I'm just going to chalk it up to low-budget parts and recommend new rims. Since they don't ride their bikes much, there is no point in replacing the whole bike.

It sounds like you covered everything except for the rims. Since one rim was replaced and the problem went away with that tire, I think you have your answer.
2015-07-30 1:27 PM

User image

Are the flats all pinches?  Do they flat in the same area of the rim all the time?

There are many reasons you can get flats, but the one good thing is that there is always evidence left behind that should let you pinpoint the problem.

2015-07-30 6:25 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Montana
Originally posted by Jason N

Are the flats all pinches?  Do they flat in the same area of the rim all the time?

There are many reasons you can get flats, but the one good thing is that there is always evidence left behind that should let you pinpoint the problem.

We eliminated the flats that were happening because of the rim tape. Now all we get are pinch flats from the bulging tire.

I think the big lesson for me here is, "You get what you pay for."

Thanks so much.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another bike question - rim & tire size compatiblitiy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question for the bike experts re: tire size

Started by houtexan
Views: 873 Posts: 7

2015-04-23 8:54 AM houtexan

Bike Tire Size - Quick Question

Started by Far Left Texas
Views: 760 Posts: 2

2011-04-23 6:41 PM Av8rTx

Road Bike Rims vs Cross Rims

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 1073 Posts: 6

2011-02-03 5:08 PM kproudfoot

Tire/Wheel size question

Started by RVachon
Views: 1189 Posts: 3

2010-01-04 10:31 AM RVachon

MTB Road Tires - Quick Size Question

Started by PhilE
Views: 1488 Posts: 3

2007-04-26 5:55 PM jimbo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.