General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss/Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-30 8:09 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Weight Loss/Nutrition
I started adjusting my diet and exercise to lose weight on June 8th (at that time I weighed 207 lbs and I am 6'3" tall). Shortly after I started, I got bored with running only and decided to start training for a sprint triathlon in September.

Today (July 30th) I weigh 185 lbs and feel like I need to start increasing my calorie intake and level off this weight loss a bit (-22 lbs in 52 days).

I'm not necessarily against losing more weight (my body fat percentage is around 11% now), but losing it at a rate of 2.3 lbs per week is much faster than I ever intended or want to keep up.

Just curious if any of you have a similar story and could share any advice for transitioning from a negative net calorie intake to something resembling more of a "weight maintenance" phase while also training for a sprint?

Also, should I expect to gain some wait after the sprint and I ease off the workouts a bit? If so, how much?

More info: I'm 34 and I have been averaging a net calorie intake (food cal - exercise cal = net cal) of 1230 cal per day for the last 52 days. Working out 5-6 days per week, but you can look at my training log to see that if you wish.

2015-07-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Weight Loss/Nutrition

EDIT: I misread,

I just eat high carb low fat low protein vegan.  I don't really have to count calories (also counting calories is pretty much BS, you have no idea what you are taking in and burning)  Just eat and fuel your body, it will make you a better athlete.  

Edited by dmiller5 2015-07-30 9:14 AM
2015-07-30 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I agree that expecting perfect accuracy from tracking calories is not practical, but it has been a good exercise for making me aware of what exactly I'm putting into my body and approximately how much fuel my body needs to complete the exercises I've been doing.

Before I started keeping track of things I was probably taking in at least 3000 calories each day and a lot of it was crap food (some that I even thought were healthy). By going through the process of recording what I ate, it became much easier to see where my poor eating habits were their worst.

I'll probably quit recording things once I'm more or less accustomed to whatever my new diet will be.

Edited by marti038 2015-07-30 9:31 AM
2015-07-30 9:58 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I take in 3000-3500 calories a day, very stead at about 155lbs.  A lot of it is eating real food, low fat, vs processed garbage as you say.  I think we place too much emphasis on simply calories.  Fiber is extremely important in that calculation.

2015-07-30 10:03 AM

User image

I just read a book called "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald. VERY helpful. Concentrates on increasing the quality of what you eat and how endurance athletes should fuel their body. I would suggest checking it out.
2015-07-30 10:23 AM
in reply to: Jcdyess

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by Jcdyess

I just read a book called "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald. VERY helpful. Concentrates on increasing the quality of what you eat and how endurance athletes should fuel their body. I would suggest checking it out.

Will do. Thanks.

2015-07-30 12:49 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Congratulations on your successful weight loss!

Every body is different..  what we burn, what we metabolize, etc. No one answer is perfect for YOU...

Keep doing what you are doing, track everything. Calories in versus calories out. If your program to track calories has you on a daily deficit make sure you change it back to 0.

Keep measuring and modifying until you neither gain nor lose weight for a week. Repeat. Kept it steady for a few weeks? Now YOU know what YOU need for calories in versus calories out at that weight.

There is no one right answer...  except to measure, examine the data, and modify as needed. - simple but not easy... As others have said, eat "REAL" food - not processed. Keep measurements (how / what) consistent.

Best of luck on your continued success!

-Dennis

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss/Nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2108 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Muscle gain vs. Weight Loss

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 1032 Posts: 6

2005-01-07 2:20 PM sty

Weight loss challenge

Started by KathyG
Views: 866 Posts: 2

2005-01-05 3:31 PM KathyG

Detox Program for Weight Loss - Feedback?

Started by joannh13
Views: 816 Posts: 2

2004-06-14 8:29 AM Whit

weight loss question

Started by I_tri
Views: 837 Posts: 2

2004-04-17 11:29 AM vmax3000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet

date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.
date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.