General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike Components - Worth the Upgrade? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-30 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Road Bike Components - Worth the Upgrade?
I've finally come to the conclusion that it's time to replace the road bike. I've decided on a fairly top of the line aero model. I've been putting around 4k to 6k miles a year on the road bike, mostly fast-paced group rides and some road races.

My LBS can order me a base model (Ultegra drive train + Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels) or they'll sell me one with upgraded components they currently have in stock (Dura-Ace 9000 + Head Jet 6 Plus) for an incremental $1500.

I already have a decent set of wheels. I'd like to have the Heds in my stable, but I don't really need them.

Have you ridden on both Dura-Ace and Ultegra? Do you actually notice a difference in the ride experience? I wouldn't expect any increase in durability between Dura-Ace and Ultegra. Do I have this wrong?

What do you think......worthwhile to upgrade or stick with the base model?

2015-07-30 10:14 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Road Bike Components - Worth the Upgrade?

You would be fine with ultegra

2015-07-30 10:33 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I don't think you would be a able to notice a difference between the DA and Ultegra. Not sure the Da would be more durable either.
Test ride 2 bikes back to back one with DA and the other with Ultegra, I did it last year and couldn't feel it.

So are the wheel worth $1500 to you?
2015-07-30 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by g_shotts

I've finally come to the conclusion that it's time to replace the road bike. I've decided on a fairly top of the line aero model. I've been putting around 4k to 6k miles a year on the road bike, mostly fast-paced group rides and some road races.

My LBS can order me a base model (Ultegra drive train + Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels) or they'll sell me one with upgraded components they currently have in stock (Dura-Ace 9000 + Head Jet 6 Plus) for an incremental $1500.

I already have a decent set of wheels. I'd like to have the Heds in my stable, but I don't really need them.

Have you ridden on both Dura-Ace and Ultegra? Do you actually notice a difference in the ride experience? I wouldn't expect any increase in durability between Dura-Ace and Ultegra. Do I have this wrong?

What do you think......worthwhile to upgrade or stick with the base model?

I have Ultegra mechanical, DA mechanical and DA Di2.

I would would buy Ultegra Di2
2015-07-30 11:38 AM

User image

the wheels are probably worth 1300-1500 used if you know someone interested.  Then you get a free upgrade to DA.  If you plan to keep the bike and wheels forever then I'm not sure how much benefit you are getting for an additional 1500, but if you are thinking value and resale then the price is increase is pretty fair for what you are considering.  I'm assuming the S5?

2015-07-30 3:51 PM

Meh, it's not a bad deal . . . but 1500 is 1500. I'm running Ultegra and I find it does everything I need it to do.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike Components - Worth the Upgrade? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Component Upgrade

Started by hornsfan
Views: 862 Posts: 9

2009-07-29 6:50 AM Nelg

bike component upgrade options????

Started by wabash
Views: 926 Posts: 12

2009-07-02 2:45 PM wabash

Road Bike Vs Tri Bike Components Pages: 1 2

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 1511 Posts: 27

2007-11-28 4:04 PM kproudfoot

worth it to upgrade bike shoes?

Started by awol
Views: 2362 Posts: 13

2006-06-09 12:10 AM Zev

upgrading bike components

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1471 Posts: 9

2004-04-01 1:51 PM COP2TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : August 7, 2009
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.

date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.