General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-30 1:11 PM

New user

Victoria, British Columbia
Subject: Tapering
I have a question regarding tapering for a specific run.
The run is called the Mountain Man Challenge out of Edmonton Alberta Canada. Its strickly a miltary run.
The run is:
32kms carrying a 33lb rucksack;
3.2kms with the rucksack and a 75lb canoe;
11kms canoe down the river;
5.6kms carrying the ruck to the end.
Weekly i do:
Monday: Hill training - 300metres x 8 times plus a run (7kms);
Tuesday: Tempo run - 4km sprints with easy run inbetween (9kms);
Wednesday: Stairs - 4kms to start then 200 stairs x 10 times (9kms);
Thursday: Easy run - 7.5kms with a 1x km sprint in the middle.
Friday: Long run consisting of 35, 36 or 37kms at 5:20 pace.
No training with the rucksack yet.

So, my question is........Leading up to the race day, how should i taper prior to race day?

Thanks.

2015-08-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: Old Army Guy

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Tapering

this is a rather complex answer, as defining a taper can only be done in the context of a training plan.  A training plan that has the athlete continuing to increase their training load.  The idea here is that by training, you dig yourself into a fatigue hole; a combination of your acute (short term) training load and your chronic training load (i.e. the past ~ 6 weeks of training).  With a certain amount of periodization where you increase your load for a few weeks, then back off for a week to recover, so you come back stronger and then can do more/faster the following period.  i.e. you must rest to improve... but the contrary is also true, when you rest- you give up fitness, but in turn you get freshness- so you can perform at your best.

a typical marathon program would have you in a deep fatigue hole 3 weeks out from race day, and then take 30% off your program 2 weeks out, and then another 30% off 1 week out.  Going easy the final week and are fresh for race day.  Key thing, at least for marathons, is to reduce your volume, but maintain the balance of intensity.

How this all plays out for the kind of race you're talking about... ugh.  I have no idea.  Sounds brutal tho'.  Definitely start training with the ruck.  Train like you race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

taper madness

Started by cnsegura
Views: 932 Posts: 2

2014-04-21 5:24 PM jkron

Taper Tips

Started by dewybuck
Views: 869 Posts: 6

2013-03-11 1:01 PM dewybuck

to taper or not?

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1224 Posts: 6

2012-09-06 12:02 PM Jungle Jenn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 19, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
There are a lot of flavors to an Iron distance taper plan. Do you reduce the volume, the frequency or both? This article will go over some tried-and-true taper plans.

date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.
date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.