Germany
Challenge Family
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 03m 54s
Overall Rank = 1816/
Age Group = M45
Age Group Rank = 418/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, but did not get any sleep since my family arrived in Germany at 12am and had to update them on the logistics of the race. Got dressed, got my race number tattoos on, had a light breakfast of fruit, juice and toast at the hotel at 4am. We then caught a ride down to the swim start at 4:45am with two other Brazilian triathletes and a swiss pro-triathlete.
There was heavy traffic on the small road towards Hippolstein, where the swim start takes place so we arrived around 5:45am, but my swim start was until 7:40, so I was ok with time.
Event warmup:

After loading my nutrition and hydration on my bike, spent my time relaxing and talking to triathletes from other countries. It was a beautiful morning with the sunrise over the canal and some big hot-air balloons on the other side. About 30 minutes before my wave start I put my wetsuit on and to my unpleasant surprise, the material on the left knee tore leaving me with a huge 4 inch whole. 20 min before the start I had a gel and then at 7:35 we were allowed to go into the water, which was nice at 23C.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 48s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went ok and I felt good through out most of the swim. The start in waves makes for a more civilized experience without getting punched/pushed down as much. When I saw my time of 1:18 I was a little disappointed since I thought I had swam faster than that with the advantage of a wetsuit, but considering that I had only done a max of 1 swim/week and it was only my second time swimming with a wetsuit, I cannot really complain. BTW, great crowd support along the canal!
What would you do differently?:

Increase my swim training to more than once a week and focus more on drills/technique. With limited time, the swim is what I choose to sacrifice the most (about 10% of the race)
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Volunteer support was great and as soon as I entered the tent to get my bike gear on, a really nice girl got my shoes and helmet out of my bag, took my wetsuit and goggles and pack them into the bag and off I went. Probably my fastest T1 ever for a full IM

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 44m 52s
  • 180 kms
  • 26.68 km/hr
Comments:

I was a little concerned about the bike since I was using a borrowed road bike with my clip-on bars and was only able to test it only once for a 1hr ride.

I started the bike feeling strong and highly motivated, but after 20 miles/1hr into the ride, my back started killing me and I was also having trouble shifting gears. At the next rest stop I went straight to the mechanic to try to get the bike adjusted and then proceeded to ride. Unfortunately, it was obvious by then that the bike was not the right fit for me and that I would have to suck it up for the remaining 5 hours of the ride. I was hoping to come in below 6 hours, but then had to adjust my expectations and just hoped to finish the bike with as little damage to my body as possible. It was a loooong ride with lots of people passing me, so I decided to enjoy the ride as much as I could and to focus on not screwing up my nutrition/hydration and just getting into T2.

We had two major climbs in each of the loops and one of those was the famous Solar Hill, which is packed with cheering fans and athletes have to ride in a single lane throughout the climb. This was one of those amazing experiences that pumps you up and puts a huge smile on your face. Over the course of the bike I tried to interact with the crowds as much as possible, which is always fun and invigorating and to thank the volunteers at every stop. We also faced some major winds, especially in the 2nd loop and I ended up finishing 1hr later than expected in a time of 6:44. I was thrilled to come into T2, feeling exhausted and with severe back pain by then.

Train harder on the bike. Try as much as possible to ravel with my own bike, especially for a full IM distance tri. Also work more on my nutrition/hydration since after about 4 hours into the ride I could not see another gel nor bar, only water.
Transition 2
  • 07m 23s
Comments:

I was exhausted and with severe back pain when I arrived into T2, so I took my time trying to stabilize myself as much as possible before heading out for a marathon. Again, volunteers were great hear which made for a pleasant experience in T2. 7 minutes later I was out, stating the marthon

nothing
Run
  • 4h 49m 1s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 06m 51s  min/km
Comments:

Getting into the run was tough both mentally and physically after the problems with the bike. However, I was committed to finishing at whatever cost, so I started running really slow, trying for my body to stabilize a little and trying to find a comfortable pace to follow. I decided not worry about time at all and just focus on getting from food stop to food stop, every 2kms without walking and then only walking through the food stops. This is easier said than done, but I was able to manage it through out most of the race, with my biggest motivator being that I was going to be able to see my family at the end of the race and did not want them to have to wait more than necessary.
Through the stops, I could only manage to take in coke, apple slices and water, so I was hoping that it would be enough energy to get me through, without having to walk.
I was tempted many times to "walk a little", but kept pushing myself and at the end was able to pass a lot of people on the run. After 4:49 of being out there pushing myself, my biggest thrill came when I approached the finish line and was able to see my family for the 1st time in the whole day. I stopped to give them all a big hugh and thank them for their support and then, since this was a Challenge Race, I was able to run into the Roth little stadium with my two daughters, niece and and nephew, all carrying flags from our country of Guatemala. After crossing the finish line in a total time of 13:03 and getting my medal, I then fell to the ground and stayed there for a little while trying to regroup myself, but with a huge smile in my face.

Train way harder on my bike/run bricks and focus more on dialing in the proper nutrition/hydration strategy.
Post race
Warm down:

I went into the finishers tent for some hydration and a massage. I was cramping badly and shivering a lot, probably due to dehydration/improper nutrition during the race.
After the massage I went to get my changes cloth bag and changed into something warm. I then went out to meet my family with a huge smile on my face.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The challenges with the bike (fit, mechanical issues with the gears) affected my time and physical/mental endurance. But I knew what I was getting into by having decided to borrow a bike since it was not possible to travel with mine, so it is no excuse. At the end, one can always train more and focus more on nutrition/hydration to be better prepared to race this distance. Experience is very important since its the decisions one makes, when unexpected things happen during the race that determine the outcome.

Event comments:

This is an incredible race that lives up to its reputation. Between the beautiful Bavarian villages and country side, along with the amazing crowd and volunteer support, this is the best Iron distance race I have done so far (out of three) and would definitely recommend it to everyone. Being able share the experience of the finish line together with my daughters and nephews by my side and watching the happiness on everyone's faces is one the biggest highlights and most memorable experiences to date!
I would love to do it again in the future, but with my own bike this time!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:48 | 3800 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1827/
Performance: Average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/832506331/1
Suit: TYR Hurricane Wetsuit
Course: It was a 1 loop course in a canal and in waves of 200 people
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 22F / -6C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:44:52 | 180 kms | 26.68 km/hr
Overall: 2183/
Performance: Below average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/832506331/3
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loop course through out the countryside, with 2 good climbs, but with incredible crowd support
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:49:01 | 42.2 kms | 06m 51s  min/km
Overall: 1535/
Performance: Average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/832506331/5
Course: Mostly flat course with a long portion of the run along a canal in an unpaved road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-30 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: Challenge Roth

2015-07-31 8:20 AM
in reply to: #5132111

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Challenge Roth
Awesome job!
2015-08-02 3:51 AM
in reply to: #5132111

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
What an experience Gabe, congratulations!!!
2015-08-04 12:48 PM
in reply to: markz

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Great job out there! Sounds like you had to dig pretty deep and still finished so strong! Way to go! 

2015-08-06 2:19 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
6:44 on someone else's bike? Awesome job Gabe!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Roth Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Quelle Challenge Roth

Started by swiss tri
Views: 2241 Posts: 5

2008-08-07 10:13 PM swiss tri

Quelle Challenge Roth

Started by drewb8
Views: 3383 Posts: 13

2008-07-23 11:15 AM swiss tri

Springfield Urban Challenge and Family Challenge

Started by run joe run
Views: 915 Posts: 1

2006-10-07 5:24 PM run joe run

Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis

Started by hikergerb
Views: 1090 Posts: 6

2006-09-03 10:14 PM KathyG

Charities Challenge: Challenge Obesity 5K

Started by hikergerb
Views: 1355 Posts: 1

2006-04-01 2:17 PM hikergerb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.