World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 42m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Ate oatmeal and banana. Drank some water. Met up with friends. Walked to transition area to check bike.
Event warmup:

Swam maybe 50 yards, then got in line for the rolling start.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 28s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've done IM Louisville and IM St. George. This was the most congested swim I've participated in, lots of contact. Boxed in and near panic the first few minutes, before settling into it. My slowest IM swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Train more.
Transition 1
  • 09m 17s
Comments:

Nearly a half mile from the swim exit to the transition area.
Bike
  • 6h 49m 20s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Missed out on a lot of training this year, so struggling in this races wasn't unexpected. Back and neck pain were two of the biggest problems. I drank only water, ate bananas, GU, and electrolyte tablets. Tried to save my legs as much as I could. The last ten miles were a real struggle. I was happy to be off the bike and onto the run course.
Transition 2
  • 06m 2s
Run
  • 5h 20m 18s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty tired coming off the bike, but managed to average about 10 min miles for the first 10 miles and ran without stopping until mile 16. My legs were pretty well spent by then. I walked a lot, ran some.
Post race
Warm down:

Met with my family. Took pictures. Eat a couple pieces of pizza. Walked back to hotel. Showered and slept.

Event comments:

Training was really a struggle with a pregnant wife and two small kids. Then my mother-in-law was hospitalized during the peak training weeks. I just didn't get enough training in to really be where I like to be in these races. It was kind of a miracle I made it at all so overall I'm happy with the results.

Last updated: 2015-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:28 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Yes
Course: 2-loop
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:49:20 | 112 miles | 16.42 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops. The first half of each loop was mostly downhill with the second half being mostly uphill.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:20:18 | 26.2 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 loops. Hills coming in and out of town but otherwise a little bit rolling, but mostly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-07-31 10:48 AM

User image

New user

Indianapolis
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid

2015-07-31 3:38 PM
in reply to: #5132272

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid

Great effort to tough it out -  including (and perhaps especially!) the challenges experienced during training. With two IMs under your belt you would have known this race would be ugly so even more kudos. "That which doesn't kill us....." Look forward to the next IM report.

2015-08-07 2:54 PM
in reply to: Konabound

User image

New user

Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid
Originally posted by Konabound

Great effort to tough it out -  including (and perhaps especially!) the challenges experienced during training. With two IMs under your belt you would have known this race would be ugly so even more kudos. "That which doesn't kill us....." Look forward to the next IM report.

Thanks. You have no idea... I told my wife a couple days before the race that I wasn't sure I could even finish. Training the last month was a total bust and I was so drained from everything else going on, including the two day trip out there with my family, that I almost called it off. But I got two good nights of sleep, suited up, and had a pretty good day all things considered. Already thinking about the next IM, but it will be a while, thinking Chattanooga in 2019. We're done having kids now and the youngest should well out of diapers by then and God willing everyone will be healthy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by ckunst
Views: 3163 Posts: 4

2011-08-01 7:36 PM jillian_o

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by cornerofdivision
Views: 3557 Posts: 7

2011-08-01 8:58 AM igorkiev

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by krissster
Views: 2425 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 8:25 PM krissster

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by glazebal
Views: 3992 Posts: 8

2011-08-17 10:25 AM timebaron

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by aj_breitwieser
Views: 2839 Posts: 1

2008-06-20 11:10 AM aj_breitwieser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.