General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit & Buying Used Bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-01 8:46 PM

Subject: Bike Fit & Buying Used Bikes
I'm looking to upgrade from my current road bike, which I bought new, to a tri bike, which I'm hoping to buy used to save some money. Anyway, I know that it's important to get a fit first before buying a specific bike and making my body fit that bike. However, how does this process typically work when buying a used bike? Do I get fit, buy a bike that will work well with my body, then get it fit again once I bought it to get it actually set up properly? Is the second "fit" typically included when you're purchasing a fitting, even it you're getting a used bike? My understanding is that it is if you're buying a bike directly from the LBS that does the fitting, but I'm just curious about how this usually happens when buying used.

I guess it's possible that this is dependent on the bike shop you use for the fitting, but I recently moved to NYC and am not familiar with any of the bike shops here. I figured there must be someone on BT who has gone through this process with the fit and a used bike, right?!?!

2015-08-01 9:17 PM
in reply to: pcon

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bike Fit & Buying Used Bikes
Not sure as I actually bought my used tri bike at a bike shop, and the owner included the fitting with the purchase. It was beneficial for both of us as riders here are overwhelmingly expat males who ride much bigger bikes, and few of the (smaller) locals are interested in tri bikes. The bike (a size 51 P2 sold to the shop by a departing Japanese expat) had been sitting there for months, and I'd been looking for a secondhand tri bike for months as well! Possibly not the ideal way to do things but in my case it worked out fine--it's a very good fit.

The general advice is to do a fitting first get an idea of what makes/models of bikes are suited for you, purchase a bike, then tweak the fitting as needed. Many shops waive or discount the fitting cost if you end up buying a bike from them. But if, after a fitting, you bought a used bike from elsewhere--it would definitely be worth asking about a discount on the subsequent fitting on your actual bike, though. I know in my case the owner mentioned that he wouldn't charge for any subsequent tweaks needed with the fitting. I think many shops would be happy to be flexible to gain your loyalty as a customer. Generally with a used bike, you'll soon be making other purchases like switching out the saddle, pedals, etc. (which is something to consider about buying used--often those parts aren't included or the original owner puts the stock parts back on and keeps his favorite ones) that might affect fit. Particularly if you're making those purchases at the same shop, you should be able to negotiate something.
2015-08-02 7:03 AM
in reply to: #5132500

User image

Subject: RE: Bike Fit & Buying Used Bikes
I have only bought used tri bikes. I am too cheap to pay retail. Contact Brian Richards at www.mybikeshop.com and he will help you out. I have bought 90% of my bike gear from him (including my Felt DA2), and he is great. Brian is a used bike broker in Maryland and he deals in all makes/models. The main thing you want to get right is frame size. You could go to your LBS and pay $250 for a fitting, and then buy the bike, but with some basic measurements, Brian can get you hooked up. Depending on how you fit on a tri bike (pretty different then a road bike), you will want to go to your LBS to work on your stack/reach. They can add spacers on the aerobars to raise you up, our adjust your pads to make you more comfortable. Either way, start with Brian before you drop $250 on a fitting. Just my opinion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit & Buying Used Bikes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3316 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Tri bike fit vs Road bike fit

Started by DJones107
Views: 1471 Posts: 6

2010-10-05 7:46 AM DJones107

Set up road bike fit like a tri bike fit

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3347 Posts: 16

2010-08-23 8:45 PM audiojan

Bike fitting and buying a used bike

Started by neweyes
Views: 632 Posts: 1

2010-08-10 9:45 AM neweyes

Buying used online - bike fit?!?

Started by mrcurtain
Views: 1073 Posts: 10

2009-08-26 4:35 PM Aikidoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : June 17, 2009
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.

date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.