General Discussion Race Reports! » The Experience at Frankenmuth Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Experience at Frankenmuth Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Frankenmuth, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 49s
Overall Rank = 43/126
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

long drive to race site. Had pancakes, a boost in the car, beet shot 30' b4 race
Event warmup:

No warm up. TT swim start with jump off of boat. Really wasn't focused on killing it today, so just did some stretches while waiting on the boat.
Swim
  • 31m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

nice swim with minimal contact. with current out (I went harder here) and against back.
What would you do differently?:

not much. Just start watch so I would have gotten accurate distance. The swim was most defiantly LONG. Bummed, cause I feel like it was a good pace swim for me. :( One friend (a good swimmer) got 1.3 miles. I don't think it was that bad! But it was long for sure.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

PU! Stunk this up! this is where I figured out no swim data. :( Long winding uphill out of the water to transition. at least 200 m! Thankfully Eric F yelled at me to stop fiddling with the watch! :)

Practice of course. Didn't do any transition practice prior to this race. Not fiddle with the watch. But I wanted the bike data. :) hustle harder while at bike. Took a bit too long here I think.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 52s
  • 40 miles
  • 32.49 mile/hr
Comments:

The winds were kind, the TT start meant the course wasn't crowded and I liked it a lot. Wish I had more grrr today as if I was trained and tapered for this distance it would be awesome sauce! Wouldn't want to race here in the wind though...nothing to stop it.

Not much. This should have been my "bike test" but I really didn't have the hammer time in me today. I rode well, but not as hard as I should have. Not my best oly or my worst. Totally ok with it though.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

took my feet out way too early. Didn't know how much snaking around in the parking lot we would do (wasn't marked the day before!) so in the future I'd wait till I was closer. Also, the dismount was right after a curve. Not ideal so no flying dismount. Took a bit of time to get my shoes on. Need to hustle faster in there!

not much I could have with no knowledge of transitions. I'll know for next year.
Run
  • 56m 43s
  • 10 miles
  • 05m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, PU big time. Legs and head just could not get going. No tempo or threshold miles in here. Lame. I did help a fellow competitor who was cramping with some base salt, and ran as hard as I could the last mile, it was just an 8:47 today. The long bike and run showed up and there was no mental ability to "BE THE BIRD". aka get after what you want and don't quit! :) I was defiantly working the last mile plus. :-/

Don't know. This was a good day of training during my IM build. If I was in better shape and not chubby perhaps my times would be closer to my normal Oly times. Maybe next year!
Post race
Warm down:

Just got water and chatted up the MANY friends and teammates who were racing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IM training, soft build into this season, lack of transition practice, not feeling all racey about this one. :)

Event comments:

Great afterparty with famous Bavarian Inn Chicken, cool to see the Elite prize winners, fun award (Christmas ornament that we got customized on site with our stats! Bronners Christmas store in in town!) Great course. Loved the TT start seeding, flat fast bike fun run in town. Frankenmuth is a great touristy place and there were lots of good places to eat/ drink in town. Lots of local teams competed so very social. Loved it!

Last updated: 2015-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:42 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 36/126
Performance: Good
Suit: full zoot
Course: out and back. very simple!
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:52 | 40 miles | 32.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 47/126
Performance: Average
160 avg p, 163 np 151 avg hr, 159 max hr IF .796
Wind: Little
Course: flat and in the farmland. Several turns, a bit of rough road but overall a very fun course. Windy a bit on the way back into town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:43 | 10 miles | 05m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 71/126
Performance: Average
1-9:02 157hr 2-9:04 158 hr 3-9:33 157 (took gu here) 4-9:00 161 5-9:06 162 6-8:47 166 .25 8:42
Course: in and around Frankenmuth with some turns, through River Place Shops, over a couple little bridges. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-08-02 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: The Experience at Frankenmuth Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Experience at Frankenmuth Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Experience at Frankenmuth - Sprint Course

Started by })i({RunnerGirl
Views: 961 Posts: 1

2013-09-13 9:21 AM })i({RunnerGirl

The Experience at Frankenmuth - Sprint Course

Started by jmhubba
Views: 1396 Posts: 1

2013-08-05 2:28 PM jmhubba

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1801 Posts: 2

2007-09-12 6:30 PM MikeB

Started by van_paulus
Views: 1904 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 11:25 AM ChrisM

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2167 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.