Jersey Girl Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 26s
Overall Rank = 308/677
Age Group = F3034
Age Group Rank = 33/59
Pre-race routine:

Ate a three-year-old Luna bar, had a Bai vitamin drink. Drove from Ocean Grove up to Pier Village in Long Branch.
Event warmup:

Took a short run (less than half a mile) up and down boardwalk. Wanted to get in and swim a bit, but was afraid of getting too cold waiting on the beach for my heat to go off (heat 7/14).
Swim
  • 04m 46s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best triathlon swim ever. I won my heat by :37. The water was very calm, but some waves did kick up just before my heat hit the water. I tried to run through it, but lost my footing in the first one, stumbled, and just started swimming like a beast in foot-deep water while others ran alongside me. As far as I can tell, I pulled away from everyone within the first thirty seconds and never saw them again. I tried to stay a bit to the right of the buoy because of the current and thought someone fast was on my left, but I must've just seen a lifeguard because I got to the buoy first, bumped into it with my left shoulder and turned around it. I sighted the buoys really well, just skimming each one, and really cruised through the swim. I had expected to take it back a bit once I got into clear water, but that didn't happen and I was able to keep up the pace pretty well - a pace that MUST have been faster than I've been doing in the pool. I was a little disoriented as I rounded the last buoy because I couldn't see the flags on shore and didn't know what to aim at, but I just kept going until my hand hit bottom and, it turned out, was right on track (I also had some people from the previous heat straggling in near me, so I figured I was on course). Unfortunately, I don't know my real swim time because, from there, I had to run all the way up the beach, up the stairs onto the boardwalk and over it into transition to hit the timer. I assume I was on a 1:20 or better pace. I was really flying. I was a bit dizzy and disoriented upon getting out of the water, probably because my pace was so quick, but it was totally worth it.

(I should also mention that this was my first-ever ocean swim, which I was really nervous about. Up until now, I'd only chosen races in lakes because I didn't know how to deal with ocean waves. I guess that didn't bother me once I got in there . . .)
What would you do differently?:

A little more space around the buoys - I really don't need to run into them. Sight flags on shore better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

This transition was ok. Disoriented and dizzy coming out of the swim meant disoriented and dizzy in transition. I got in there and felt a bit lost when I got to my stuff (I guess practicing transitions would help there), but since I got out of there pretty quickly, I guess it went well.

Have a plan. I didn't know what to do first and my hesitation showed.
Bike
  • 46m 46s
  • 11 miles
  • 14.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't recover from the swim until at least 8 min into the bike. I felt like I couldn't find a comfortable gear and kept switching between my 2-gears. Eventually, I decided that I'd stick with a gear that hurt a bit. I think I built into it, because I didn't feel so bad by the end and clearly went fast (for me). I was able to keep passing people all the way through to the finish.

I raised my bike seat by two inches just a few days ago. This has worked out brilliantly, because I feel like I am pedaling so much better, but it put an awful lot of strain on my legs (I was dead for the rest of the day after a short, easy ride on Wed). I think part of the reason the bike felt icky was because I'm not used to this yet. While it was a good decision, doing it a few weeks ago would have been better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

I came in and racked my bike well, but then forgot what I had to do. I looked around for my headband for a few seconds before realizing it was on my head (I'd decided to put it on under my helmet earlier so I could save time here . . . which didn't work). Then I had trouble getting my watch off my bike and onto my wrist (which I could have been working on while running with the bike earlier). This was fairly quick, but I could shave it down even more.

Have a plan. Know where my stuff is.
Run
  • 30m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at an easy plod, which was all I could manage. The problem was that I really had to pee (I drank WAY too much before this race). I saw one bathroom and ran past it, thinking it was inappropriate for me to run off the course. I ended up really needing it by the end of the first mile, so I ran to another one I saw and, when the women's room was locked, used the men's. I felt much better after this and was able to relax into my pace. I don't feel like I ever ran particularly fast, but it was consistent. When we got down toward the end of the boardwalk, I was expecting to turn right around and really lost it mentally when I realized there were several turns ahead of me. I walked a few times here, though I didn't really need it physically - they were mental breaks. When I got back to the boardwalk, I was determined to run through to the finish, but I still stopped once for a few seconds' mental break. I picked up my pace well through the finish. Overall, though, this was a really good run - it beat the 5K I did a few weeks ago, and that was a stand-alone race!

Not drink so much before the race on such a cool day - while I only lost :45 in the bathroom, I was lucky there was one along the route at all, and needing it really threw off my pace beforehand. I'd also try and maintain a consistent running pace instead of stopping so much near the end. That was totally mental - I had a sense of where I had to go, realized I was wrong, and it was like the rug got pulled out from under me. If I'd gone over the course map beforehand, I would have known the route better and been prepared.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the area for 20 minutes or so, ate a banana, tried to eat a vegetable sub but it was terrible (just tomatoes, shredded lettuce, a bell pepper slice and a huge gob of cheese I didn't want). We stayed for some of the awards as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was an awesome race, coming after a seven year layoff from the sport. I didn't feel great in parts, but I am overall very encouraged by how it went. More training would improve things, of course. Also, replacing my hybrid bike (which I have written in every race report I've ever filled out) would improve my bike leg tremendously.

Interestingly, although I was critical above of my transitions, they were my second best discipline today: I was ranked 236 in T1 and 198 in T2 (there are some benefits to not wearing a wetsuit and not having bike shoes and clip pedals). While I could do better, my current gear has me cruising through them pretty well, and it definitely allowed me to move up some places!

Last updated: 2015-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:46 | 300 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/59
Overall: 4/677
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR thin strap racerback
Course: Out to buoy, north along beach past another buoy, turn at a third buoy toward shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:46 | 11 miles | 14.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/59
Overall: 419/677
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Really nice, flattish ride. Out from transition, down Ocean Ave, over to Second Ave, down to the lake, onto Ocean Ave down into Deal, turn around on local streets, back up Ocean Ave to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:58 | 03 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/59
Overall: 335/677
Performance: Average
Course: Out down boardwalk and back up past finish line to end, then a left and right along some streets before heading back the way we came to the finish. (I really liked having a clear sense of where the finish line was, so this was a good course for me.)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-08-02 3:32 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Jersey Girl Triathlon

2015-08-02 5:57 PM
in reply to: #5132571

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Jersey Girl Triathlon
Congrats and good job!
2015-08-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: lake

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: RE: Jersey Girl Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jersey Girl Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Siren's Triathlon & Sirenita Girl's Triathlon

Started by denny.l
Views: 982 Posts: 1

2008-05-10 1:05 PM denny.l

RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon

Started by sel166
Views: 968 Posts: 1

2006-07-24 11:35 AM sel166

RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 1296 Posts: 9

2006-07-25 8:46 AM lizard

Valley Girl Triathlon

Started by c_cic
Views: 1395 Posts: 3

2006-07-21 10:45 PM racinmason

Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon

Started by paTRIck
Views: 1586 Posts: 4

2006-07-11 8:20 PM immyfish
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.