General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dog protection while running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-02 7:13 PM

User image

Subject: Dog protection while running
A few days ago I was out from my daily run and was attacked by a dog, maybe warned would be a better word than attacked but none the less she drew blood. The situation was her baby puppy ran from the yard towards me and a very busy street. Being a dog lover myself, I stopped and tried to corral the little guy to keep him safe. Momma dog broke free from her owner and wanted to let me know that I was to close to her baby and she got me on the leg. Dogs do not scare me, I remained calm and stood my ground, she retreated quickly. My question for everyone is do you carry anything for protection? I love dogs but would rather not be a chew toy!

2015-08-02 8:15 PM
in reply to: trifish2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Dog protection while running

Nothing on run but have a can of dog repellent on my bike.
2015-08-02 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I usually carry a thing of mace I got at Target, esp if i'm going on a certain trail- there aren't very many people on it but it seems popular with people who walk big dogs without leashes. I'm kind of nervous around dogs and it makes me feel better.
I often take out the mace if I see a dog that makes me nervous. The owners are always like "He won't hurt you" but it encourages them to keep the dog close.
It is a pain, though, with most running shorts.
2015-08-03 5:09 PM

many potential options. mace/pepper spray as others have noted. there's something called pet corrector that makes a noise and blasts compressed air. it just depends on if it's a mean and aggressive dog. pepper spray for really mean and determined dogs. the pet corrector might be enough for a lot of dogs just protecting their property.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dog protection while running Rss Feed