General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Taughannock Falls State Park, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 33m 1s
Overall Rank = 68/81
Age Group = F65-69
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:00 am. 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c plain yogurt, 1T raisins; 1/2 c beet juice with 1/2 c V8 Purple. 2 cups half-caff coffee. Met Gail at 5:00; she drove.
1/2 Hammer Bar at 6:30. Stomach a bit queasy so didn't eat the other half. About 10 oz water.
Checked in, got marked, set up transition.

Event warmup:

Rode bike about 10 minutes to check out equipment. At 6:45 I did Cannonball dynamic stretching routine. (about 10 min.) Then ran 7+ minutes easy plus 4 x (30" accelerations + 90" jogging recovery), plus a little more to check out layout of turn-back loop for the run.
Very brief swim (100 yards) at 7:45 just to get the feel of the chop and check out goggles.
Swim
  • 46m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Watching the first wave of elites, I wondered why so many were apparently going way off course, veering very far to the left of the buoy line. Then I noticed that due to the moderately strong wind, the buoy line itself was hugely bowed to the right. I confirmed with the swim director that the line was anchored only at both ends. The swimmers who were farthest from it were actually making a bee line for the far buoy.
I contemplated my strategy: Start near the left of the pack, assume the wind would be pushing me towards the line; sight on a big boat near the turn-around buoy; breath to the right to avoid the considerable chop. The wind was coming at about 45°, from the front and also the left on the way out, the right on the way back. On the return, stay as close to the line as I could; enjoy the assistance of the waves and breathe mostly to the left.
It was pretty challenging to execute. Because of the height of the waves, I really couldn't see that big boat. I did keep a fair distance from the line, but it was hard to gauge exactly how far to be, and when and how much to angle in toward the turn. I don't think it was too bad, though, and I did land right at that big yellow buoy. My stroke was confident, I was not flustered, and I thought I was maintaining very consistent rhythm at a sustainable pace, although I knew it was slow due to the conditions. I was able to draft some during the first couple hundred yards; but this wave was women 35 and over and most were a lot faster than me.
I thought that the return would be easier, but it was actually quite tricky. I wanted to stay as close to the line as I could, but the waves were pushing me away from it. When I breathed to the right to keep sight of the line, I was breathing chop. I settled into my regular bilateral breathing pattern, but I did a lot more wandering from left to right than is efficient.
I knew my time would be slower than I had hoped and it was, by about 6 minutes. I think I had a good strong swim though, with a positive mental attitude; wasn't hurried or anxious, was tired but not overly tired when I exited the water. I wore my nausea bands but one fell off; no seasickness as I have sometimes had in choppy water.
Nutrition: caffeinated gel 30 minutes before start.

What would you do differently?:

I suspected as I was swimming against the wind that the little glide that is part of my TI stroke might be working against me, but I didn't want to try to make changes in the midst of this swim. I'm sure Scott will help me with that.
I need to work on sighting technique.
What I'd do the same: always watch the earlier waves to see how conditions are effecting the swim.

Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I spent too much time fiddling with my Garmin while running to transition area. I had practiced over & over again getting it set up in advance for the run, but my button-pushing was fumbly. When I was taking off my wetsuit legs, I knocked my helmet & sunglasses off the handlebars. Not my best transition. I may have been more tired than I thought.
Nevertheless, my time was 13th among all women, 43rd among all finishers.
Ate 3 Clif Bloks in T area without missing a beat.

Wear the Garmin in the water, but just stop it; set up the run when starting the run.
Put on helmet & glasses before kicking the wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 34s
  • 24.3 miles
  • 15.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The mount was good and the first foot-in also, but I had trouble getting my second foot in the shoe, which slowed me down as I approached the first big hill.
I tried quite hard to keep power in the 75-83% range throughout, (110-121 watts) but at the top of that range. On the big hills I had no more easy gears & had to let the power rise, but not beyond ftp at least. On these hills I felt like I was just taking a Sunday cruise in the park compared to the effort I could see others making.
By the time I got to the Sprint turn-around point I thought, "This isn't too bad. I'm having so much fun I never want to do another Sprint." (I changed my tune when I got to mile 4 of the run!)
My average power was over the top of my target by only 3 watts, which was better than any other ride, but maybe not quite good enough.
My other goal was to keep cadence 90-95 as much as possible. I was very successful here, as my average of 90 for the whole ride included those slow uphills as well as the descents.
Nutrition: 6 Hammer Perpetuem solids, 1 every 15 minutes; 6 Endurolyte caps; full 40 oz of water.

I will continue to improve my cycling power, and my ability to regulate my wattage output during a ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

It was a good, clean transition. Shoes on the right feet.
14th among all women, 39th among all 219 finishers.
Run
  • 1h 09m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel too bad off the bike, except that one of the adductor muscles in my left upper leg hurt, and continued to hurt throughout the run (and hurts now). My Tempo Trainer, which I use to try to keep my run cadence at 176 bpm, in training & sometimes in races, fell off my hat; so I had to mentally concentrate on trying to keep my cadence up.
My HR stayed at 135-139 (85-87% of max) throughout and it felt ok, so I just left it there. At one point my left glute started to hurt, but I "breathed into it" and visualized the lactate flowing down my leg into the ground. Along with easing up on the gas just a little, it worked! I did walk up the 2 little hills on the 2nd time around because I didn't want HR to go higher. I had enough left to push harder the last 1/2 mile and especialy the last 100 yards.
Then I sort of collapsed from heat exhaustion.
Nutrition: Hammer Heed in the 12-oz water bottle. Caffeinated gel at 3 miles. At the water stops, poured it on my head & back. Drank a bit of water at 2 stops on the second loop.

Take a couple of Endurolyte caps on the run.
Think about actually drinking at the water stops, at this distance.
Drink more before the race?
Post race
Warm down:

I wanted to find my bag & get my recovery drink, or walk over to the lake and lie in it to cool down, or maybe just head over to the medical tent; but I didn't have the strength to do any of these, so I just lay on the ground until a volunteer asked if I needed help. She summoned the medical people. They helped me over to the medical tent, where they sat me in from of some fans with an ice blanket on my back, giving me Gatorade & fig bars. After awhile they pronounced me ok & sent me on my way. Gail helped me pack & load my stuff, & drove home, but not before I ate a a big cup of ice cream & got my award. I also ate my 1/2 recovery bar & drank my Recoverite and another 20 oz of water. At home I hydrated more, had some Fizz, rested and then rolled & stretched. Ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Based on my recent training, I had estimated my overall time to be between 3:18 and 3:33, so I was right there with 3:33:01. Considering the difficult swim conditions, I'm not at all unhappy with my time.
I certainly didn't leave anything in the bank.
I'll see if some changes to my swim stroke help my speed without sacrificing my hard-won relaxed feeling.

Event comments:

This has to be one of the most lovely triathlons anywhere, with the swim in scenic Cayuga Lake & the bike along its side, and the trail run by the creek up to glorious Taughannock Falls. It's also an unusual race in that, except for the timers, it is run entirely by local volunteers, a warm and spirited bunch over 200 strong. So many businesses & people from the community support the event in other ways, there is just a unique atmosphere here.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:06 | 1640 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 73/81
Performance: Good
Suit: long-sleeved Blue Seventy
Course: Straight out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:34:34 | 24.3 miles | 15.42 mile/hr
Overall: 63/81
Wind: Some
Course: 1st 2 miles is a big ascent; then a lot of rolling hills; then a big descent into a cute lakeside village, with a sharp corner at the bottom; then of course the climb back up and then return from there on the same route
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:09:37 | 06.2 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 68/81
Course: The first 5/8 mile is on grass which, while level, is a bit soft & will slow you down. It's also the last 5/8 mile because the course is an out and back. Then after two very short hills there's 3/4 mile of lovely trail which is always harder than it looks because it's a steady, if slight, uphill. Then you round a bend, cross a footbridge, and are at the bottom of the tallest waterfall east of the Rockies! That's the turn-around. For the Intermediate distance, you do this course twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-08-04 4:23 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course

2015-08-04 12:42 PM
in reply to: #5132893

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Cayuga Lake Tri is one of the best run triathlons I have ever participated in.  The course volunteers are incredibly energetic and helpful, the course is beautiful and I love that this group of volunteers pulls off the kids race, the sprint and Oly simultaneously.  

Those swim conditions sound brutal, you did a great job planning a strategy and keeping your wits in a tough swim!  Well done!

Will you try the Intermediate course again?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by mpento17
Views: 1150 Posts: 1

2013-09-03 10:13 AM mpento17

Started by mollypocket
Views: 1134 Posts: 1

2013-08-06 10:35 AM mollypocket

Started by dexter
Views: 1677 Posts: 4

2012-08-07 3:22 PM Ridgelake

Started by sbradley11
Views: 1053 Posts: 1

2012-08-06 10:40 AM sbradley11

Started by failtestrength
Views: 985 Posts: 1

2012-08-06 9:48 AM failtestrength
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : January 9, 2008
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.