General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pulled butt muscle treatment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-04 4:49 AM

Subject: Pulled butt muscle treatment
Been training 3 months for my 1st sprint tri, which is in 4 days! Friday I biked and then while running I had a sharp pain in my butt that ran down my leg. I have rested over the weekend by doing other exercises and ran again last night. Had a dull ache until I hit the 2mile mark and the hot pain was there, more pronounced in my butt than anything. Took a hot bath and woke up in the middle of the night in pain. Moving hurts. I'm sitting on a cold pack, but I don't know if it's helping. Anyone experienced this injury? Any quick recovery tips? I might rearrange my last couple days of training to exclude running, but I need to be able to run for the race Saturday.

2015-08-04 7:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pulled butt muscle treatment
Hope I am wrong but this sounds like an upper hamstring pull or at best a strain. Have dealt with this stuff for years ever since a traumatic injury (falling on ice) and unfortunately there aren't any quick recovery tips. Ice, heat, anti-inflammatories, etc. are fine for acute pain but you really shouldn't do anything that aggravates the injury, particularly running and particularly hard running. My guess is that the race would be out. I'd stick to whatever activity doesn't make it worse (swimming should be okay, biking might be depending on the location of the strain and your position on the bike) until you have no more pain, then get back to cycling and/or running very slowly, starting with easy spinning and jogging. For even a minor strain, recovery is usually a matter of a few weeks rather than a few days, and it could easily be several months for a more severe one. Once the acutely painful phase has passed, foam rolling and deep tissue or trigger point massage can help to loosen up the area and break up scar tissue.

Don't take hamstring issues lightly--I think my issues started when I tried to get back to running too quickly after the initial injury, which sounds similar to yours. That was about 15 years ago and, while I no longer have pain when running on a day to day basis (I did for over 12 years), I still have to be extra careful with preventive stretching, strengthening, and warmup, especially when I'm running a lot of mileage or doing more speedwork, and that muscle will still let me know if I've been neglecting those, as well as after hard races or prolonged periods of sitting.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-04 7:12 AM
2015-08-04 7:13 AM
in reply to: Violet9885

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
It seems like a hamstring. You might try the kineso tape and check youtube how to tape it even you are able to race. Ultrasoundwill also help if you can get into a therpaist.Hamstrings are tricky.
2015-08-04 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

google "piriformis" and "piriformis syndrome" and see if any of the symptoms match.
2015-08-05 8:05 PM
in reply to: #5132895

I have a medical massage therapist looking at it tomorrow. It does seem to be a gluteal strain or tear, and not my hamstring. But some of the symptoms do match up. And I do believe I will require more time to heal than I was hoping it would need. Thanks, everyone.
2015-08-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Stillman Valley, Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Hope I am wrong but this sounds like an upper hamstring pull or at best a strain. Have dealt with this stuff for years ever since a traumatic injury (falling on ice) and unfortunately there aren't any quick recovery tips. Ice, heat, anti-inflammatories, etc. are fine for acute pain but you really shouldn't do anything that aggravates the injury, particularly running and particularly hard running. My guess is that the race would be out. I'd stick to whatever activity doesn't make it worse (swimming should be okay, biking might be depending on the location of the strain and your position on the bike) until you have no more pain, then get back to cycling and/or running very slowly, starting with easy spinning and jogging. For even a minor strain, recovery is usually a matter of a few weeks rather than a few days, and it could easily be several months for a more severe one. Once the acutely painful phase has passed, foam rolling and deep tissue or trigger point massage can help to loosen up the area and break up scar tissue.

Don't take hamstring issues lightly--I think my issues started when I tried to get back to running too quickly after the initial injury, which sounds similar to yours. That was about 15 years ago and, while I no longer have pain when running on a day to day basis (I did for over 12 years), I still have to be extra careful with preventive stretching, strengthening, and warmup, especially when I'm running a lot of mileage or doing more speedwork, and that muscle will still let me know if I've been neglecting those, as well as after hard races or prolonged periods of sitting.

Hot Runner is offering some pretty good advice here. I have been nursing similar problems (tight hip capsule along with minor upper ham pull, with some piriformis mixed in). Don't rush this, be smart. Don't even consider the fact that kinesiology tape will even begin to help or fix this problem

2015-10-13 4:51 AM

These exercises can be done to get rid of pain:
1, Stretching the muscles
2. try using a tennis ball to reach trigger points
3. Icing down area with the butt muscle pain can help. Ice can be applied to the area 3 to 5 times each day for 20 minutes.
4. Give the muscles a chance to recover.
Pain that does not improve within a few days may require a trip to your doctor. Medications are often prescribed to decrease inflammation and pain caused by a muscle strain. But it is always recommended to go for physio therapy for any unbearable pain or inflammation. Custom Foot Orthotics treatment ( http://aesm.ca/custom-foot-orthotics/) can help recognize and reduce pain
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pulled butt muscle treatment Rss Feed