General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Ridge 5 Mile, Half-Marathon and 50km Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Ridge 5 Mile, Half-Marathon and 50km Run - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Issaquah, Washington
United States
Evergreen Trail Runs
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 46m 40s
Overall Rank = 6/60
Age Group = All Female
Age Group Rank = 1/35
Pre-race routine:

Took the ferry right after work and met my Mom (who was in town from CA) brother and sister. Had a great dinner and maybe one too many beers. Oops!
Event warmup:

I had a tough previous week from the National Championships, the Summit of South Sister and a regular week of training. On top of that I was doing some strides after my easy run the day before and I just think I did them too hard and/or too fast. Between waking up with a slight hangover and my dead legs, I was a little nervous going into this race. I am neck in neck with another girl in the series standings. I absolutely have to win overall, the next two races to guarantee 1st.

I ran easy a couple miles and then did some strides, not too hard.

I was hydrating like crazy because it was HOT out. I peed like 4 times before the start.

Run
  • 46m 40s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up and relaxed. After lots of hydrating and the caffeine, I was starting to feel better. But man oh man did my legs feel dead. I looked around the racers wondering what females I would have to watch out for. None of them looked familiar. I stopped worrying about it because I realized it really didn't matter. I would run the best race I was capable of running, no matter who my competition was.

No one wanted to line up at the front. It was the strangest thing! Everyone was standing in a line at least a foot from the start line. Well, whatever, I moved right up to the line. I mean, c'mon guys, this is a competition after all...

Finally the countdown was here and suddenly there I was, running.

I fell into a comfortable pace and us runners strung out a bit. There were about 7-8 of us in a pack and by the time we got to the turn everyone else had to be at least 30 seconds behind including any females.

This is a relentless and challenging climb, however, completely runnable. I put my head down and worked hard. Not looking up. I passed a couple of men by the time we hit the top.

During the long downhill portion I let two guys pass me, not wanting to slow them up. The downhill portion of this run is quite challenging. You are essentially running in a dry creek bed so it is very rocky. No wanting to twist an ankle I took it cautiously.

Another guy passed me on the downhill but I easily overtook him on the next long climb. We came to a long switch across the ravine where you could look back on what you had just run and I still didn't see anyone else.

We hit the next long climb that was exposed in the sun and I was really struggling to keep running. Not wanting to lose my rhythm and walk, I pushed through and made it to the top. The bad thing about the "top" here is that it's a long false flat. I felt so entirely slow and was worried another female might catch me at any moment.

I tried my best to capitalize on the downhill and increased my turnover. Finally we hit the true descent and I knew if I could just nail this downhill, I could take the win.

I tried to stay light and fast. Around one corner there was a photographer who said, "Keep it up! The boys are struggling. I think you can catch them!"

This was totally motivating. Sometimes being a woman competing alongside men can be really hard but I will tell you most of the time they are really supportive and encouraging.
I in fact did manage to chase down one of them men, overtake him and hold him off to the finish. I crossed first woman, 6th overall.

I exchanged high-fives with the guys who were standing around and we BSed a bit. Everyone was so nice. While I wouldn't say I was in top form for this race, I would say that I ran it well. The biggest factor was heat. My time was 3 minutes slower than the last time I ran it!

As I was walking back to my car a dude drove towards me and rolled down his window. I recognized him from the run. He shouted, "I FINALLY BEAT YOU! WOOOOO!!!' I was almost startled by his shouting. It took me a second but then I replied, "yeah. Good job!" I didn't really know what to say lol it was kind of odd. I don't think he was trying to be a jerk or anything but the interaction was just kind of awkward.

What would you do differently?:

Well, I certainly wouldn't be hungover or do my shakeout run so irresponsibly.

The other stuff that contributed to being kind of dead were more or less just part of my progressive training. Plus the heat I cannot control :)
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and then headed up and ran a portion of the PCT up to Silver Peak and back for some training.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hangover
Fatigue
Heat

Event comments:

Evergreen Trail Runs are always well organized

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:40 | 05 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 6/60
Performance: Below average
Course: This is maybe the second most challenging course in the series. It starts on a mellow decline on a jeep trail down to a 180 turn up the ridge onto singletrack that switchbacks up steeply. At the top you descend a little and then there are two more steep climbs followed by a long false flat before you descend.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-04 1:59 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Grand Ridge 5 Mile, Half-Marathon and 50km Run

2015-08-04 2:46 PM
in reply to: #5133023

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Grand Ridge 5 Mile, Half-Marathon and 50km Run

Great job, in spite of the hangover

A first for the series would be awesome, and well within your capability!

That dude's comment, awkward yes, but sort of a backhanded compliment that he thought of you as the person he needed to beat. Hopefully because you are highly identifiable and not because you are a woman.

2015-08-04 2:54 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Great job once again! You are definitely a force to be reckoned with!!
2015-08-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
double post

Edited by Jet Black 2015-08-04 2:55 PM
2015-08-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

Awesome job - congratulations! Next time, one less beer though 

2015-08-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by rrrunner

That dude's comment, awkward yes, but sort of a backhanded compliment that he thought of you as the person he needed to beat. Hopefully because you are highly identifiable and not because you are a woman.

Congrats Adrienne on another great race.  I agree that the dude's comment might have been odd but he respected you enough that it was a great accomplishment for him to compete with you.  I'd be darn proud if I ever beat you or even finished in the same zip code (it'll never happen though).  Keep up the good work.

2015-08-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by popsracer

Congrats Adrienne on another great race.  I agree that the dude's comment might have been odd but he respected you enough that it was a great accomplishment for him to compete with you.  I'd be darn proud if I ever beat you or even finished in the same zip code (it'll never happen though).  Keep up the good work.

Adrienne, I agree with Steve.  It seems you have a target on your back, and not simply from the ladies.  Wear it with pride, you have worked your arse of to earn that.  

Well done on the race as well.  Congratulations!!!

2015-08-05 12:24 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by popsracer

Adrienne, I agree with Steve.  It seems you have a target on your back, and not simply from the ladies.  Wear it with pride, you have worked your arse of to earn that.  

Well done on the race as well.  Congratulations!!!

Haha yeah, it's so funny because I guess I am just not all that competitive the way some people are. BUT that being said, now I want to go kick this dudes butt in another race. Like, pass him on the uphill and do my best to look like I am not trying very hard.

2015-08-05 12:51 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

"I stopped worrying about it because I realized it really didn't matter. I would run the best race I was capable of running, no matter who my competition was."  Words to live by.

Great race, way to show the ladies and the men how it's done!  WTH with the guy yelling out his window at you?!  Weird.  Congrats, oh speedy one!

2015-08-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You are such a beast on the hills --both up and down.  Do you train a lot of hill repeats or have you just found your inner beast to ascend and descend so well?

Sweet 1st place female--cause you were bold up front hitting the front of the start up line and held them all off.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Ridge 5 Mile, Half-Marathon and 50km Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Grand Ridge Trail Marathon

Started by crusty
Views: 802 Posts: 1

2012-08-14 10:46 AM crusty

Heels and Hills and Him Half Marathon, 5K, and 1 Mile Fun Run

Started by KSH
Views: 2260 Posts: 13

2009-10-06 1:05 PM PinkPrincess

Cross Ridge Community Hospital Midsouth Marathon & Half Marathon

Started by ccollins2
Views: 939 Posts: 1

2006-11-10 10:08 AM ccollins2

Skyline Ridge Half-Marathon

Started by can_80_n
Views: 820 Posts: 1

2005-05-05 4:34 PM can_80_n

Skyline Ridge Half Marathon

Started by mfabry
Views: 816 Posts: 1

2005-04-24 10:56 PM mfabry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.