General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner Kidney Transplant Athlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-04 4:04 PM

User image

Subject: Beginner Kidney Transplant Athlete
Hello everyone! Thanks for having me.

I just joined this site today to find information that I can use to better myself on my journey. I attended the first training session of the local triathlon club here in Orlando, Florida this morning and it felt great! I'm just started training after receiving a kidney transplant last year due to a hereditary illness. I found out about the Transplant Games of America and the World Transplant Games through one of the nurses at the hospital. They are competitions that draw thousands of athletes for a wide variety of sports. Of those I'm considering participating in are swimming, cycling and running. I just recently got accepted to participate in the 2016 Transplant Games of America in Cleveland, OH as a member of Team Florida. I'm thrilled!

I have a long way to go before June 2016 arrives. I just started turning up the intensity on my workouts due to my doctor finally giving me the all clear. I'm 27 years old and was born with a hereditary kidney disease, Alport Syndrome. Alport Syndrome is a rare disease that my parents were aware of soon after I was born. After I graduated college with a BA in Political Science in 2011 is when my kidneys took a sharp decline. I was on dialysis for almost two years before finally getting the call in April 2014 for transplant. The transplant has been a success and I'm just living every day so grateful for the blessing I've been given.

You're probably wondering why this has anything to do with why I'm doing this. Well, I want to honor my organ donor who is no longer on this earth for her sacrifice. I started a YouTube channel about my travels and adventures honoring my organ donor (www.youtube.com/robbiesroad). I'm not doing it for fame or anything like that, but rather to bring attention to kidney disease and let those who suffer from it (especially younger folk) that it is not a death sentence and that things will be okay. I decided to go back to school for Nursing so that one day I can help those in my situation a little further. I start my second semester later this month and I'm thrilled to be one step closer to graduation.

I just purchased my first pair of running shoes, well, at least quality running shoes (pair of Hoka Cliftons as I'm a heftier fellow at around 200 pounds and need the support). Now, I'm slowly saving for a bike (dang they are expensive) which I have a feeling is going to take some time since I'm in school, but for now I can use the spinning bikes at the gym. I look forward to continuing this journey and sharing it all with you. Thank you all for having me here. Cheers!

2015-08-06 6:14 AM
in reply to: myarr

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Beginner Kidney Transplant Athlete
Welcome!

Good for you! Good luck with training and enjoy your journey :-)

This site is awesome and you will get lots of information.

Happy training!

Alicia
2015-08-06 8:33 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Subject: RE: Beginner Kidney Transplant Athlete
Originally posted by trirun26

Welcome!

Good for you! Good luck with training and enjoy your journey :-)

This site is awesome and you will get lots of information.

Happy training!

Alicia

Thank you, Alicia!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner Kidney Transplant Athlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yet another BEGINNER beginner....HI!

Started by robyntri
Views: 1513 Posts: 6

2010-09-17 2:18 PM McFuzz

Hoosier transplanted into Buckeye country

Started by dac1517
Views: 983 Posts: 4

2010-06-02 7:32 PM k_watzek

new to beginner athlete

Started by hillary09
Views: 966 Posts: 7

2009-05-14 11:35 AM juniperjen

Double Lung Transplant Ironman In The House

Started by Dbl Lung Txt Ironman
Views: 1662 Posts: 21

2009-01-09 11:29 AM jdwright56

Transplanted to Arizona

Started by Rocknfire
Views: 835 Posts: 5

2008-08-23 6:39 AM BHannahs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As an athlete, you are unlikely obese, but you may have concerns about your weight or have relatives who struggle with their weight.

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : October 20, 2008
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Practice these three workouts each week for 4 weeks. Just complete the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 3, 2005
The purpose of this article is to look at caffeine (most commonly consumed as coffee) as part of a sports diet and to help you determine whether you want to take it or leave it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : December 13, 2004
author : malvey
Advice on how to get started with a fitness lifestyle - for parents and grandparents.