General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st HIM age 40 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-05 9:54 AM

Subject: 1st HIM age 40
Hi All,

New to the forum and fairly new to tri's. I have only ran one sprint a few years ago.

Having been a runner for the better part of 5 years due to my sons doing XC and track, and talking about getting away from the same old 1/2 marathons every year, I decided to start my prep on this TRI in Oceanside,CA. I tried to sign up a few times but missed out due to the popularity of it. This year I was right on top of registration and signed up immediately. This put me approximately 9months out for training.

I have lined up several sprints and a oly in preparation, but I'm also doing a couple of bike races and 1/2 marathons along the training path. I'm down to 8 months and so far I am doing well.

swimming everyday in my pool, but not long distance or open water yet. starting that this week.
biking 3 days a week now usually 1hr ride during the middle of the week and weekends are up to 1:45 hrs.
running is 3 days a week also at max this week 7 miles on the weekend.

no brick training yet, but was thinking of a 13 mile bike today and a 2mile run around the block just to get started.

I am looking for training partner in Huntington Beach, but so far no luck.

Thanks for reading my long post.

2015-08-05 3:09 PM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: 1st HIM age 40
great !

but I'd caution you to work with some sort of training plan in mind. too much will just burn you out.
You'll want to peak for the race. 8 months is a long time.
2015-08-05 7:27 PM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
I agree with using a training plan. They really will help with utilizing proper time for each sport, intensity of the sport and using recovery weeks.

Good luck and welocme to the group.

The forums are a great place to get info and opinions
2015-08-06 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'd also suggest some sort of structured training plan.  Sounds like you're just kind of winging it and while that will get you across the finish line, a structured plan will make it an overall better experience.

The sprint, oly, bike, and running races are great fun and great for fitness but too much racing also means less structured training on weekends towards the 70.3/HIM goal.  A sprint or oly race will tell you almost nothing when it comes to your prep for a HIM.  Anyone can fake their way through a sprint or oly race.  You pretty much can't do that at the 70.3 distance (and certainly can't do it at the IM distance).  Having fun is the most important thing so if racing tons is your fun then have at it but just know there are consequences to doing that.

You mentioned brick training.  What do you consider brick training and why?  Most newcomers to tri hear about bricks and blindly go down the wrong path with them.  They think there's some magical fitness earned from running tired, slow, and crappy after a hard bike ride.  NOT HOW IT WORKS.  Heck, many experienced folks do as well.

Here's what a "brick" can be good for:

• Super time crunched.  It's either do bike/run workouts at the same time or not do them at all.
  • Race rehearsals.  This is where you'd ride for three hours at race pace and raceday nutrition.  Then do a hour run after.  This is done to test your bike pacing and nutrition, and only done two or three times in the weeks/months leading up to your race.  Not what I'd consider a brick but I guess it fits the description.
  • What I consider a brick.  A bike ride followed by a very short run (like 15 minutes).

Here's what's not optimal.  Running long (or long-ish) after riding.  All your doing is running tired, running slow, running sloppy. etc.  Running on fresh legs is ALWAYS a better option than running with tired legs.  There is no magical fitness obtained from running long after biking.  Despite popular misconceptions.

2015-08-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I do in fact have a training plan, but it's built around my time available with a slow ramping approach. I take time off when needed of course. learned that when running my last 2 marathons. The races are just to test my training methods and nutritional plans as I increase the intensity. Hope that works out the way I'm planning.

I like the brick training explanation, and that's exactly what I had in mind. Had a nice strong ride yesterday and ran a couple miles focusing on form and not going too fast.

Thanks again,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st HIM age 40 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

40 week program?

Started by divemed06
Views: 6640 Posts: 9

2011-11-15 11:42 AM divemed06

40 slots now available for Timberman Ironman 70.3

Started by KEJ
Views: 707 Posts: 2

2009-06-15 9:08 AM Joe_h

40 weeks to IMFL (1-28-07)

Started by jcjsc00
Views: 1325 Posts: 11

2007-02-05 2:28 PM bestbets

Is everyone's age/age group listed correctedly for LP 2007

Started by oceanannie
Views: 1009 Posts: 6

2006-08-10 8:18 PM burniect

40 days till Hombre de Hierro (Iron-distance)

Started by dragoman
Views: 960 Posts: 4

2005-04-06 4:32 PM charles81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : March 10, 2011
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.