General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy Gels and Alternatives Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-06 1:43 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Energy Gels and Alternatives
I have never used one, but find during my bricks I'm craving some energy and usually eat a banana or apple immediately afterwards cause that's what I'm craving.

After searching through dozens of gels I'm left with a few questions:

1. What are some good energy gels or options that are lighter on the stomach? My stomach isn't as strong as it used to be and the idea of eating a protein bar while biking just sounds like a terrible idea for me.

2. Why caffeine?! Doesn't this dehydrate you and make you sweat more? It seems every energy gel I see has caffeine in them. Why?

3. What's up with beet juice? I have never heard about this until reading it here, and see it is high in nitrates, but not sure how this benefits us or if it is recommended to take on the go.

I'm looking for something to help me hydrate, get some electrolytes, vitamins and minerals, as well as a couple extra calories (or sugars?) for some replenishment.

I've considered keeping something simple like a small pack of applesauce, hummus, as well as a gatorade/water mix (or now beet juice?) in my bottle, but I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Any recommendations?

2015-08-08 12:49 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Energy Gels and Alternatives
I generally use gels only for racing (Oly and longer) or for long runs over 90 minutes. For longer training rides I prefer energy bars or real food (fruit, nuts, chocolate, PBJ). For my last two HIM I actually used dark chocolate instead of gels on the bike, and it worked fine for me.

1. Everyone varies in what they can tolerate. I find that the thinner gels go down better at race intensity. In training, I really like some of the thicker gels like Cliff Turbo Chocolate Cherry and Gu Roctane Chocolate Raspberry, but I've gagged and even puked on them in races. Power Bar gels tend to have a thinner texture, particularly the fruit flavors, as do some of the Hammer gel flavors like apple cinnamon. The latter is one of the few gels that to me actually tastes like the advertised flavor--it tastes like apple pie filling. The rest pretty much just taste like sugar and salt. But I have wacko taste buds--super-sensitive to sweet tastes-- so maybe I am not the best to judge this.

2. Caffeine in the levels present in the gels will not seriously dehydrate most people with reasonable intake. Caffeine has been shown to improve aerobic performance and reduce perceived effort. I find it most useful in keeping energy/alertness levels up in the later stages of longer races and rides. Probably it is partly a placebo effect and partly due to its being a central nervous system stimulant. Definitely experiment with amounts/timing before racing with it--people's tolerance and the benefit they derive from it varies.

3. Supposedly there is some benefit to beet juice (increasing aerobic capacity? Forget.) but there is no way I am taking that in before or during a race. Blech! Nothing against beets in a salad, but the idea of beet juice on race day is just not appealing. I don't drink much juice anyway due to the high sugar content--prefer to actually eat the fruit or veggie. Definitely the kind of thing to try out in training before even considering it in your race day plan.
2015-08-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Sarasota, Florida
Thanks a lot.
I think my last brick was just during rough conditions.
On my mountain bike against strong wind in a lot of heat and humidity.
Halfway into the run I was pretty hungry and that's the first time I ever felt hungry while training so thought I would experiment early since I really want to accomplish an Oly one day.

I appreciate all of your feedback.
In a similar thread Honeystinger caught my interest so might give them a try but I just ran a practice sprint today and held up just fine energy wise.

Thanks for clearing up the caffeine confusion too.
2015-08-09 12:42 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I thin there's no need for most people to take in nutrition in a sprint. If you want a few calories, you could put some sports drink in your water bottle on the bike, and/or take some in on the run. I normally just have calorie free electrolyte drink, but if something's on offer that I like on the run, I might take a few swallows of it just for variety. But in general, the duration is too short and intensity too high (if actually racing) to want/need much.
2016-09-20 7:38 AM

User image

Caffeine is thought to speed up the absorption of the sugar so the gels work faster. Also they add the perception of pep. There is actually pretty solid research that caffeine does aid sport performance. I don't think it is enough to contribute to dehydration but if you are sensitive to caffeine it is enough to quickly cause GI distress. I speak from experience there.

Beet juice ... well beets are super healthy. But they taste like dirt to me so I don't eat them or drink them. They are a new hot thing. I don't think it's a during thing. I think it's to help you recover more efficiently. I'm not sure its the nitrates but the iron and stuff that they have in them that make them so great.

There are a ton of gel options out there. If you want something very neutral on your stomach you can try something that is chia seed based like Huma or 33 shake or honey stinger which is basically just honey. Hammer gels, GU gels, Cliff gels and Powerbar gels are I think all maltodextrin, Glukos is a different blend of well glucose, Skratch bites are sugar based, Sport beans are smaller portions.

Did I leave any out ... what are the other gel options?
2016-09-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
If you're looking for a thinner textured gel with flavors that match the package, I recommend VFuel gels. I like the Peach Cobbler! I also went with Skratch Labs fruit drops on the bike, if you want something to chew but nothing as heavy as a bar. Bearing in mind that's all for race day. During training I usually keep a pack of Nature's Bakery Fig Bars in my pocket. I'm very food motivated, and nothing like a fruit cookie as a reward for hill repeats!

2016-09-20 10:06 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
I always prefer something that has a slightly savory flavor. I never liked GU until I had the Vanilla. Now my go to is peanut butter. It's almost like eating pb w/out it sticking to the roof of your mouth.
2016-09-20 11:03 AM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Denver, Colorado
The amount of caffeine in gel or energy bar will not be enough to cause any harm. As a matter of fact, your hydration plan should start at least a week before the race day, and not on the bike. I need to have a coffee before the race, I am not sure if it has something to do with blood pressure or what, but after half-marathons I have this huge headache. But it could be the sun too

I would suggest trying various things during the training and see what makes you feel better or worse. I had gel once and wanted to puke for three days.... I usually do dark chocolate and gummy bears during the race. For about two weeks prior to race day I drink Nuun, Pedialyte, or some other hydration supplements.
2016-09-20 12:24 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

During prolonged exercise, take in carbs for fuel.  The easiest ways to do this are usually in the form of gels or drinks.  The more sensitive your stomach is, the more you should steer away from fructose which is generally more difficult to absorb.  Also, the more concentrated the calories (eg, gels or certain calorie-heavy drinks--typically concentrated mixes), the more you should make sure you take water along with it to ease absorption.

Caffeine is thought to enhance performance in some cases.  But it's not necessary (while fluids and fuel are).

No idea on beet juice but definitely in the 'not necessary' category.

2016-09-20 1:05 PM

User image

, North Carolina
1. Most gels will do what you are asking. Calories/sugar. But won't hydrate
2. Caffeine is amazing. How do you get by with none? Coffee is my go to.
3. Beet Juice is the new hot thing. But, just read a summary of a study that said it's peak benefit is around 2 to 3 hours after eating it. So, mid ride won't do much. Unless you are going on a really long ride.

Go down to the local run/bike shop or something like REI and get a few gels that you think you might like and give them a try. Some folks do carry 'real' food with them while the ride. I've taken bananas with me, small squeezable kids apple sauce, fig newtons.

You could also always take some gatoraid or any number of sugar/electrolyte drinks on the market(there are tons)

I did Infinit Nutrition during my last race and it worked well for me. It's just basically and sugar/water mixture(but way better).

Remember that what every you are eating now will be fueling you 45 min from now. A gel with less that 45 minutes left in a workout is a fairly mute point.
2016-09-20 1:27 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Atlantia If you're looking for a thinner textured gel with flavors that match the package, I recommend VFuel gels. I like the Peach Cobbler! I also went with Skratch Labs fruit drops on the bike, if you want something to chew but nothing as heavy as a bar. Bearing in mind that's all for race day. During training I usually keep a pack of Nature's Bakery Fig Bars in my pocket. I'm very food motivated, and nothing like a fruit cookie as a reward for hill repeats!

I just "discovered" the VFuel this weekend. I tried it on a run and loved it.  I don't like the thick consistency of most gels. I like Honey Stinger but they seem to go straight through me, the VFuel seemed to be a nice thinner consistency and no GI issues!  I tried the chocolate and citrus. I thought the citrus was better. I'll have to try the peach cobbler next.

2016-09-20 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
My friend would make her own fuel out of sweet potatoes.

Another friend eats fruit rollups from Costco...lol

I personally eat stuff like Cliff bars, Power bars, and stinger gummies.

One gel that I think is very good and naturally based, is Ignite Reload...which is made out of figs. Tasty and is different from the usual gel.

Here are 4 gels that are worth taking a look at ..
http://running.competitor.com/2012/09/nutrition/four-energy-gels-wo...

2016-09-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Denver, Colorado
Nothing can beat this

(Haribos for runners!!.png)

Attachments
----------------
Haribos for runners!!.png (82KB - 17 downloads)
2016-09-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Nothing can beat this

Unless you are racing when it's hot

2016-09-20 3:37 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by marysia83 Nothing can beat this

Unless you are racing when it's hot

Lol, true! I remember Karen's story of a lady who just placed them in some sort of bike-box. It melted, but then hardened, and made it a big hard blob. It was so hard she could've just pick the whole bike with that blob....

My story with gummy bears was that it was super cold and when I started running I could not keep up with my breathing - basically, my jaws did not work, so whole bunch of gummy bears were just sitting in my cheeks. I was like a hamster
2016-09-20 3:53 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro

here's the deal.  For short races or training- let's say under 2hrs.  You don't need to eat anything.  just hydration, or sports drink (i.e. gatorade) salt/sugar liquid is fine.

For longer runs (marathon, HIM+) you pretty much need to take in calories or you run out of glycogen stores and bonk.  Couple that with as intensity increases- the number of foods you can digest will become smaller and smaller.  So- a very long, low intensity race (ultras, IM's) you can eat some real food.  But for Oly, marathon and HIM distances, your intensity level is likely high enough such that it's difficult to eat solid food, yet you need to take in more calories than you can get from sports drinks.  in come Gels. (or sport beans, or shot bloks).  They're basically flavored concentrated salts and sugars to keep you going.  They're designed to be easy to digest, easy to carry with you in all environments, and to be taken in small ~100Kcal doses.  Sure- you might find pretzels just as easy to digest- but they're quite a bit harder to carry in your shorts than a gel packet.  Most find that it's easier to down food on the bike than while running.

you really just need to try a bunch to see what you like.  I personally like the Shot Bloks, as I can take them one at a time (I think they're ~30Kcal/blok) and I don't get sticky fingers.  I've never been able to down a gel without getting all sticky.  For long hot runs where I sweat a lot, I'll use the margarita flavor (extra salt) or e-gels.  On race day I'll make sure I take in some with caffeine for that extra little lift.  (it is a performance enhancing drug that's legal)

enjoy your journey.

2016-09-21 9:13 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Atlantia If you're looking for a thinner textured gel with flavors that match the package, I recommend VFuel gels. I like the Peach Cobbler! I also went with Skratch Labs fruit drops on the bike, if you want something to chew but nothing as heavy as a bar. Bearing in mind that's all for race day. During training I usually keep a pack of Nature's Bakery Fig Bars in my pocket. I'm very food motivated, and nothing like a fruit cookie as a reward for hill repeats!

I just "discovered" the VFuel this weekend. I tried it on a run and loved it.  I don't like the thick consistency of most gels. I like Honey Stinger but they seem to go straight through me, the VFuel seemed to be a nice thinner consistency and no GI issues!  I tried the chocolate and citrus. I thought the citrus was better. I'll have to try the peach cobbler next.

They released a salted caramel apple recently!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy Gels and Alternatives Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fruit bars- good alternative to gels on bike?

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1023 Posts: 2

2006-06-04 6:14 PM Lucy

Gu energy gel

Started by Itrithere4iam
Views: 5442 Posts: 8

2006-03-12 8:56 PM chile7473

Energy Gel

Started by parrj
Views: 799 Posts: 2

2006-02-26 8:04 PM Tri-It

How often to use energy gel?

Started by Dover97
Views: 2450 Posts: 18

2005-07-27 8:22 AM trilover

Are energy gels supposed to be nasty?

Started by imnotjoking
Views: 2924 Posts: 25

2005-05-08 9:50 PM teechur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : April 24, 2005
I can't get my gel pack out of my back pocket and then get it open to eat! I know this sounds really beginnerish, but what tricks or tools can I use to be able to have my food more accessible?
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.