General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 910xt battery life Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-06 7:14 PM

User image

Subject: Garmin 910xt battery life
Hello there fellow triathletes. I recently completed Ironman Lake Placid and one of the things that happened during the day was that 2 miles before the finish of the race my Garmin 910 xt ran out of juice. Bummer.

It's less than 2 years old. It may be almost exactly 2 years old. It was completely charged race morning. It was paired with my heart rate monitor and the cadence sensor and that's it. I finished in 14:36.

Garmin support tells me that the watch battery when new is 20 hours. After "several" years battery life should be 80% of that. So here is my question for which I request your opinions. Do you think I'm being unreasonable to be irritated that my watch died before the end of the event?

I'm not actually looking to bash Garmin. But I'll admit that one reason I'm irritated is that these watches are now really expensive.

2015-08-06 7:53 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin 910xt battery life
I think 20 hours when new is optimal, but not necessarily typical-- more like 18 hours. So 14+ when two years old and paired with two sensors seems pretty normal. Things like searching for signal and smart recording will also affect battery life.

It sucks to have it not make it through your whole race, though.
2015-08-07 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's nice to have 1 device to worry about during a race.  However, I invested in a bike computer and use the watch for the run.  I just turn it on before hitting T2.

2015-08-07 9:23 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I think 20 hours when new is optimal, but not necessarily typical-- more like 18 hours. So 14+ when two years old and paired with two sensors seems pretty normal. Things like searching for signal and smart recording will also affect battery life.

It sucks to have it not make it through your whole race, though.

Yup it was annoying.
2015-08-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Originally posted by GAUG3

It's nice to have 1 device to worry about during a race.  However, I invested in a bike computer and use the watch for the run.  I just turn it on before hitting T2.

I think this will have to be my plan in the future. Which is not a huge deal just a shift in planning. Avoids the common pitfall of leaving my watch on the bike. Also though I think it's a shift from buying a triathlon watch as well. Just thinking out loud here. Because I only need a triathlon watch if the watch will last for the entire triathlon that's why it has the big price tag. So if this is my plan I can go with a bike computer and then a running watch. I don't wear a watch while swimming.
2015-08-07 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I would be irritated, because I expect products to perform per the specs and per what the company states (otherwise, why are we buying them?). 80% of a 20-hour battery life is still 16 hours, so even by their math it should have lasted through the end of your race.

I have the same watch and am doing an IM in October. I often look at the battery percentage when I plug back in after, say, a long ride (3 or 4 hours) - and it's already down to 50% after starting out fully charged. I've had mine for ~7 months and don't use the HRM.

The 310XT I had didn't seem to have any battery issues - it lasted me through 15 and 16-hour Ironmans with no problems. I'll let you know in October how my 910 does 

Edited by lisac957 2015-08-07 9:33 AM

2015-08-07 4:35 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

I would be irritated, because I expect products to perform per the specs and per what the company states (otherwise, why are we buying them?). 80% of a 20-hour battery life is still 16 hours, so even by their math it should have lasted through the end of your race.

I have the same watch and am doing an IM in October. I often look at the battery percentage when I plug back in after, say, a long ride (3 or 4 hours) - and it's already down to 50% after starting out fully charged. I've had mine for ~7 months and don't use the HRM.

The 310XT I had didn't seem to have any battery issues - it lasted me through 15 and 16-hour Ironmans with no problems. I'll let you know in October how my 910 does 

I have to agree this is what is chaffing me. Up to 20 hours is up to 20 hours and I pretty much feel like if I know I want to have this watch (or any watch last me 14-16 hours) I should have the information I need to make that decision before I buy it and also before I use it. But it isn't there (I went and read the manual again today to be sure).

One of the things that is bugging me is that I think this is a known issue for them and they just don't care. On one hand I understand that because triathletes are a tiny market and those of us who do 14 hour Ironman races are an even smaller subset of that market. On the other hand I find it profoundly irritating since I paid $400 for this watch and I kind of liked using it. And on my third hand I realize this is a pointless inconsequential first-world rant which is the most depressing of all.
2015-08-07 5:24 PM

User image

lockport
I did IMLP as well and used my 910. Went pretty conservative and finished in 14:18 and still had 35% battery. Make sure your watch is optimized for battery usage. Turn off all unnecessary stuff. The only extra I used was a 30 min nutrition reminder. If all else fails call garmin and complain up a storm and they will send you another 910 for a few bucks or offer you a 920 upgrade.
2015-08-08 4:11 PM

Change the data rate to 30 seconds, make sure the back light is not on during the day. On all my Garmin devices, high data collection rates (default is 1 second I believe) and the back light are the battery killers. You can also do things like increasing the lap distances, changing timers to only vibrate or make sound will increase the life.
2015-08-09 3:38 PM
in reply to: s.gentz

User image

Thanks.
2015-08-09 5:33 PM
in reply to: shoff14

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by shoff14

Change the data rate to 30 seconds, make sure the back light is not on during the day. On all my Garmin devices, high data collection rates (default is 1 second I believe) and the back light are the battery killers. You can also do things like increasing the lap distances, changing timers to only vibrate or make sound will increase the life.

DCR reported that Garmin fixed the higher battery draw with shorter recording intervals with a firmware update. Any difference now would be inconsequentially small. All it gives you is smaller file sizes and crappier data. Make sure you are up to date.

The stuff that matters is beeps, buzzes, and lights. i have found the backlight to be the worst battery drainer.

We've all had cell phones and laptops and should all be familiar with this inescapable phenomena of decreasing battery storage over time. Your choices are separate devices, get a new one with a fresh battery, trade in for a refurb, do shorter races, or finish faster.

I think it would be cool if Garmin would make a battery pack that has leashes for its virb, bike computers and that the QR kit could charge the watch on the bike.

2015-08-09 6:43 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

That's interesting that Garmin was able to fix that change in recording effect on battery life. Thank you for sharing. I had gone over the 910 original write up from DC rainmaker but I didn't see that. There is so much information there that I'm not surprised I missed something though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 910xt battery life Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin 920 users - battery life

Started by toodamnbroke
Views: 5077 Posts: 17

2015-04-20 11:37 AM dfquigley

Garmin HR Monitor battery life

Started by KatieLimb
Views: 2721 Posts: 7

2014-12-03 8:41 AM brucemorgan

910XT battery life problem

Started by Izlude
Views: 885 Posts: 2

2012-07-08 8:06 PM EKH

Garmin 305 Battery Life for Ironman

Started by DV 1
Views: 2182 Posts: 17

2012-04-24 9:57 PM rmiller1976

Garmin 305 battery life

Started by Bearintheair2000
Views: 1287 Posts: 8

2015-01-24 5:28 AM Toefuzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.