General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike comfort Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-09 8:42 PM

Bismarck, ND
Subject: Bike comfort
So, is anyone actually comfortable on their bike? I have been dealing with bike comfort for years. I am now at the point of either saying, I just have to live with my bike an know that I am going to have saddle soreness, toe numbness, some knee pain, etc or trade it in for something different. I had someone tell me that they train on a road bike and ride their tri bike just occasionally to be comfortable with it on race day. I can see this to a point but you spend $2000–7000 or more on a bike, shouldn't it be comfortable?

I need to make the decision to either keep my Felt B16 or trade it in. I have 650 wheels and one guy was really pushing for 700 wheels because I struggle on hills. I train of pretty good rolling hills, so I shouldn't get crushed on overpasses. I do have extra weight so I know losing some weight would help but seriously.

2015-08-10 4:13 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Bike comfort
Originally posted by brreems

So, is anyone actually comfortable on their bike? I have been dealing with bike comfort for years. I am now at the point of either saying, I just have to live with my bike an know that I am going to have saddle soreness, toe numbness, some knee pain, etc or trade it in for something different. I had someone tell me that they train on a road bike and ride their tri bike just occasionally to be comfortable with it on race day. I can see this to a point but you spend $2000–7000 or more on a bike, shouldn't it be comfortable?

I'm "comfortable" on my tribike. I can ride for quite a while with no issues for a training ride when I'm not locked into the aerobars the entire time. If I'm racing, then staying locked in the aerobars leads to some neck discomfort. However, I would say that you shouldn't have to deal with all the issues you describe - have you been fit by someone who knows what they're doing?

I need to make the decision to either keep my Felt B16 or trade it in. I have 650 wheels and one guy was really pushing for 700 wheels because I struggle on hills. I train of pretty good rolling hills, so I shouldn't get crushed on overpasses. I do have extra weight so I know losing some weight would help but seriously.

Your wheel size is not why you have issues on hills - your gearing could be causing your problems on hills and the gearing will differ from 700c wheels in terms of what's appropriate but the 650c's are not the issue.

Shane
2015-08-10 4:55 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I'm generally completely comfortable on my tri bike (Cervelo P2). Prior to getting it, I had a road bike (Trek 1.2) that was pretty comfortable out of aero, not so much in. No huge issues for sprint and Oly distance, but I wasn't looking forward to doing a HIM on it. (Happily I found the tri bike secondhand just before starting training for my second HIM.) Not sure if it's the interplay of bike and body, a really good fit, or what, but since the first few rides I've really had minimal to no discomfort on that bike. I can stay in aero for almost all of a 90-100 km (3 hours plus) ride with only some minor tightness in my neck and arms in the first 30 minutes or so (not sure why--maybe I'm a bit tense at first then relax into that position)? You should look at bike fit and tweaking things like saddle/pedal choice and placement before just resigning yourself to discomfort or ditching the bike. I know for me the saddle made a big difference--I could not stand the saddle that came with the bike and found most of those I tested were just completely the wrong shape for my body. I think I tried at least ten before finding what worked.

Also, flexibility. When I did my fitting the fitter commented on how flexible my upper body is, which he said is unusual in triathletes. (Maybe due to my swim background--did a lot of butterfly back in the day, which really stretches out the back and shoulders.) I try to work in upper body stretching when I do strength training and before/after swimming. Anything you can do to work on core strength and upper body flexibility will probably help you hold a more aggressive position on the bike and be more comfortable in it.

2015-08-10 6:40 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Sooo much mis-information floating about regarding 650c wheels... In fact, the smaller wheels would actually be an advantage when climbing. That's not the issue here, and that "one guy" is full of it.

But that doesn't mean the bike you have is right for you. I'd suggest a competent fitting before tossing the bike to the curb.

2015-08-10 7:27 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Agree with everyone above

I have a B-16 and I am very comfortable on it. Actually I am more comfortable on my tri bike than on my road bike, but still do 100 + miles on either one without a problem.
2015-08-10 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I have also never been comfortable.
Riding is varying degrees of pain.
My new tri bike fits much better than the old one so there is less pain.
I work on my core and flexibility to help with my lower back pain.
I have gone through 9 saddles and been fit a few different times of the years but still struggle with saddle issues and actually had saddle related surgery in 2013.
Have you been fit? If not, make it happen. Your knee issue could be something as simple as adjusting your cleats.
What works for me is building up easy and riding often. I do one of my workouts on a spin bike during the week to give my undercarriage recovery time.
If you choose to buy a road bike in addition to your tri bike don't buy anything special. Just get a used aluminum with Tiagra or maybe 105 components to use once a week or while on the trainer.

I agree that the wheel comment was silly. Seems the folks who feel compelled to say something on the road are often the least educated.

2015-08-10 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Pay the money and get a good bike fit. I just got my first tri bike and took it in for a pro fit. I decided to get a refit on my three year old road bike which I had no issues riding four hours on comfortably. As I expected, the adjustments were minor, but I could immediately feel the difference.

Your question about spending that much money on a bike is exactly why you should spend a few dollars more and get a good bike fit. I am still trying to get comfortable on my tri bike but when I say that it is all about handling and nothing to do with how my body feels during and after a ride.

2015-08-10 11:32 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
It took me a while to be comfortable on the bike. I have a Felt B16 as well. Most of my issues were from the saddle. I went from the stock saddle to an Adamo and (after an a$$imilation period) have been largely fine. I still deal with recuring saddle sores though (albeit not that severe). I could probably do away with any saddle sores if I remembered to use body glide before rides, but I never do. So it must not be bad enough for me to do anything about it.

It really depends on what type of issues you're having. For me I never really had any shoulder or back issues. Every once in a while something will act up, but it's not often. I was having a lot of trouble with numbness in...I'll say my "saddle area" that was really uncomfortable and painful at times. The saddle took care of that. I could see leg numbness being a similar issue. Shoulders, that may be a bike fit, flexibility or strength issue.

Realizing that I haven't actually answered your question: mostly comfortable. If a sore isn't bothering me that day, I'm 100% comfortable in aero position for very extended periods.
2015-08-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

Bismarck, ND
I have had my bike fit numerous times. I have tried a couple different fitters as well. I have been through 6 saddles. I don't have a lot of options where I am from so a few times I have had to travel quite a distance to get fit. Unfortunately, it is difficult to do a follow-up because of the distance. I am not extremely flexible but more than some. I have extra weight on, so that is a factor. I don't do a lot of riding (just family rides with 6 year old) other than training rides. I have gained some ground. I can go a bit longer without going numb and completely miserable. But, I am usually sore for at least a day or 2 after a 30 mile ride. Hip flexor, knee and saddle pain. Toe pain usually goes away that day.
2015-08-10 7:52 PM

I have had my bike fit numerous times. I have tried a couple different fitters as well. I have been through 6 saddles. I don't have a lot of options where I am from so a few times I have had to travel quite a distance to get fit. Unfortunately, it is difficult to do a follow-up because of the distance. I am not extremely flexible but more than some. I have extra weight on, so that is a factor. I don't do a lot of riding (just family rides with 6 year old) other than training rides. I have gained some ground. I can go a bit longer without going numb and completely miserable. But, I am usually sore for at least a day or 2 after a 30 mile ride. Hip flexor, knee and saddle pain. Toe pain usually goes away that day.
Is there a Retul fitter near you? I've been riding tri bikes for 15 years, with numerous fittings, and never felt 100% comfortable until my recent Retul fit. Not sure I'm faster, but I can ride forever in the aero bars and it's a joy to ride for hours.
2015-08-11 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

A good fitter should ask a lot of questions about your riding style, riding goals, length of typical rides you want to be "comfortable" etc..

Then they should take a ton of measurements and test your flexibility in order to start trial and error testing between what "the book" says about where your bike should be set up at  vs. where it's comfortable for you with your flexibility, riding goals etc.  

I went with a Body Geometry FIT which addressed everything and made a world of difference.. From the in-take interview until I left the shop I was there around 3 hours and was worth every cent... Lots of video taping, a computer monitor measuring my wattage, cadence and whether I was pedaling equally on both feet etc.  

I'd say if you've had 6 fittings over the years, it's likely you didn't get too in depth on things and likely is why you're still uncomfortable.  

2015-08-11 3:01 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Originally posted by TriMike

A good fitter should ask a lot of questions about your riding style, riding goals, length of typical rides you want to be "comfortable" etc..

Then they should take a ton of measurements and test your flexibility in order to start trial and error testing between what "the book" says about where your bike should be set up at  vs. where it's comfortable for you with your flexibility, riding goals etc.  

I went with a Body Geometry FIT which addressed everything and made a world of difference.. From the in-take interview until I left the shop I was there around 3 hours and was worth every cent... Lots of video taping, a computer monitor measuring my wattage, cadence and whether I was pedaling equally on both feet etc.  

I'd say if you've had 6 fittings over the years, it's likely you didn't get too in depth on things and likely is why you're still uncomfortable.  

I had a very similar bike fit experience. My tri bike is a very recent purchase, and although I'm still getting used to a slightly different riding position, it's all very comfortable. Fitter warned me about neck and shoulder stiffness, that should ease after a few rides.

I think the secret is a good fit.
2015-08-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: Shakeybear

Bismarck, ND
Everyone has done some flexibility testing, measurements of angles, etc. I am kind of hopeful that this last fit can help with some issues. When I bought the bike 3 years ago, I knew very little about bikes. I tried a lot of different ones but honestly, I didn't know what I was looking for. I was mostly concerned about getting a decent bike for the price. (I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I like to know that I got a deal). It would be interesting to try out some different bikes now just to see how different they feel.

I just didn't know if my expectations were too high. For instance, last year I did a sprint tri and my bike pace was 19.5 mph but was super uncomfortable. I was up and down on the bars the whole race. This year, with trying different saddles and fits, I can't get over 17.5. I have ridden more this year than any other year but yet I am slower. My last race was the best. Olympic distance. 17.4 mph. I wasn't comfortable but I didn't want to kill myself either. It's getting a bit frustrating.

FWIW, my lbs is suppose to be getting the retul bike fit in the next couple months.
2015-08-12 3:05 PM

User image

Exton, PA

Everyone has done some flexibility testing, measurements of angles, etc. I am kind of hopeful that this last fit can help with some issues. When I bought the bike 3 years ago, I knew very little about bikes. I tried a lot of different ones but honestly, I didn't know what I was looking for. I was mostly concerned about getting a decent bike for the price. (I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I like to know that I got a deal). It would be interesting to try out some different bikes now just to see how different they feel.

I just didn't know if my expectations were too high. For instance, last year I did a sprint tri and my bike pace was 19.5 mph but was super uncomfortable. I was up and down on the bars the whole race. This year, with trying different saddles and fits, I can't get over 17.5. I have ridden more this year than any other year but yet I am slower. My last race was the best. Olympic distance. 17.4 mph. I wasn't comfortable but I didn't want to kill myself either. It's getting a bit frustrating.

FWIW, my lbs is suppose to be getting the retul bike fit in the next couple months.

A quick note about bike fit. I have always made some adjustments myself after the fit. Not much, mostly in the saddle but a little adjustment can mean a lot. there is a difference riding for a while and spending 10-15 minutes on a new bike on a trainer in front of a fitter.

Another thing I did that was not required for fit was changing crank lengths. My flexability is good and I have no problem with the 172.5 cranks the bike came with but I tried 165mm cranks and found that I could breath much easier. I also found I could climb in aero at much higher speeds with smaller hills of coarse.

Just saying some small adjustments after your initial fit is not uncommon. If you not comfortable doing something yourself, go talk to your fitter most will suggest small adjusts for you.
2015-08-12 3:42 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by brreems Everyone has done some flexibility testing, measurements of angles, etc. I am kind of hopeful that this last fit can help with some issues. When I bought the bike 3 years ago, I knew very little about bikes. I tried a lot of different ones but honestly, I didn't know what I was looking for. I was mostly concerned about getting a decent bike for the price. (I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I like to know that I got a deal). It would be interesting to try out some different bikes now just to see how different they feel. I just didn't know if my expectations were too high. For instance, last year I did a sprint tri and my bike pace was 19.5 mph but was super uncomfortable. I was up and down on the bars the whole race. This year, with trying different saddles and fits, I can't get over 17.5. I have ridden more this year than any other year but yet I am slower. My last race was the best. Olympic distance. 17.4 mph. I wasn't comfortable but I didn't want to kill myself either. It's getting a bit frustrating. FWIW, my lbs is suppose to be getting the retul bike fit in the next couple months.
A quick note about bike fit. I have always made some adjustments myself after the fit. Not much, mostly in the saddle but a little adjustment can mean a lot. there is a difference riding for a while and spending 10-15 minutes on a new bike on a trainer in front of a fitter. Another thing I did that was not required for fit was changing crank lengths. My flexability is good and I have no problem with the 172.5 cranks the bike came with but I tried 165mm cranks and found that I could breath much easier. I also found I could climb in aero at much higher speeds with smaller hills of coarse. Just saying some small adjustments after your initial fit is not uncommon. If you not comfortable doing something yourself, go talk to your fitter most will suggest small adjusts for you.

10-15 minutes on a new bike on a trainer in front of a fitter is exactly not the type of bike fit we're talking about.  

A legit fit that takes hours to do is where expertise is paid for and positive results should happen.  OR if you are being fit to an existing bike, they should tell you rather quickly if the bike is too far off from having a successful fit to you (too big or too small).

My LBS stands behind their fit (for the bike they fitted me to, not others obviously) so they said if after getting some miles in I have issues etc., to come back in and they will take a look, tweak where necessary etc..  I'm ~ 1K miles post fit and there's zero issues with the bike... I still get some discomfort occasionally but it's when I go past the number of miles I said I wanted to be comfortable at.... Usually 20% or greater on the mileage overage.

They also said if I wanted to bring the bike in in the future, they can do some quick measurements to make sure my seat post hasn't settled, or the bars drop etc.

IF you have a professional fit, I wouldn't recommend any micro adjustments unless they do them.  They have all the variables dialed in so if a tweak is necessary, IMO, it should be after a conversation with them.  Then if they decide to tweak something they can document the change and if things continue there is a process of elimination.  

Spending big bucks on a fit only to make adjustments yourself invalidates the value (and expense) of the fit in the first place.  

2015-08-12 8:02 PM

Bismarck, ND
I agree with trimike, to have to make adjustments after the fit, is frustrating. My last fit cost $225 and still isn't good. That is crazy to me. I am sick of putting money down the drain.

2015-08-13 5:26 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I agree with trimike, to have to make adjustments after the fit, is frustrating. My last fit cost $225 and still isn't good. That is crazy to me. I am sick of putting money down the drain.

It would appear that you have not been to a good fitter. If you can talk to people who have been fit in your area and see if there is a consensus on who is the best, you may have some luck. However, if that just gets you back where you started, you may need to go further afield. The most important thing to consider when looking for a fitter is referrals. And most importantly, from athletes who will be on the bike for similar times as you with similar comfort expectations. As I mentioned, my tribike is "comfortable" in that I can ride in there aero position for the race distance and run well off the bike but, I'm much more comfortable on my roadie. I've traded some comfort for speed and that will be important for the fitter to know.

Don't get tied up in the system used - there are good fitters using a variety of systems so whether they are FIST certified, use a Retul or something else, that's not that important when compared to the results.

Also, you could try taking pictures or better yet video of you riding on a trainer and post it here - you would likely get some valuable input tp help you on your way. Not ideal but better than what you have right now.

Shane
2015-08-13 7:27 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by brreems Everyone has done some flexibility testing, measurements of angles, etc. I am kind of hopeful that this last fit can help with some issues. When I bought the bike 3 years ago, I knew very little about bikes. I tried a lot of different ones but honestly, I didn't know what I was looking for. I was mostly concerned about getting a decent bike for the price. (I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I like to know that I got a deal). It would be interesting to try out some different bikes now just to see how different they feel. I just didn't know if my expectations were too high. For instance, last year I did a sprint tri and my bike pace was 19.5 mph but was super uncomfortable. I was up and down on the bars the whole race. This year, with trying different saddles and fits, I can't get over 17.5. I have ridden more this year than any other year but yet I am slower. My last race was the best. Olympic distance. 17.4 mph. I wasn't comfortable but I didn't want to kill myself either. It's getting a bit frustrating. FWIW, my lbs is suppose to be getting the retul bike fit in the next couple months.
A quick note about bike fit. I have always made some adjustments myself after the fit. Not much, mostly in the saddle but a little adjustment can mean a lot. there is a difference riding for a while and spending 10-15 minutes on a new bike on a trainer in front of a fitter. Another thing I did that was not required for fit was changing crank lengths. My flexability is good and I have no problem with the 172.5 cranks the bike came with but I tried 165mm cranks and found that I could breath much easier. I also found I could climb in aero at much higher speeds with smaller hills of coarse. Just saying some small adjustments after your initial fit is not uncommon. If you not comfortable doing something yourself, go talk to your fitter most will suggest small adjusts for you.

10-15 minutes on a new bike on a trainer in front of a fitter is exactly not the type of bike fit we're talking about.  

A legit fit that takes hours to do is where expertise is paid for and positive results should happen.  OR if you are being fit to an existing bike, they should tell you rather quickly if the bike is too far off from having a successful fit to you (too big or too small).

My LBS stands behind their fit (for the bike they fitted me to, not others obviously) so they said if after getting some miles in I have issues etc., to come back in and they will take a look, tweak where necessary etc..  I'm ~ 1K miles post fit and there's zero issues with the bike... I still get some discomfort occasionally but it's when I go past the number of miles I said I wanted to be comfortable at.... Usually 20% or greater on the mileage overage.

They also said if I wanted to bring the bike in in the future, they can do some quick measurements to make sure my seat post hasn't settled, or the bars drop etc.

IF you have a professional fit, I wouldn't recommend any micro adjustments unless they do them.  They have all the variables dialed in so if a tweak is necessary, IMO, it should be after a conversation with them.  Then if they decide to tweak something they can document the change and if things continue there is a process of elimination.  

Spending big bucks on a fit only to make adjustments yourself invalidates the value (and expense) of the fit in the first place.  

I spent more like an hour- but it does not really matter. a trainer is not the same as the road and a little tweak here in there is nothing to complain about.
2015-08-13 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Did you buy the bike before/without looking into fit? Just wondering because that is often how really cost-conscious people do it. I know in my case I bought my first road bike in Singaapore without a fit prior to buying it, and did the fit later when I had more time and $. Really the wrong approach, as I realized over the next couple of years that the bike is too small for me. It's not a matter of height, so I didn't pick up on it when I bought the bike--the reach is too short and I'm sort of scrunched into a weird position. It's a "women's bike" and apparently due to the length of my torso and arms, I'd be better off on a men's model in that brand. With my US roadie, I had the opposite problem--it's a size bigger but a men's model, and I'm too stretched out in aero, Same situation--bought what was convenient and (relatively) cheap, did the fit later. Pretty sure what I need is a 52 men', not a 52 women's or 54 men's! The guys who did my fits with those bikes were nice enough to let me know that we were just making the best of a suboptimal situation.

In the case of the tri bike, we did a preliminary fitting to see if it was a good option, then I returned later for a much more detailed fit and purchase--still not exactly the way one's supposed to do it but tri bike options, particularly for someone my size (not a big expat male), are REALLY limited in Vietnam. Maybe your bike is just a bad match somehow due to geometry or size, and the fitter isn't letting you know that he's just making the best of it.
2015-08-13 8:22 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I spent more like an hour- but it does not really matter. a trainer is not the same as the road and a little tweak here in there is nothing to complain about.

This makes no sense to me.  As I've mentioned, IF there are issues after the professional fit, work with the fitter to address them vs. wrenching yourself.  

In my case he said ideally I should go 100 miles minimum before we adjust anything, but if I have significant discomfort sooner than 100 miles then bring the bike in... 

It's like taking your car to the mechanic for a repair, then bringing it home and starting to tinker... Either do the repair/tinkering yourself, or hold the mechanic to their repairs if the car still isn't right...

2015-08-13 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

In my case he said ideally I should go 100 miles minimum before we adjust anything, but if I have significant discomfort sooner than 100 miles then bring the bike in... 

This is how my fitter has always worked.  He always has me come back after a 100 miles or so to check everything and talk about how it felt, then make any tweaks we might feel are appropriate.

My position is very comfortable, with more of a slack or upright position in consideration of my age and somewhat limited flexibility.  Maybe not the most aero position, but I can ride all day.  

FWIW,  I also suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and it's easier on my wrists to ride in my aerobars over long distances.

Mark      

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike comfort Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bike comfort questions

Started by woosh
Views: 1454 Posts: 14

2014-12-11 11:32 AM woosh

Tri bike comfort?

Started by twbewley
Views: 3217 Posts: 19

2013-06-18 12:18 PM devilfan02

Bike seat comfort

Started by SweetK
Views: 2116 Posts: 21

2006-10-18 10:27 PM chile7473

Bike comfort

Started by brenteritou
Views: 742 Posts: 5

2005-07-06 7:22 AM brenteritou

comfort road vs comfort tri bike

Started by KathyG
Views: 1393 Posts: 7

2004-10-04 5:07 PM runnrboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 0
Is it more important to be as steep as you can go and uncomfortable, or be in a more comfortable position and sacrifice some aerodynamics?

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 4, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 4
When shopping for triathlon bike aerobars, considerations range from adjustability, comfort, aerodynamics, weight, and of course, price.

date : December 11, 2006
author : mrakes1
With a decrease in my training, and an increase in all the comfort foods, is it possible to eat healthy during the winter months?
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.