United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race I went out for my traditional pre-race sushi dinner. Much healthier than my last race when I ate fried alligator and BBQ at a county fair! The race location was about an hour drive so we got up bright and early in the morning and drove down. I tend to have a "rush now so I don't have to rush later" mentality and got to to the race site on the early side as check-in had not even opened up yet so I relaxed in my truck for a bit. Once checked in I set up my transition area and chatted with a first time triathlete. She was both excited and nervous so I gave her a few pointers. Once I was all set I wandered into the pool complex.
Event warmup:

Found my lane in the impressive indoor swim center (multiple pools and a couple water slides!) and did a few warm up laps.
Swim
  • 11m 27s
  • 550 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Each had an assigned lap counter and we were told it would be 20 lengths (10 full laps) of the 25 yard pool (more on that later).The lanes were seeded by estimated swim time. When the seeding was announced I checked my lane partner and noted his time was about 30 seconds faster than me so it would be a close swim. We wished each other a good race, counted down to the start, and we were off!

For the first couple of laps I was keeping pace with my lane partner and the competitive spirit was urging me to push the pace faster than normal. Reason, fortunately, won out over competition and I settled down into my usual pace and he gradually pulled ahead. Once again I lamented my inability to do kick turns as I burned a couple seconds with each open turn.

I was keeping a mental lap count and as I finished length 19 I looked up at my lap counter confused the kick board signal was not in place. She said "you are on 17, almost there!" and I shook my head in disbelief as I saw other swimmers in neighboring lanes getting out of the pool. Not to argue with an official I swam the extra 50 yards.
What would you do differently?:

Kick turns!
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Quick climb out of the pool and jogged out to the transition area. My lane partner was putting on his helmet and we quickly confirmed our suspicions that the lane counter miscounted. The rest of transition went quickly as our rack was right near the bike exit.
Bike
  • 35m 23s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The way out of transition had a couple of tight turns so I started with the crank set on the small ring for easier pedaling at slow speeds for maneuverability. After turning on to the street I up shifted and (knowing the non-indexed front derailleur was prone to tossing chains) tossed my chain. Fortunately, through practice, I've become adept at re-seating the front chain so I was back in the race after about 30 seconds or so. Unfortunately, this gave my swim lane partner an extra lead and my hopes of catching up and passing him dwindled.

The bike route was pretty much flat, so I my goal was to push hard for the first 8-9 miles then relax my legs a bit so they wouldn't be dead on the run. Conditions were good and I was feeling fast, holding a 20 mph pace and passing a couple others. As I passed the first timer I met in transition I gave her a few encouraging words and she responded with a cheer. At the turn around the road was barely two lanes and it was a tight U-turn. After tossing the chain at the start I didn't want to down shift and stayed in a rather high gear, making for a slow acceleration out of the U-turn.

On the way back there was a light head wind which slowed me down a little. I let up on my pace a bit and did some calf stretches as I neared the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Better shifting!
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Small transition area makes for fast transition! On my way out I spotted my wife cheering and taking a picture. Always nice to have a fan in the crowd!
Run
  • 27m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Heading out of transition my legs felt the usual post bike heaviness and as usual I resisted the urge to walk them out. My pace was brisk (for me) and I kept it up as my legs got back into run mode. At the turn-around there was an aid station and I poured some water over my shoulders as the sun was finally warming things up after burning off the morning gloom. In my last mile I saw the first timer heading out on her run with a determined look and I shouted out "you got this!" which out a smile on her face. With the finish line nearing my legs felt good so I kicked in and finished strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out my legs and enjoyed some fresh fruit. As I was packing up my transition area I saw the first timer heading towards the finish so I cheered for and congratulated her. It was good to see the "triathlon bug" being caught by a new participant.

Event comments:

Fun and easy sprint.

Last updated: 2015-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:27 | 550 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Laps in a 25 yard pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:23 | 11 miles | 18.65 mile/hr
Performance: Average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/861459587/3
Wind: Some
Course: Out of town to farms and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:42 | 03.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Good
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/861459587/5
Course: Out and back through neighborhood along bike course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-08-10 5:55 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Lompoc Triathlon

2015-08-18 6:37 PM
in reply to: #5134208

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Lompoc Triathlon

Considering I'm a steady "middle of pack" triathlete I never stick around for the awards. In this case I should have, as I placed 1st (out of 3) in my age group! The joys of a small town event without much competition

2015-08-18 9:33 PM
in reply to: #5134208

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Lompoc Triathlon
Congrats Mark!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lompoc Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lompoc Sprint Triathlon Hank Hudson Memorial

Started by williambret