Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ladies how do you feel about this? Would you do it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-12 11:42 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Ladies how do you feel about this? Would you do it?

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Oddly enough, I got an e-mail including an ad for this company: http://www.corawomen.com/

Cora is a monthly subscription service - which looks like it includes tampons, pads, and few little other things like tea and dark chocolate... but for every month you purchase, they give a full month's supply to a girl in need. The woman who started it basically felt that  she could make a difference by "selling products to women who did have the means and using the profits for product donation"

Their website says they've given away 16000 pads already. 

Looks like they'll start up again in the fall. I'd subscribe.

To answer the question, I think it's great that someone wants to bring awareness to an(y) issue. I'm not sure that the awareness that she raised is what this cause most needs.  Call me a cynic, but after reading the blog (twice) I'm still not convinced that she was really working towards the end goal of awareness.  It seemed like breast cancer awareness was her primary goal, until that night.

The website mentioned above seems like a much more proactive way to reach the end goal.

2015-08-12 11:50 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

This is funny because it reminds me of when having your period was a legitimate excuse in junior high to skip swimming.  

There's no need to miss anything!  Tampons.  If they are very heavy bleeders this might not be good enough, but the average person should be fine.  I do suggest it' s best to use a fresh one right before and right after the swim.

Agreed.  I've learned about menstrual cups, which seems like a great idea to deal with issues in developing countries.

While we're on the subject, any competitive swimmers (or former) out there that have good incite into how a young women deals with menstruation without missing a week of swim every month?  The situation is right around the corner for my girls.  

Potential overshare time!!

I got my period for the first time during the first week of a summer swim season. I didn't miss a practice. My mom was prepared (I'm the 3rd of 4 girls), had smaller sized tampons, and basically told me that my period should never stop me from doing anything I wanted to do.

Be ready to explain that they won't leak, and they should put in a new one before practice, and change it afterwards (as Emily said). Smaller ones with plastic rounded applicators are easiest to start with. 

Awesome!

2015-08-17 8:41 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Thanks for the advice.  I passed along to my wife this morning because she is headed home to comfort my 12 yo who started this morning.  I'm glad it started today and not next Monday on the first day of school.

2015-08-19 3:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Well, she stated she did it to raise awareness for women who don't have access to feminine products. Which is a pretty big issue. Not, big like clean water and hunger but a huge challenge nonetheless. The cost of the products in some countries being a weeks worth of wage. Yet trying to maximize the use has pretty negative effect like toxic shock. So, yeah, it is an issue. (Side plug for the Diva Cup BTW. So. Damn. Amazing.)

But anyway, I don't know about the whole part about pretending it doesn't exist. I guess there is a stigma, and yeah, it's a part of life and we shouldn't apologize for it or feel like we can't talk about it.

To answer the question though, no, I wouldn't do it. And I guess props to her for doing it? It seems extreme but then again, we are talking about it...

I find it rather ridiculous. I was in peace corps - two stints, two different countries. guess what - she is correct, they do not have tampons or developed world style pads to be bought, however, it's not like they let it run down their leg. they use things other than tampons. how ridiculous to think that those that don't have tampons cannot possibly think of anything else to use and let it run down their legs.

on a similar note, this is an interesting history: theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/06/history-of-the-tampon/394334/

Edited by Dutchcrush 2015-08-19 3:22 PM
2015-08-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--my understanding is that unless we are talking people so desperately poor that they don't have extra cloth or cotton or something, the issue is mainly access to adequate sanitary facilities (privacy from the boys, running water, TP or equivalent) to clean up, wash the pads, change to clean ones, etc. so that girls can continue their education without having to go home (which is often a prohibitive distance away) during the school day. From an environmental standpoint, many of the local solutions are more eco-friendly anyway than a lot of commercial products which aren't biodegradable.
2015-08-20 8:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

I saw this the other day:  http://aplus.com/b/flo-low-income-period-cleaning-design

And then this: http://mic.com/articles/119796/this-new-magic-underwear-means-you-never-have-to-use-tampons-or-pads-again

Maybe someday they could come together as an affordable and complete solution for girls.

It IS an issue, just an odd and poorly/un thought-out way to bring attention to it, IMO.

Oh, and no, can't say I'd choose to do it.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-08-20 8:14 PM

2016-04-06 7:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Uhm...no. I would never do that. I don't see what kind of awareness you can raise from doing this.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ladies how do you feel about this? Would you do it? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What's your bra done for you lately, ladies?

Started by LHablas
Views: 1124 Posts: 10

2008-06-24 10:23 AM DieuEtMonDroit

OJ to tell how he would have "done it" if he'd done it...

Started by Spokes
Views: 943 Posts: 21

2006-11-21 10:37 AM Tri-Pirate

Anyone doing Ride The Rockies?

Started by MinnesotaBrian
Views: 958 Posts: 2

2005-03-16 1:38 AM max

almost done,

Started by TriMom217
Views: 930 Posts: 5

2004-12-13 12:08 AM max

Oh have I really gone and done it

Started by stina76
Views: 1072 Posts: 5

2004-03-21 6:06 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"