Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ladies how do you feel about this? Would you do it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-11 10:03 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Ladies how do you feel about this? Would you do it?

Woman runs London Marathon without a tampon, bleeds freely to raise awareness.

Curious as to what my fellow female runners think about this one. Would you do it?
And males, what's your perspective? 

Edited by lisac957 2015-08-11 10:04 AM

2015-08-11 10:39 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ladies how do you feel about this? Would you do it?

Awareness? Really? There's a "stigma" surrounding the menstrual cycle? Perhaps in some parts of the world there are - but this story will likely never make it to those parts of the world.

Fear of a tampon being uncomfortable when running? 

To me, it screams publicity stunt. And chafing.

2015-08-11 10:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I don't think I would, like I would not pee on myself, mostly for comfort.
2015-08-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

well, if I saw her running, I am not sure I would be thinking, Oh she is making a statement and showing support for her cause. I would be thinking more along of the lines "poor lady had a problem!"

2015-08-11 11:07 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Awareness? Really? There's a "stigma" surrounding the menstrual cycle? Perhaps in some parts of the world there are - but this story will likely never make it to those parts of the world.

Agreed. I have friends on social media saying "there's so much sweat and grossness everywhere anyway, it's no big deal" - which I just don't agree with. It's unhygienic and completely preventable. 

Also as a woman, I alwaysalwaysALWAYS carry tampons and am never in a place where I can't access a drug store to buy some. Her whole thing about not expecting to get her period the night before the race is, to me, completely irrelevant to the story. Have some unexpected lady issues? Take care of them like everyone else. 

2015-08-11 11:20 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'm a guy who has been purchasing feminine hygiene products for the past 25 years (for my embarrassed girlfriend, now wife) and who has two daughters, 10 and 12. I don't really get why that runner felt the need to make her statement or what statement she was really trying to make.  People around the world are dying because of a lack of clean water - water without human and animal waste, but running a marathon with human waste running down your let probably is not the best way to bring attention to the problem.  

2015-08-11 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Embarrassment? I don't get it
2015-08-11 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not under normal circumstances, but....if it happened on the start line of a large marathon (it did, once) or during a race (it did, once), yes. Probably should have been prepared but I wasn't. I'm not going to drop out of a race, miss the start by running to find a bathroom, or stop mid-race at the next Porta-Potty, just to look decent. People can deal with it. Plenty of guys end up bloody from bike crashes anyway. Sometimes people pee themselves, or puke in races. Sh... happens, and not just to women. Definitely wouldn't blog about it, though, or make my normal body functions into a media event.
2015-08-11 5:48 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle

Well, she stated she did it to raise awareness for women who don't have access to feminine products. Which is a pretty big issue. Not, big like clean water and hunger but a huge challenge nonetheless. The cost of the products in some countries being a weeks worth of wage. Yet trying to maximize the use has pretty negative effect like toxic shock. So, yeah, it is an issue. (Side plug for the Diva Cup BTW. So. Damn. Amazing.)

But anyway, I don't know about the whole part about pretending it doesn't exist. I guess there is a stigma, and yeah, it's a part of life and we shouldn't apologize for it or feel like we can't talk about it.

To answer the question though, no, I wouldn't do it. And I guess props to her for doing it? It seems extreme but then again, we are talking about it...

2015-08-11 5:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by lisac957

Agreed. I have friends on social media saying "there's so much sweat and grossness everywhere anyway, it's no big deal" - which I just don't agree with. It's unhygienic and completely preventable. 

Also as a woman, I alwaysalwaysALWAYS carry tampons and am never in a place where I can't access a drug store to buy some. Her whole thing about not expecting to get her period the night before the race is, to me, completely irrelevant to the story. Have some unexpected lady issues? Take care of them like everyone else. 

She's speaking more to people who are living in poverty/developing countries, women in prison etc.

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/helping-women-and-girls-period/

2015-08-11 9:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I have a wife and 4 daughters......I'm all out of statements.

On a serious note, and yes, I realize you are asking the ladies, but I'm surrounded by them so I feel I can at least add a man's perspective;  that woman needs to grow up.   Raising awareness of bodily functions is dumb......all you have to do is look in a mirror and you'll be aware of at least 75% of them. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-11 9:32 PM

2015-08-12 6:12 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

No I wouldn't do it.

But I had no idea or never gave any thought to the issue of women not being able to take care of their personal needs. That is definitely concerning. I don't know what all is covered on food stamps but that seems to be pretty much a necessity to me.

2015-08-12 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I had some kids last year researching why girls drop out of school and this issue came up (related to developing countries)--girls quitting once they start due to lack of both sanitary supplies and adequate toilet facilities where they can use them. I do understand the issue and support efforts to help those women/girls, but running a marathon on purpose like that just strikes me as being not very comfortable and in poor taste--there are other ways of drawing awareness to the issue.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-12 8:15 AM
2015-08-12 8:42 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

The way I read the article, it sounds like she only planned this the night before the race, so I am not sure I would say this was as big a statement as she wanted it to be

2015-08-12 10:20 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Hot Runner I had some kids last year researching why girls drop out of school and this issue came up (related to developing countries)--girls quitting once they start due to lack of both sanitary supplies and adequate toilet facilities where they can use them. I do understand the issue and support efforts to help those women/girls, but running a marathon on purpose like that just strikes me as being not very comfortable and in poor taste--there are other ways of drawing awareness to the issue.

I can certainly agree with that.

I agree with her message. I just think the attempt fell flat. But, I can't help but respect someone for trying to make a difference. 

2015-08-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have a wife and 4 daughters......I'm all out of statements.

On a serious note, and yes, I realize you are asking the ladies, but I'm surrounded by them so I feel I can at least add a man's perspective;  that woman needs to grow up.   Raising awareness of bodily functions is dumb......all you have to do is look in a mirror and you'll be aware of at least 75% of them. LOL

Well, I don't think it was so much raising awareness OF bodily functions, but with.

However, leads me to wonder what awareness the woman who ran in front of my in the 14 Boston Marathon was running for when she sh*t her pants

2015-08-12 10:29 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Asalzwed

She's speaking more to people who are living in poverty/developing countries, women in prison etc.

That's a really great article. 

So it makes me wonder, now that she pulled her publicity stunt and people are talking about it... what's next? How do these people get the help they need? That is the missing piece of the puzzle for me, in terms of her cause. Which, if you read her blog, she doesn't really have a cause (she was actually running for breast cancer awareness). Almost like after she decided to be lazy about her hygiene she thought she should come up with an excuse. I dunno. This line from her blog really stood out to me.

"I got my flow the night before and it was a total disaster but I didn’t want to clean it up"

2015-08-12 10:31 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Well, she stated she did it to raise awareness for women who don't have access to feminine products. Which is a pretty big issue. Not, big like clean water and hunger but a huge challenge nonetheless. The cost of the products in some countries being a weeks worth of wage. Yet trying to maximize the use has pretty negative effect like toxic shock. So, yeah, it is an issue. (Side plug for the Diva Cup BTW. So. Damn. Amazing.)

But anyway, I don't know about the whole part about pretending it doesn't exist. I guess there is a stigma, and yeah, it's a part of life and we shouldn't apologize for it or feel like we can't talk about it.

To answer the question though, no, I wouldn't do it. And I guess props to her for doing it? It seems extreme but then again, we are talking about it...

Same, personally wouldn't do it. And sure, it definitely got us talking ... we recently in Canada had pads/tampons and the like finally added to the sales tax exempt list - it is a necessity for 50% of the population ...

The other part of being able to talk about - i agree to some extent though i don't think doing this is exactly how to do. How about just talking about it? Acknowledging that it is going on and a normal part of life. I often do with other women i am comfortable with but pretty well would never mention it to a man.  It is definitely still a taboo out there.   There was recently that tennis player who said she didn't play as well as she could have because she was on her period. There, that is a good start. 

2015-08-12 10:48 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pro

Oddly enough, I got an e-mail including an ad for this company: http://www.corawomen.com/

Cora is a monthly subscription service - which looks like it includes tampons, pads, and few little other things like tea and dark chocolate... but for every month you purchase, they give a full month's supply to a girl in need. The woman who started it basically felt that  she could make a difference by "selling products to women who did have the means and using the profits for product donation"

Their website says they've given away 16000 pads already. 

Looks like they'll start up again in the fall. I'd subscribe.

2015-08-12 10:49 AM

User image

Oddly enough, I got an e-mail including an ad for this company: http://www.corawomen.com/

Cora is a monthly subscription service - which looks like it includes tampons, pads, and few little other things like tea and dark chocolate... but for every month you purchase, they give a full month's supply to a girl in need. The woman who started it basically felt that  she could make a difference by "selling products to women who did have the means and using the profits for product donation"

Maybe someone should forward that link to the marathon runner with the blog.

2015-08-12 11:07 AM

User image

Seattle

So it makes me wonder, now that she pulled her publicity stunt and people are talking about it... what's next? How do these people get the help they need? That is the missing piece of the puzzle for me, in terms of her cause. Which, if you read her blog, she doesn't really have a cause (she was actually running for breast cancer awareness). Almost like after she decided to be lazy about her hygiene she thought she should come up with an excuse. I dunno. This line from her blog really stood out to me.

"I got my flow the night before and it was a total disaster but I didn’t want to clean it up"

Yeah. It does seem like totally lazy activism. BUT, again I guess it was effective. Per the conversation here.

2015-08-12 11:12 AM

User image

Seattle

Hey, that's great! 

2015-08-12 11:17 AM

User image

Yeah. It does seem like totally lazy activism. BUT, again I guess it was effective. Per the conversation here.

Agreed.  I've learned about menstrual cups, which seems like a great idea to deal with issues in developing countries.

While we're on the subject, any competitive swimmers (or former) out there that have good incite into how a young women deals with menstruation without missing a week of swim every month?  The situation is right around the corner for my girls.

photo Themoreyouknow_zpsyzyrqxdo.jpg

Edited by Hook'em 2015-08-12 11:24 AM
2015-08-12 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

This is funny because it reminds me of when having your period was a legitimate excuse in junior high to skip swimming.  

There's no need to miss anything!  Tampons.  If they are very heavy bleeders this might not be good enough, but the average person should be fine.  I do suggest it' s best to use a fresh one right before and right after the swim.

Agreed.  I've learned about menstrual cups, which seems like a great idea to deal with issues in developing countries.

While we're on the subject, any competitive swimmers (or former) out there that have good incite into how a young women deals with menstruation without missing a week of swim every month?  The situation is right around the corner for my girls.  

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2015-08-12 11:33 AM
2015-08-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

This is funny because it reminds me of when having your period was a legitimate excuse in junior high to skip swimming.  

There's no need to miss anything!  Tampons.  If they are very heavy bleeders this might not be good enough, but the average person should be fine.  I do suggest it' s best to use a fresh one right before and right after the swim.

Potential overshare time!!

I got my period for the first time during the first week of a summer swim season. I didn't miss a practice. My mom was prepared (I'm the 3rd of 4 girls), had smaller sized tampons, and basically told me that my period should never stop me from doing anything I wanted to do.

Be ready to explain that they won't leak, and they should put in a new one before practice, and change it afterwards (as Emily said). Smaller ones with plastic rounded applicators are easiest to start with. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ladies how do you feel about this? Would you do it? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What's your bra done for you lately, ladies?

Started by LHablas
Views: 1125 Posts: 10

2008-06-24 10:23 AM DieuEtMonDroit

OJ to tell how he would have "done it" if he'd done it...

Started by Spokes
Views: 944 Posts: 21

2006-11-21 10:37 AM Tri-Pirate

Anyone doing Ride The Rockies?

Started by MinnesotaBrian
Views: 958 Posts: 2

2005-03-16 1:38 AM max

almost done,

Started by TriMom217
Views: 932 Posts: 5

2004-12-13 12:08 AM max

Oh have I really gone and done it

Started by stina76
Views: 1072 Posts: 5

2004-03-21 6:06 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"