General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/Stiff after Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-12 6:56 PM

User image

Subject: Sore/Stiff after Race
Trust me, I am not complaining! Just curious.

When I did my 1st marathon a couple years ago, I remember barely being able to walk the next day and sore for 4-5 days after.

Fast forward to today with several HIM and marathons in my ledger and training for IMWI in 4 weeks. I finished my HIM 2 weeks ago and other than some soreness in my hips, I barely noticed that I did that race. It was close to a PR for me.

So, either I am really slacking off on those races or something has changed. When you train/race this much, does your body just recover that much easier and doing a race is not as big of a recovery ordeal?

2015-08-12 7:02 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sore/Stiff after Race
I found I was much less sore after my second and third HIM than after my first. Really only sore for about two days, but after that it is more subtle--I find I need to sleep more, not as energetic as usual. I feel fine in the pool and, within a week or so, on the bike, but running takes longer to get back to. I'm fine until I start, or until I try to pick up the pace or go over an hour, but then every little niggle that's bothered me in the past few months wants to have its say. I recently did an Oly 13 days after a HIM (both PB's), but I was only able to get in one decent run workout (as opposed to just easy jogging) before the second race. So even if you don't feel "sore", which is probably due to better muscular endurance and pacing, recovery may still be in progress.
2015-08-12 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
As you get to be a stronger runner, the adaptations mean that you're wearing yourself down much less.

There is a reason that someone from the couch can't go run a hard half marathon hard and expect to feel good after, and someone who is well trained can do a fairly hard half marathon somewhat frequently with little ill effects.

The first race would have simply been somewhere in the middle.

This year I did 2 HM, the first one was rough and I could barely walk the next day, had to take 2 weeks off of training.

4 1/2 months later I took 11 minutes off my time, took one day off, but felt fine, and then did a brick session the day after that.

It's just your body adapting to the training stress, and recovering faster since you're doing less damage, being stronger.
2015-08-12 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
The sorest I have ever been was after a hard effort (for me) on a marathon. A couple of years later after an ultra I (50 miles) was somewhat sore for a couple of days, but nothing like the marathon. Same thing with IM Boulder two weeks ago. A little sore for a day or two and then pretty much normal.
2015-08-13 6:18 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I've done 3 HIM. I was the most prepared for the most recent one and was much less sore than for the previous races. For the previous races, I did not do the long brick workouts I did for the recent race as I did not think I wanted to take the time during the week. For the race this summer, I some longer brick workouts (2-2.5 hr bike/1-1.5 hr run) and I think this really helped.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/Stiff after Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running: How sore is TOO sore?

Started by mcstrangelove
Views: 2433 Posts: 21

2010-10-09 6:43 AM newbz

Hurt, too sore, or just the right amount of sore..I need your wisdom

Started by pga_mike
Views: 961 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 8:37 PM jvanis

Sore/stiff back

Started by BRinSM
Views: 690 Posts: 2

2008-10-06 11:23 AM wurkit_gurl

i love my new bike - stiff stiff stiff!

Started by lisazapato
Views: 3533 Posts: 24

2008-04-25 11:00 AM tech_geezer

How sore it too sore?

Started by la_guerita
Views: 1516 Posts: 20

2006-02-10 6:54 PM element
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I now find that after sitting for long periods of time during the day for two hours or so my knees are very stiff and weak when I then try to move them. Do I need to take better care of my knees?

date : December 7, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
After all these years, had sport become too much like work that it was no longer a respite from that which is labeled work? Or at least feels like it at times?
date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : November 3, 2008
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.
date : June 4, 2008
The bottom of my feet, more specifically the arches, have been sore off an on for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried? Anything I should do to prevent this?

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?
date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : January 29, 2006
Apparently I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and will start PT next week. Are there drills/ strokes that I can do that won't keep my shoulder from healing?